NEW - Nominate Your Query for a Critique on the Blog

Offer up your page (or query) for Nathan's critique on the blog.
CVCort

Re: NEW - Nominate Your Query for a Critique on the Blog

Post by CVCort » July 9th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Query: When Happily Ever After Fails

Dear Agent:
Abigail Gardner was the kind of person who could feel alone in a crowded room. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it – because said tree’s parents were dead and twentysomething friends can only provide so much support – does it still make a sound?
Tired of feeling sorry for herself and trying her hand once more at teaching, a skill that came easy for her father, Abigail sets out to rewrite the rules on endings. Tragic endings, to be exact. Motivated by an assigned reading list full of death and destruction and strong-armed by her prep school’s headmistress into helping the drama club, Abigail begins to realize that tragedies don’t have to stay that way.
But can revising a few sad endings really prevent her fifth and sixth graders from experiencing such negative themes so early on? More importantly, can her exercise in revisionist history help her write her own happy ending, or was her fate doomed from the start?
When Happily Ever After Fails is a 94,000-word women’s fiction novel with series potential. It is available, in part or in full, upon request.
I am a full-time freelance writer who contributes to print magazines, online publications and broadcast segments. I hold Bachelor of Arts degrees in English and sociology from UC Irvine, and a Master of Arts in journalism from USC. I also spent a semester studying British literature at Cambridge University (Pembroke). Like Abigail, I know what it’s like to go through life as an only child with two deceased parents, a theme I have previously explored in Chicken Soup for the Soul.
I thank you for your time and consideration.

BrendaHaas

Post by BrendaHaas » July 11th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Dear Agent,

After reading your #MSWL listing and noting your interest in unique settings, I am submitting sample pages of SUTTON’S CHOICE, a contemporary women’s fiction. Complete at approximately 80,000 words, the story explores the ties binding us to our roots.

When Charlotte Sutton’s estranged father, a retired baseball player and prize-winning author, is thought to have early onset Alzheimer’s disease, the 28-year-old writer returns to her hometown of Lakeside, Ohio, to face her past and the Lake Erie life from which she fled 10 years prior.

Since her hasty departure from the vintage, waterfront community of ivy-covered cottages with unlocked doors, Charlotte has snagged a city job and mostly—barely—stepped out from behind Chuck Sutton’s shadow. Still, she struggles to bury memories of her parents’ pre-divorce brawls, the chatter of small-town gossips, and the “Three strikes, you’re out!” with every bat, ball, and glove the charismatic patriarch of the family thrust into her hands when she was a child. Upon her homecoming for the first time since her high school graduation—one of many life events Chuck did not attend—Charlotte is greeted by a teenage half-sibling she didn’t know she had and a father who has lost all but a glimmer of his former swagger. The family newspaper is failing as quickly as its editor’s health. Charlotte must decide to embrace the Sutton legacy or leave for good, as she comes to understand Chuck’s life choices and her own misconceptions about what it means to plant family roots in small-town Ohio.

I am a past reporter and columnist for Penn Franklin News Publishing Company (a Pittsburgh press). My writing has also appeared in Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and The Beacon newspapers, in addition to Leisure Living Magazine and My Outer Banks Home magazine. Now living in Lakeside (a real Chautauqua community attracting hundreds of thousands of annual vacationers), I run a writing program at the library, am a member of a critique group, and maintain a writing advocacy website with blog at www.powerofpages.com.

Thank you very much for considering my manuscript, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Brenda Haas

LeaSloan

Post by LeaSloan » July 15th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Dear (Name of Agent),

I am seeking representation for my middle-grade fantasy-adventure with a climate theme: THE POLAR BEAR KING. It’s a story with heart and humor that will appeal to kids who love science, magic, adventure and animals, and I hope to you too.

Siblings Pan and Tari are swept into a mission: to save the Polar Bear King. Called upon by their friend and adventure partner, Jasper the invisible purple dog, they magically rocket to the Arctic. The King has set out to find new lands for his animal subjects as the changing climate threatens their way of life. They must find him and persuade him to return, before he drowns or the native hunters find him, and the kingdom loses its beloved leader.

