The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
r louis scott

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by r louis scott » February 16th, 2010, 10:52 pm

E McD wrote:R Louis Scott,

You're awesome, dude. Always friendly, always helpful.

Hugs, Em
I'm blushing here. Do you see me blushing? Well, I am :)

miahayson wrote:Funnily enough, nobody ever says "Auch aye the noo" though
Funnily enough, I say that all the time.

dementedtinkerbell

Post by dementedtinkerbell » February 17th, 2010, 6:57 am

*waves*

I'm Emma and I generally hide out in a rather large industrial town in Northern England. I've been writing random little stories for my kids for years but in the last year or so, I've knuckled down and become serious about it. I love reading dark fantasy so it only makes sense that I write in that genre although I have written in others.

I have two kids, an insane tomcat and I'm addicted to stationary. This forum has been a brilliant help to me even though I've only recently become a member after lurkdom became boring. I'm currently in a bit of a funk because of someone who self-published but I'm sure I can get out of it eventually and recapture my zing.

I look forward to getting to know everyone :-D

Emma
Me to my girl: You're grounded until you're dead
Her: You mean 'til you're dead right?
Me: No, I'll enforce it from beyond the grave
Her: *gulp*

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » February 17th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Aloha!

Writer on the north shore of Kauai, one novel published, second in the editing phase, shall be querying this summer. MFA in screenwriting from UCLA. Money earned in Second Life, avatar name Rusalka Writer. Don't be a stranger!

christi

Post by christi » February 17th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Heya, Craig. I'm Christi (obviously) and hail from Texas.

As you can see by my number of comments, I normally hover around the forums, but the last week I've been trying to stay away a lot to get my manuscript all shiny and help another author with their novel. This place can get very distracting.

Welcome aboard. I hope you find it as helpful as I do.
Would you sign my story for a Klondike bar?

http://christigoddard.blogspot.com/

shadow

Post by shadow » February 18th, 2010, 9:00 am

Hey there! I am actually from Canada too. I live right by Toronto. Any who I write Fantasy, anything with sword fighting and awesomeness like that but I just finished my first romance, and by that I completely surprised myself. I love music, play the guitar and some piano. Love sport, I compete in competitive tennis and am planning to follow that up very seriously since I am still in the right age. The Fantasy novel that I am rewriting was my first, I have never written before so all awesomeness I think I am improving. Ok, cool to meet ya and I will see you on the forums!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Jaime

Post by Jaime » February 19th, 2010, 7:25 am

Hi Craig!

My name is Jaime and I come from South Australia, where we are currently experiencing a heat wave. Yep, you heard me Justine! HEAT. WAVE. Mwa ha haaaa!

Although I may come across as evil, I'm actually not. I'm going to turn 30 this year . . . and just had a fit writing that out . . . it looks even worse in print!!! But it's the new 20's, right? RIGHT? *Deep breath* I have a gorgeous little boy, I married my high school sweetheart, and I'm a scientist (some might say mad scientist, but, meh).

I decided 14 months ago (counting, who, me?) that I didn't want to be the 80-year-old woman who always wanted to be a writer, but never actually did it. So, I punched out my first novel, which I am about to start querying, and I've had the time of my life writing it. Writing has always been my passion, but I went and got a real job at the request of my parents. Pfft. *rolls eyes*. Now all I want to do is write, so I'm hoping I can do it well enough to make it my real job!

And, yes, you're free to read my comments in an Aussie accent. I'll chuck in a few "mates" and "g'day"s for your entertainment :)

Like Christi said, this place can get pretty distracting. It's great because procrastination is my middle name, and I've met a lot of really nice, helpful, encouraging people here. I personally don't know anybody who writes, so these forums are a little home away from home. Hope you find it helpful :)
dementedtinkerbell wrote:
. . . and I'm addicted to stationary.
Emma
I actually inhaled quickly with a smile on my face at this. You're addicted to stationery? Me too! You could find me at any given time in a stationery store, lying in an aisle, salivating . . . Because I need those notebooks. And those pens. And there's nothing better than a packet of fresh, white paper. Or HIGHLIGHTERS!!! No, honestly, I didn't know how much I needed them until I saw them . . . and now they must be mine.
Last edited by Jaime on February 19th, 2010, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dementedtinkerbell

Post by dementedtinkerbell » February 19th, 2010, 7:39 am

*Cheesy Grin*

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about stationary! I absolutely have to have that stripy notebook and those pens! They must be mine because I'll just die without them hehe.

