Swearwords. US vs. the rest

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
eringayles

Re: Swearwords. US vs. the rest

Post by eringayles » March 5th, 2010, 11:11 pm

taylormillgirl wrote:
eringayles wrote: Yep, Taylor, you dirty old woman, you got it in one!
It's not yet my family's wake-up time (they sleep in on Sat mornings) and I let out a huge belly-laugh when I read your question. Everyone came running down to give me mouth-to-mouth.
Regards,
Eringayles
Oh my gawd...did you just call me an old woman? That's worse than telling me to go root myself. (Did I use root correctly in that sentence?) ;-)
Sorry Tails, old thing. See, there's the crunch. In Oz , if a woman gets a 'blue' joke, she's a DOW. It's a term of endearment, but you started searching for wrinkles, dintya? And for using 'root' correctly, you get 100% for rooting! :)

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 5th, 2010, 11:13 pm

victoria wrote:hahah nice try!!!

I'd never thought that the word damn would be an offensive word (seeing as how much it's used here in aust) and hadn't really thought much about AUS vs US lang use - so thanks!!!

But on that point eringayles, I've always been mindful of not using aussie slang unless I was pitching here - and then I'd proudly call my MC a bogan!! ;)
Yeah, tell him to go pick! :)

Jaime

Post by Jaime » March 6th, 2010, 2:06 am

God, I LOVE that there are Aussies on here! We had another 'root' conversation on a different thread. Hi Kay! *waves* :)

I mean, crikey, we've got sheilas and blokes throwing the 'root' word around like it's goin' outta fashion!
Nick wrote:
aspiring_x wrote: but i can't think of any words that would turn mainstream america against your novel.
Certain C word might. Only seen that turn up in one non-erotic piece of literature, and that was by a Brit. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but that is one that definitely does not come up a lot, American literature or otherwise. Actually I'm almost tempted to use it in a story one of these days, just to see what the publisher persons say. That is definitely still a big no-no in a lot of places.
Yeah, I was quite shocked to read the 'C' word in one of Diana Gabaldon's books a few weeks ago. I'm not a prude (at all), but it did make me gasp like an eighteenth century socialite at a dinner party with the Governor.

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 6th, 2010, 3:05 am

Jaime wrote:God, I LOVE that there are Aussies on here! We had another 'root' conversation on a different thread. Hi Kay! *waves* :)

I mean, crikey, we've got sheilas and blokes throwing the 'root' word around like it's goin' outta fashion!
Nick wrote:
aspiring_x wrote: but i can't think of any words that would turn mainstream america against your novel.
Certain C word might. Only seen that turn up in one non-erotic piece of literature, and that was by a Brit. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but that is one that definitely does not come up a lot, American literature or otherwise. Actually I'm almost tempted to use it in a story one of these days, just to see what the publisher persons say. That is definitely still a big no-no in a lot of places.
Yeah, I was quite shocked to read the 'C' word in one of Diana Gabaldon's books a few weeks ago. I'm not a prude (at all), but it did make me gasp like an eighteenth century socialite at a dinner party with the Governor.
G,day mate. Yeah, the Yanks haven't twigged the turtle, but we've got 'em by the short 'n curlies. Ready for the takeover? UP THE ANZACS!!

Jaime

Post by Jaime » March 6th, 2010, 3:10 am

LOL! C'arn the Aussies! =P

E McD

Post by E McD » March 6th, 2010, 10:00 am

BWAH HA HA HA! This is a fantastic thread!

...And I'm getting an education in the process. I'm lovin' all of these foreign foul words. :)
-Emily McDaniel

Nick

Post by Nick » March 6th, 2010, 10:32 am

Jaime wrote:
Nick wrote:
Hoo boy, my heart stopped for a second when I saw that in the book I mentioned above. Just kind of a quick blow to the gut. I have a mouth like you wouldn't believe and when I first learned that word I used it way more often than I should've, and it still induced a bit of shock. And yet it didn't faze me at all when it cropped up in a movie...but that might also be because it was John Hurt saying it, and everything John Hurt says is badass, because he is John effing Hurt.

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 6th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Okay, you debauched mob, this swearing diversion has been a hoot (although the original question was genuine - damned genuine. I really did think 'damned' was a no-no in US) but now I'm going back to my first attempt at YA. It's fantasy/horror based on characters from Irish mythology.
You all sound so lovely that you've motivated me to consider posting the first chapter for (UGH) criticism. Give me about two weeks, then keep your eye(s) out for 'Don't Go Into the Garden'.
Thanks again - wish I could meet y'all in person. Reckon we'd have a ball - or two. (Get it, young Taylor?)
Regards,
Erin