Pan’s a skeptic. How could he help save the King? He can’t even make his parents proud of him. But his sister Tari leaps at every hurdle, sometimes rashly. She’s passionate about saving the animals. Pan thinks the Inuit need to help determine the outcome. Jasper wants to be a worthy mentor and earn his Wizard robe.

They confront escalating challenges. They find a magical muskox horn and call together a quirky animal team. They have to negotiate with the local fishermen but earn the friendship and help of the Inuit Captain’s son, a boy their age. Woven through the story are legends told by the Inuits and the animals that shed light on solving problems they face and using the mystical tools that come their way.

The book is planned as the first of a fantasy-adventure series for kids in the context of a changing climate. My expertise in those areas was enhanced by a decade as head of communications at (--), promoting kids programming that included addressing difficult issues in an entertaining way, and since then with a national environmental nonprofit (---) . I also serve as a volunteer with (---) on their national Forests and Climate Team.

The completed manuscript, 57,800 words, is available upon request. Thank you for considering it.

AndrewStiller

Re: NEW - Nominate Your First Page for a Critique on the Blog

Post by AndrewStiller » September 17th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Dear Agent:

If you are familiar with THE STATIONERY SHOP, by Marjan Kamali, you may be interested in representing THE PROMISE which shares similar thematic elements.

In the late summer of 1961, a young German couple, Willie and Mina, are forced to live on opposite sides of the Berlin Wall. Willie finds himself trapped in East Berlin. With no resources at his disposal, he must find a way to remain undetected in order to escape and reunite with Mina who has been living with friends in the West. After months of careful planning and preparation, he makes his way through the sewer system to freedom, but not before being seriously wounded in a shootout with a pair of guards. Upon his recovery he asks for Mina and learns that, in his long absence, her fashion career has successfully launched and she is no longer living in Germany.

Willie promises to find Mina and begins his search with little information to guide him. His travels take him to the colorful fashion district of Paris where a chance encounter with an older gentleman, Pierre, holds the key to reuniting the young couple. But before Pierre can help, he must first come to terms with the demons from his own past that have estranged him from the people he loves.

THE PROMISE is upmarket fiction at 70,000 words. The story is inspired by my travels through Eastern Europe during the height of the Cold War and is a tribute to three generations of women in my family who are accomplished dressmakers.

I would be thrilled if you would consider THE PROMISE for representation. Thank you very much, and I hope to speak with you soon.

Andrew Stiller

kimharnes

Post by kimharnes » October 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Thank you, Nathan!

Dear Agent,

Miriam’s boyfriend has been murdered, and she’s placing the blame on God. Hell-bent on rebelling against anything that has to do with church, including her hypocritical mother and the peer counseling that’s been forced upon her for showing up to youth group drunk, she has put up walls even the trumpets at Jericho would have trouble bringing down.
Though her peer counselors have the best of intentions, Miriam is perfectly content to be perfectly miserable, and she flings scripture back at them like Satan at the Last Temptation of Christ. One by one they count her a lost cause—an unrepentant sinner—until only her last option remains, but this new guy is not taking the same tactics as the rest of the counselors who came before him. Miriam can’t exactly trash his logic and deny his reasoning if he won’t debate Christianity with her like the rest.
Though he is effective in his unorthodox tactics and making progress where no one else could even scratch the surface, he is genuinely charming and handsome. Miriam, in addition to being angry at everyone for everything, is crippled by feelings of betrayal to her dead boyfriend when she even thinks about the possibility of moving on.
Especially with a Pastor’s Kid.
Desperate to have someone make sense of her wretched existence, she finally turns to God—waiting impatiently for answers as to why He lets bad things happen to good people. But when she finally does hear His voice, He asks her to do the impossible. He asks her to forgive: her boyfriend’s murderer, her alcoholic mother, and ultimately, herself.
Complete at 62,000 words, SECOND CHANCE is a YA Contemporary Christian novel that answers some tough questions about free will, forgiveness, and God’s hand in it all.
My debut novel, a YA Psychological Thriller titled STILL PHOTO, was released by Evernight Teen in 2014. It jumped to the top 5 in sales almost immediately after publication, and spent 11 months at #1. It has received excellent reviews, and was a finalist for ET’s Best YA and Killer Nashville Reader’s Choice awards. I am also an active member of the SCBWI, and have led the local critique group and taught several workshops on the craft of writing.
The first three chapters of SECOND CHANCE appear below for your consideration. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or if you would like to see more of the manuscript.
Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kim