Everybody who knows me in real life thinks that I have far too much stationary and that it isn't worth spending money on it because it isn't used immediately. They don't realise that each and every notebook is a story waiting to happen, and that it needs to ruminate on my shelf for a while until that story enters my head, grrr.

They don't understand that once you find that perfect writing paper and that perfect pen, you must immediately go out and buy as much as you can before the shop sells out because they will, they always do; it's Murphy's Law.

At least I know that I'm not alone now! Perhaps we should set up a group for people addicted to stationary?

Goodness know what we would call it though, Staddicts? Stataddicts?

Heh, I'm sure we'll think of something ;)
Me to my girl: You're grounded until you're dead
Her: You mean 'til you're dead right?
Me: No, I'll enforce it from beyond the grave
Her: *gulp*

Jaime

Post by Jaime » February 19th, 2010, 7:59 am

You actually made me laugh out loud. No, really, I don't even want to write "LOL", because I'm sure people just write that but don't actually "LOL".

Staddicts. LOVE. IT.

My husband knows not to let me go in there alone. I actually spend my birthday gift vouchers on stationery. God knows how much money I've spent on stationery this year while printing out my MS and giving it to my beta readers in pretty folders - all different colours, of course! I wish I could buy a stack of paper and press my head against it to pour out my novel idea and let it write itself. It would be so much easier than typing it all out!

And yes. Pens. I can never find the same one twice!

You're not alone, Emma! I'm sure we'll have members for Staddicts in no time!!! :D

Merisi

Post by Merisi » February 21st, 2010, 4:24 pm

Hi everybody,

My name is Greg and my friend Lisa introduced me to this website and forum. I'm originally from Cleveland and I now live in Los Angeles. I'm seriously humbled by the experience of the folks here. Look forward to sharing and getting to know ya!

Ciao!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » February 23rd, 2010, 11:26 am

Hey there y'all!!

No, I'm not from the South. I'm actually from Tucson, Arizona (while you guys are drowning in snow it's around 70 and the sun is shining), and I really do say "y'all". And strangely enough, like Mia, I am addicted to tea and randomly quote Shakespeare. I've always wanted to be British. :) I can even manage a somewhat convincing accent, thanks to my high school drama days.

I'm one of the lucky ones, whereas I don't have a day job. That's partly my choice and partly not, due to some interesting health issues - it's a long story but if someone really wants to know I'm more than happy to share. My husband supports my writing habit and I get to stay home in my PJ's with my cats and books. It's a great life.

I wrote my first "book" at the age of six and I never really stopped. Of course, now I'm a little more serious about the craft. These days I write fantasy. I queried my first novel several years ago with no luck, rewrote it, queried again, rejected again...so now I'm going through edits on my second novel with many, many more storylines littering my office. One of these days I'll get something good enough to make to through the slush pile.

Good to meet you guys, see y'all on the forums!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » February 24th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Jaime wrote:
Yep, you heard me Justine! HEAT. WAVE. Mwa ha haaaa!

Although I may come across as evil, I'm actually not. I'm going to turn 30 this year . . . and just had a fit writing that out . . . it looks even worse in print!!! But it's the new 20's, right? RIGHT? *Deep breath*
Blah on the heat wave Jaime....I'll still jealous. Artic weather here!! Artic I say!

Ooohh....me, you and Nathan turn 30 this year! EEEEKKK!! I don't like to see it in print either. I'm terrified of turning thirty. Seriously, I have nightmares about it. I think I've developed a new phobia. When the day comes, I may just have a heart attack and die right then. I hope not, but that's how scary it is for me.

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » February 24th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Thirty was easy.

Thirty one and thirty two, however...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Nick

Post by Nick » February 24th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Personally Nick doesn't understand why peoples always freak out about different birthdays. People get older. And then they die. End topic.

aspiring_x

Post by aspiring_x » February 24th, 2010, 10:13 pm

I think it's the understanding of how much time has passed, how quickly it has passed, and how little is left. Life is way too short. There is way too much to do. Thirty comes in two years for me, and I'm staggered by the idea. But when I was younger, and time didn't pass quite so quickly, I remember thinking that living to be fifty seemed an eternity. Don't worry Nick, you'll understand the freaking out in about ten years. :)

Nick

Post by Nick » February 24th, 2010, 10:22 pm

See that's the thing. I don't think living to anything seems like an eternity. In fact I all ready think eighteen years is too damn long. So what's thirty to me? Another year, another minute of rot. Sixteen was the same, sixty shall be the same.