Editing - Hardcopy or computer?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
casnow

Editing - Hardcopy or computer?

Post by casnow » December 18th, 2009, 2:02 am

I sat down and started to do a "final" round of edits on a MS last night. This is my 4th round of self-revision. I did the first 3 on my computer as I was reading along and I found typos, awkward words, etc, but nothing really major. I started this round on a copy I printed out (killed my ink cartridge) and I've made it through 1/4th of the book and I have slashed more useless fluff than in the first 3 rounds combined! I've realized that although I an fix typos on screen I can't do serious edits.

Have any of you noticed the same thing? If I don't have my blue pen in hand, my MS won't improve.

Tzalaran

Re: Editing - Hardcopy or computer?

Post by Tzalaran » December 18th, 2009, 7:37 am

Since i found the Track Changes feature in word, my editing has been done on screen.

before that, i always relied on a printed copy.
I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried.
"Success leads to stagnation. Stagnation leads to failure." - Vlad Taltos

shadow

Post by shadow » December 18th, 2009, 9:35 am

Yes, Trackchanges is very helpful! I use it as well.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Crystal

Post by Crystal » December 18th, 2009, 9:38 am

Though I just started I carry a printed copy with me to work and other places that my computer can't go. I do find that I change and add more things via the printed version then on the computer. It just has a different look and feel when it is on paper I guess.

Tzalaran, I have tried using that track changes thing and it drives me insane! lol. maybe it will be more helpful later on but for now I just ignore it.
Working my very first attempt at a mystery novel. 1st draft

Crystal

Post by Crystal » December 18th, 2009, 9:43 am

shadow wrote:Yes, Trackchanges is very helpful! I use it as well.
Then maybe I am not using it to the best of it's ability....go figure.
Working my very first attempt at a mystery novel. 1st draft

Ermo

Post by Ermo » December 18th, 2009, 10:36 am

I literally can't read my own hand writing so I stick to the computer...

Kaitlyne

Post by Kaitlyne » December 20th, 2009, 6:58 pm

I have the handwriting problem on occasion, as well, Ermo. ;) If I'm writing in a normal notebook I'm okay, but when I'm writing in the really tiny space left on my MS there are so many times I look back and have to decode what was written. My mother would be laughing her socks off at me right now for saying that. :P

Anyway, I do all my major edits by hand. There are a lot of things I'll miss on the screen that I'm less likely to miss by hand, particularly missing words or weird things like that. I also like to be able to carry it around with me, and it gives me a change of pace to keep me sane a little bit longer. ;) Once I've done a few hand-edits and am happy with it (I think I'm on number five right now), I read it through on the computer one more time and make sure I didn't miss any obvious typos or ones that were added in when I entered the last changes.

It's also kind of nice to see the differences when I look at it. It's easier for me to grasp the difference when I've cut two hundred pages when I have it printed out in front of me.

Alexandra Little

Post by Alexandra Little » December 21st, 2009, 2:02 am

I do both hard copy and computer, but what I've noticed when I edit is that I have to do it in a format different from when I wrote it. That means either printing it out and hand editing, or changing paragraph spacing, or using track changes. As long as I do something different from the format that I was last writing in, I find that I edit more efficiently.
WIP #1: young adult fantasy, rewriting/editing
WIP #2: young adult fantasy, first draft
WIP #3: young adult fantasy, twinkle in the author's eye

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 21st, 2009, 2:12 am

98% of my editing is done on hard copy. That makes sense I prefer to write hard copy. I find it makes it easier since: I am a tactile person, I am more focused and don't get distracted by the internet, and in a story that has several POV's it's easier to lay things out and see how they look.

CV

casnow

Post by casnow » December 21st, 2009, 10:46 am

I am 1/2 way through edit round #4... this is the first one on hardcopy, and I'm on pace to eliminate 8-10k words from the manuscript... I guess I'll have to keep killing rainforests.

HeatherLane

Post by HeatherLane » December 21st, 2009, 1:21 pm

I would love to do all my edits on hard copy, but that would waste a lot of paper and ink. I have recently started reading my ms in the reading layout on word--it looks like a book, and for some reason gives me a different perspective. It's surprisingly helpful.

kristi

Post by kristi » December 21st, 2009, 4:47 pm

I use both but now that I'm nearing the end of the revision process (I hope), I printed out another copy of the ms and am going through it line by line. It works well for me for some reason. Good luck w/ your revisions!

Bron

Post by Bron » December 21st, 2009, 6:24 pm

I can't imagine writing a draft by hand, but I've found when it comes to structural editing it's better to print it out. Even though I have a decent-sized monitor, it still limits how much text you can see at one time, and I would find myself line editing. By printing out my draft, I can spread out my pages and skim through many at once to identify what needs to be cut, etc. Once I'm on to line editing I'll go back to the computer, but for me, printing is a must for structural editing.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » December 21st, 2009, 9:11 pm

You know, if it wasn't for a computer and a word processing program, I never would have gotten this book written. I can't imagine what it would have been like to type it out and then make all of the changes the manuscript has been through. Still, I stink at editing on the screen. I have to print it out and take pen in hand and read it slowly. I think it has to do with the fact that the sheet of paper contains nothing that isn't related to the story.

My critique partner uses the Word change tracker to provide her feedback, but even then I convert her suggestions to the printed page and then return to my updated document. Cumbersome? Perhaps. But dependable. And I have a good record of progress to look back on.

SarahW

Post by SarahW » December 22nd, 2009, 12:24 pm

At a friend's suggestion, I'm finding that the Review feature in Word helps me edit as effectively on screen as on paper--as effectively as I ever manage the process, anyway.

I'm still scribbing in the margins, and <ctrl-F> makes it easier to mark the ripples of change than flipping through the entire MS over and over.

I still print out the occasional chapter when I can't bring my Netbook with me, but many trees have and will be saved.

Maybe this technology stuff isn't so bad . . .