TheSoundAndFury

Post by TheSoundAndFury » October 26th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Dear Mr./Mrs. Agent's Last Name,

My name is John, and I'm excited to share my debut novel with you because of your interest in adult science fiction and thrillers. I believe your interest in (MSWL quote) would make my novel a perfect fit. Complete at 86,000 words, NEON FEVER will appeal to fans of Ghost in the Shell, and The Bone Collector.

Kain Forsyth is broken. After an attack while serving a tour off world with the United Offworld Special Forces, Kain finds himself unable to receive any cybernetic enhancements. No new organs, no new limbs, no second chances. His struggles leave him resentful and bitter in a world where everyone and everything is connected via neural implants.

Reckless and hostile, His struggles leave him resentful but Kain finally finds his calling when a hyper-advanced A.I begins to infiltrate the neural network, hijacking the bodies of its victims and forcing them to commit horrible murders. Kain’s illness makes him one of the only people immune to the attacks, but also puts him at a disadvantage against the dangerous semi-robotic citizens the A.I sends after him.

With the help of a talented hacker with a personal tie to the hunt, Kain must put his PTSD and self-loathing aside in order to out smart the killer. As he closes in on the mastermind, Kain discovers this killer might not be seeking vengeance but trying to save the world.

I’m currently a programmer for the State of Florida. My short fiction has been published in Daily Science Fiction. I’ve also had a strong love for everything Science Fiction and I am currently seeking a bachelor's degree in Creative Writing at the University of Central Florida.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

JasonOkan

Post by JasonOkan » October 28th, 2020, 12:56 am

"Don't go in, my dear. Don't go in."

Layla Akins heard these words repeated to her over and over in the same dream every night. The words were always spoken by her mother whose death had left her shattered less than a year ago.

Unhappy with her father and his new girlfriend, she accepts the nomination along with some other students to represent her school at the historic Model United Nations Conference taking place for the first time in Lagos, Nigeria.

Peace is all she was searching for and she believed that time away from home was what she needed. But the peace she desperately sought was non-existent as strange things begin happening at the hotel.

Other students that came to the conference start to go missing from the hotel. A malevolent entity walks the grounds bringing darkness in its wake. And a mysterious boy, a boy who may be more than any boy she’s ever met, could pull her into a world of wonder and intrigue if she lets him.

As tensions begin to run high among the conference attendees, Layla will have to decide if, despite her grief and weakened mental state, she is strong enough to resist the call of the entity or be taken into the darkness forever.

Complete at 71,000 words, THE VALLEY AT DUSK is a Young-Adult speculative fiction novel with elements of horror and fantasy. The character-driven plots with multiple POVs will appeal to fans of Stephen King’s IT, Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows trilogy, and the Netflix TV show; Stranger Things.

I am currently a lawyer living in Lagos, Nigeria with over a thousand followers combined from both my Instagram and Twitter handles @thejasonokan.

AndrewStiller

Post by AndrewStiller » October 29th, 2020, 4:15 pm

If you are familiar with THE STATIONERY SHOP, by Marjan Kamali, you may be interested in representing THE PROMISE which shares similar thematic elements.
In the late summer of 1961, a young German couple, Willie and Mina, are forced to live on opposite sides of the Berlin Wall. Willie finds himself trapped in East Berlin. With no resources at his disposal, he must find a way to remain undetected in order to escape and reunite with Mina who has been living with friends in the West. After months of careful planning and preparation, he makes his way through the sewer system to freedom, but not before being seriously wounded in a shootout with a pair of guards. Upon his recovery he asks for Mina and learns that, in his long absence, her fashion career has successfully launched and she is no longer living in Germany.
Willie promises to find Mina and begins his search with little information to guide him. His travels take him to the colorful fashion district of Paris where a chance encounter with an older gentleman, Pierre, holds the key to reuniting the young couple. But before Pierre can help, he must first come to terms with the demons from his own past that have estranged him from the people he loves.
THE PROMISE is upmarket fiction at 71,300 words. The story is inspired by my travels through Eastern Europe during the height of the Cold War and is a tribute to three generations of women in my family who are accomplished dressmakers.
I would be grateful if you would consider THE PROMISE for representation. Thank you very much, and I hope to speak with you soon.
Andrew Stiller

