Double Narrative Structure

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
writeitsideways

Re: Double Narrative Structure

Post by writeitsideways » March 10th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Thanks, Marilyn :) I've been waiting for "The Poisonwood Bible" to come available at my local library. Looking forward to reading it!

ladymarella

Post by ladymarella » March 16th, 2010, 3:59 am

A really good book with double narrative structure is 'The House at Riverton' by Kate Morton (called The Shifting Fog in Australia) It's told from the point of view of the one charcter but is set in two different time periods that are both revealed to the reader at the simltaneously.
Morton's second book 'The Forgotten Garden' has a triple narrative structure by three different MCs in thre different time periods.
I think both would be useful if you are planning to write a story with double narrative structure, and they are both amazingly well written books
Currently composing a sprawling family saga set in 19th century England
The world may be divided into people that read, people that write, people that think, and fox-hunters.'- William Shenstone,

Jaime

Post by Jaime » March 16th, 2010, 7:19 am

Hey there, fellow Aussie!

I've also written a double narrative, chapter by chapter, and my beta readers have had no trouble following it, at all. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. As long as it flows, and gives the reader what they need to move the story forward, you should just go with your gut.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » March 17th, 2010, 12:34 pm

East by Edith Pattou has a multiple POV structure. I liked it alot.

CV

writeitsideways

Post by writeitsideways » March 18th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Thanks ladymarella, Jaime and CharleeVale!

I read "The Forgotten Garden" recently, and I'm on the look-out for "The Shifting Fog." Haven't heard of "East," but I'll check it out.

Jaime, I do live in Australia, but I'm actually Canadian born and raised. I think there are a few Aussies on this forum, though.

Thank you again, everyone :)