Neil Larkins

Post by Neil Larkins » October 30th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Dear [Agent name]

I've seen several books you have represented and you indicate that you welcome memoir. Following is a query for my double memoir, The Last Time You Fall: Three Weeks When Love Meant Everything and Acceptance Meant More. This is a double memoir, so also features the words of Teresa, told in vignettes and reminiscences by "Me" or "Her."
It began amid a critical period in my life, September, 1964 at a college dance where I met a cute, blonde Coed. After a rocky start - I was smitten by her looks and smile; she loathed me - we became an item. From there our lives intertwined and traveled in parallel while we attended classes, wrangled precious time together, and learned about love and acceptance. Love, because we wanted it. Acceptance, because we needed it, especially Teresa. Born handicapped by cerebral palsy, she'd craved it all her life.
Yet we were very different. I originated from a lower-middle class family, while Teresa was from money and privilege. Our one commonality was that we each loved art, music and dance. We did have similar goals: we both wanted to escape our restricted lives growing up: I aspired to be an architect; Teresa to become a Special Education teacher. There were contrasts: I was naïve in many ways; she disarmingly street smart, savvy - and charming. She was crippled - her word - and I didn't care; I fell totally in love with everything about her. She felt the same about me and gave her best advice to polish the "sterling character" she said I had.
All this was out in the open to us both and by week three I was ready to ask her to marry me.
Yet everything was not as it seemed. My life had started to coalesce, while Teresa's life shredded as threats of expulsion crushed in on her. Teresa hid this deterioration from me and then abruptly cut off our relationship. She timidly confessed that her words and actions had all been a lie, that she'd merely played with me in response to a dare from dormmates. Besides, she was promised to another.
What happened after that, what I did and most importantly, what she almost did and why is the rest of the story.

This work is complete at 81,600 words.

Thank you for considering this. Profile for me under separate cover.
Last edited by Neil Larkins on December 28th, 2020, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlo

Fishbelly White Mystery/Romance

Post by Marlo » December 13th, 2020, 2:57 am

Fishbelly White, my mystery (with a romance) complete at 90,000 words, would sit on the bookshelf with Hallie Ephron, and Charlaine Harris’ Aurora Teagarden series. It is Jessica Fletcher meets The Turner Diaries.

Claudia Perry, 50ish, myopic, asthmatic, zaftig, stubborn and full of gumption is a successful freelance travel writer. Recently widowed, she longs to be a part of a family, though thoroughly dislikes the one she has. It is summer 1995 when she returns to her hometown of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho to reconcile her relationship with Betti, her size 4 widowed mother, and her sycophant younger brother, Artie. She feels guilt at the stirrings of new emotions as she renews her friendship with her old high school crush, now sheriff, Frank Adams. When he arrests Artie on charges of murder and counterfeiting for white supremacists, she, too, is convinced of her brother’s guilt. Betti pleads with her to prove him innocent. Claudia dives into his world of the evangelical alt-right, taking with her, Phyllis Corlett, her best friend from childhood. When she confides their discoveries to her late father’s law partner, “Uncle” George Kapell and to the sheriff, she learns one of them is a member of the white supremacist, “Sovereign Nations.”

I have been given access to materials taken from the former Aryan Nations headquarters gathered by undercover Kootenai County (Idaho) sheriff’s deputies. Fishbelly was inspired by true events involving counterfeit operations in North Idaho and the Western states that white supremacists used to finance their activities.

A native of Coeur d’Alene, my weekly by-lined column ran in the San Mateo Times for thirteen years and I continue to freelance with travel writing. A former faculty member of the Santa Barbara Writers Conference, I am a member of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, the Historical Novel Society of North America and Willamette Writers.

This book is a stand-alone with series potential. I have pasted the first ten pages below.

I look forward to hearing from you.

brownwr

Post by brownwr » March 30th, 2021, 10:14 am

Dear Agent,

According to your agency's website, you are actively seeking middle-grade fiction, so I'm pleased to introduce my novel, Kolin Grey and The Misty Moors Academy.

Kolin Grey and his twin sister Kaira find themselves hurled into a world their parents left behind. When a former Professor enters their store, turning their world upside down. Left with no options, their parents return to their former life, leading to their deaths at the hands of the Order of Night. A group that practices dark wizardry.

Trying their best to adapt, Kolin and Kaira now live with their Grandmother Eleanor Grey, a virtual stranger near the town of Greymorr. A place that chooses not to adopt modern ways. Greymorr and the villages around it would be as if one traveled back to the early nineteen hundreds.

Kolin and Kaira never fit in at their school in the city. For some reason, making friends was not easy, and unable to relate to their classmates. They now attend the same academy as their parents did. An academy that teaches more than your basic subjects, unless you count wand-making basic. They make two new friends, which they can relate to in Avery Stansberry and Walter Thornton.

Kolin and Kaira cannot sit idly by and start unraveling the trail that leads to their parent's actual killers with help from their friends. Bit by bit Kolin and Kaira learn more about their parent's magical past and why they kept it a secret.

Kolin Grey and the Misty Moors Academy is complete at 78,000 words of Middle-grade fiction and available at your request. It would appeal to fans that miss the magic of Harry Potter.

I have two children middle-grade reader that inspired me to write my first novel.

Thank you for your time and consideration

GregMc

Post by GregMc » April 9th, 2021, 9:36 am

Nathan / all,

Thanks for looking at this.

Greg

---------------

Dear {agent},

{Insert personalization} I am eager to introduce you to my debut fantasy novel, Induction.

How far would you go to fulfill a promise?

Daniel Tree believed he’d turned over a new leaf. A new town, a respectable job and a fantastic girlfriend overshadowed years as an orphan on the streets.

But after divine conscription, Daniel must serve for three years or death, whichever comes first. Starting tomorrow morning. Despite slim odds of survival and irrational fear of promises, he vows to return.

Kaedre, his god, sees Daniel as a tool with intriguing potential. To start, she’ll demand that he learn his new powers, reconcile his parents’ deaths, and join an assault on an enemy stronghold. If he survives his first week, she will invest more in him. If he dies, she has thousands of Chosen and will conscript more. A tool’s usefulness isn’t measured in longevity alone.

Within five days, Daniel will have to embrace his past while figuring out where his allegiances lie. He’ll also have to weigh the cost of breaking his promise against the means required to fulfill it. If he goes too far, wouldn’t it be better not to return at all?

This manuscript is complete at 97,000 words and the first of a three-book series, which is also marketable as a standalone work. I believe it would appeal to those who enjoyed Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games trilogy and Leigh Bardugo's Crooked Kingdom, or similar works around fast-paced stories and gray moral conflict.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

MaryDuquette

Post by MaryDuquette » April 22nd, 2021, 6:24 pm

Dear (agent's name),

Fifteen-year-old Georgia is a dead ringer for Twiggy, and is obsessed with pyramids, and with Ben, intern in the special ed class – even though her moronic fascination with him makes her a complete hippopotamus. She doesn’t speak, but she writes letters to her dead mother and is drawn to the drama of the hurricanes passing through her home with her Aunt Bridger and Uncle Joey in 1967 coastal Maine. Maybe it’s because she survived a tornado when she was just an infant. Maybe the roar of the storm, the hum, makes up for the lasting silence inhabiting her.

Georgia’s quiet, snarky, genius mind renders her an anomaly in the center of a provincial existence - a riddle her school guidance counselors try to solve. Bridger and Joey struggle to maintain a connection with her while battling their own personal loss of a child and failing marriage, when a well-hidden secret about Georgia’s mother is revealed unexpectedly - and Georgia is forced to forgive the truth about her past, realizing there is extraordinary in the mundane. The essence of the daily, the pull on your sneakers and run outside. The grip of your fingers on a rake. The sliver of a moon behind the shadow of your hand.

I am seeking representation for my completed 75,000-word novel, AND THAT DIVINE EYE. I am a graduate of the MFA program in Writing with a concentration in Fiction at the University of New Hampshire. I won the Dawkins Prize for best overall thesis at the University of New Hampshire for my short story collection. I am a member of the New Hampshire Writers' Project.

My work has been published in Epiphany, The Good Life Review, and Ginosko Literary Magazine. I was included in a pulp fiction anthology entitled "Murder Ink 3: Even More Tales of Newsroom Crime.” I’ve recently completed two novels and a poetry collection.

AND THAT DIVINE EYE would probably be shelved with books by authors such as Liane Moriarty, Maria Semple, and Jennifer Egan.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

sandviolin

Post by sandviolin » May 26th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Dear [Agent],

I am looking for representation for The Music Lovers, an upmarket novel of 85,000 words about two professional musicians who are able to recover from an infidelity that nearly destroys their marriage through the power of music. Fritz, concertmaster of the San Francisco Opera Orchestra, has a performance meltdown that leads to his being unfaithful. In the aftermath, Amanda, his wife, leaves her position in the bass section and takes up a post with the Sydney Philharmonic. Fritz remains what he calls ‘retrospectively faithful’, hoping Amanda will return to him, until he learns that she has entered into a relationship with a colleague. He then becomes involved with his orchestra stand partner, the brilliant but impetuous Marka, on the rebound. When the three of them are brought together in the pressure-cooker setting of the Stanford Music Festival, Marka self-destructs while Fritz and Amanda decide to give their marriage another chance.

Based on my experience as a professional violinist with the San Francisco Opera Orchestra, and as a music director of ensembles around the world, The Music Lovers offers readers an intimate look into the world of classical musicians, where professional and emotional lives are inextricably entwined. This novel will appeal to fans of Daphne Kalotay’s Sight Reading and Amy Poeppel’s Musical Chairs, as well as to lovers of classical music interested in getting an inside view of the joys and terror of live performance.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this query.
Michael Sand

MaryDuquette

Post by MaryDuquette » June 24th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Dear -----,

Sixteen-year-old Georgia is a dead ringer for Twiggy, and is obsessed with pyramids, the moon, and with Ben, intern extraordinaire. She doesn’t speak, but she writes letters to her dead mother and is drawn to the drama of the hurricanes passing through her home with her Aunt Bridger and Uncle Joey in 1967 coastal New Hampshire. Maybe it’s because she survived a tornado when she was just an infant. Maybe it's the the roar of the storm, the hum, that makes up for the lasting silence inhabiting her.

Georgia’s remarkable, genius mind renders her an anomaly in the middle of a provincial existence - a riddle her school guidance counselors try to solve. Bridger and Joey struggle to maintain a connection with her, while battling their own personal loss of a child and failing marriage, when a well-hidden secret about Georgia’s mother is revealed unexpectedly - and Georgia is forced to discover and forgive the truth about her past, recognizing there is wonder in the mundane. The essence of the daily, the pull on your sneakers and run outside. The grip of your fingers on a rake. The sliver of a moon behind the shadow of your hand.

I am seeking representation for my completed 70,000-word novel, AND THAT DIVINE EYE. I am a graduate of the MFA program in Writing with a concentration in Fiction at the University of New Hampshire. I won the Dawkins Prize for best overall thesis at the University of New Hampshire, for my short story collection. I am a member of the New Hampshire Writers' Project.

My work has been published in Epiphany, The Good Life Review, and Ginosko Literary Magazine. I was included in a pulp fiction anthology entitled "Murder Ink 3.” I’ve recently completed two novels and a poetry collection. I’m currently at work editing another novel. AND THAT DIVINE EYE would probably be shelved with books by authors such as Liane Moriarty, Maria Semple, and Jennifer Egan. Thank you for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,