The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
JayceeEA

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by JayceeEA » June 8th, 2010, 9:05 am

Hello,

I'm Jaycee from Ohio, U.S. I currently own a blog called "Light-A-Lamp" where I write about the things that inspire me and are most important to me. I am preparing my first draft of a literary fiction novel and am excited about it. Hobbies are chess, scrabble, and watching thought-provoking movies.

On my blog I explain facts by telling very short stories first, you can find my blog here: http://www.lightherlamp.com

I joined the Forums because Nathan is one of my favorite literary agents and I've been following his blog for a while now.

Cheers everyone!

SM Schmidt

Post by SM Schmidt » June 9th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Hi all,

Call me Schmidtty, I'm from deceptively not sunny California. I've been reading Nathan's blog on and off (depending on school work) for a while now and had the great idea of joining the forum right before finals week. So this introduction is long over due now that I'm firmly entrenched in summer. Currently I am polishing my first MS which is a scifi young adult novel I've called 'Mirrored Oasis'.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all & trying to be less shy!

Schmidtty
Schmidtty
The Blog
Twitter

Melissa Murphy

Post by Melissa Murphy » June 9th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Hi!

I'm Melissa from Kentucky. I just found this place and am so excited! You all sound like a fun bunch!

I write romance. My first four completed works are light paranormal and I'm happy to report there is an editor interested in one of them. Keep your fingers crossed for me? I have two more works in progress, another paranormal and a contemporary. I'm looking for a crit. partner. If anyone is interested, just let me know on the crit. partner forum.

Looking forward to talking with you all. You can also chat with me on twitter: melissamurphy2

Melissa

Meredith

Post by Meredith » June 9th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Hi,

I'm Meredith Mansfield. So far, I've spent my writers' forum time over at Hatrack RIver Writers Workshop, which is geared specifically to speculative fiction. But more perspectives on this crazy adventure are always a good thing.

I write fantasy. Mostly second world, but I've also written an urban fantasy. I am currently in the throes of a major revision to my second novel and getting first readers on the second draft of my fourth. My third novel is the one I'm currently hopeful about. Meanwhile, four more novels and a couple of short stories continue to cook in my brain.
MeredithMansfield.WordPress.com

Charli Armstrong

Post by Charli Armstrong » June 9th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Hello!

I'm Charli. I'm a Performing, Literary, and Visual Artist. (Human Translation: Actor, Writer, Artist)

Marjorie

Post by Marjorie » June 9th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Hi, everybody! I am Marjorie. I was a 5th - 6th grade teacher in Manhattan for 34 years and I am now retired. I am also a stand-up comic and I perform at The Comic Strip Live here in NYC. I am outspoken and sometimes shoot myself in the foot... but, I am going to participate here in a very measured and careful manner. I want to learn and I hope we can all help each other. This is a phenomenal concept that Nathan has initiated. I say "thank-you" to him.

I have 3 blogs. One is a (humorous) memoir, another contains interviews and photos, and my newest is a cartoon blog. I am very excited about my new cartoon blog. And I was beyond delighted when Jerry, the "Marble Faun," met me and discussed over lunch the Beales of Grey Gardens.

I look forward to learning more about all of you as I continue to read the forum.

Marjorie
marjorie-cartoons.blogspot.com

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 10th, 2010, 1:04 am

Hey all!

This should be short, since I'm never too sure what to say about myself. But introductions are fun, no? So here I am.

I'm from northern Canada's french province, Quebec. Which, yes, means English is not my first language, despite my writing novels in it. I like to make things difficult for myself... yeah! Other than that, I'm a Biochemistry student by day, writer by night. I turn 21 this month, which means I still have a lot to learn about this craft, and a lot of time to learn it. And when it comes to tools of learning, this site ranks pretty high on my list!

I write almost exclusively fantasy, mostly secondworld. I have an insane love for worldbuilding, which means I'm prompt to jump from one setting to another and to try new things.

So, I'm happy to meet you all.

Cheers,

Claudie
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Mi.Ishi

Post by Mi.Ishi » June 10th, 2010, 1:36 am

Hello! I'm Mi.Ishi, but people can call me Mi.

I've been writing for seven years or more, and have recently begun editing for a couple of unpublished authors. I write in all kinds of genres, but I tend to always include a sub-genre of romance, as I think love is one of the most complicating and essential things to life. Therefore, why leave it out?

I am originally from Tokyo, where I was born to a Canadian mother and Japanese father. I currently reside on the West Coast of Canada, and am going to university. I'm doing a double major in geography and art history, and my long term goal is to become an architect!

I am a bit of a forum freak, and reside frequently at Fictionpress and LiveJournal where I have met some very wonderful amateur writing and reading enthusiasts.

AnimaDictio

Post by AnimaDictio » June 10th, 2010, 2:07 am

Hi, my name is Caleb. My interest in writing started early. I won a writing competition during the 2nd grade. I assumed, immediately, that I'd be the next Ernest Hemmingway (The only novel I knew at the time was "Old Man and the Sea.") Since then, I've worked as a writer of opinions and speeches for politicians, as an all-around techie, and as an intelligence analyst in the Army. Recently, I graduated law school so I'm entering the legal field now. I live in Maryland and I'm working on my first novel, an adventure romance for the Christian market. I just entered the first 250 words into Nathan's critique thread so I thought I'd introduce myself.

February

Post by February » June 10th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Well since I can't seem to stay away from the blog comments no matter how hard I try, I figured I'd better start doing things properly around here.

Hi, I'm February.

Like everyone else here, I'm a writer.

Difference between us and so many other people out there who write in hiding is that we're willing to own up to it.

Published authors, unpublished authors, struggling hacks (me) or highly educated folks (many of you) all here because we just can't keep the stories inside of us. I think that's a beautiful thing.

I'm happy to be here with you fine folk. I admire all of you for your optimism and tenacity as you put your first pages and rejection lists out there for the world to see- myself included and believe me I'm happy to be seeing anything about now but especially the spunk of artists who are willing to risk crashing and burning for their dream of telling those stories to the world.

It's a sight to behold, and after five surgeries to restore partial use of my sight last year- I take nothing that my eyes can do, reading, writing, or taking in a smiling face, for granted.

If you could see me right now, you'd see me smiling because so many of you just put your hearts right out there. Contests, query angst, all of it. Six months ago I'd never have believed it could be so terrifying, but it is. Having gone blind before, I think that's really saying something about how intimidating it is to take what you love and put it under that microscope. Good on you all.

Thank you for your bravery. I hope to show you that I appreciate it by sticking my neck out, too.

Take courage.

I've taken it, now I'm just trying to figure out how to hold onto it.

~bru

Jesk84

Post by Jesk84 » June 11th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Hi, I'm Erin from Tennessee. Yes, I'm a country girl, I say ya'll, ain't, and fixin to. So sometimes it's hard to write without my southern leaking through. I like to think of myself as a very passionate person when it comes to my beliefs, the things I enjoy and the ones a I love. I'm also a very strong-willed and stubborn person with a touch of OCD. I'm fiercly loyal to my family and friends, but when they lose that trust they never get it back. I'm just like my mother and when accused of it I say 'thank you, what a nice compliment.' I'm a wife to a very funny, loving, caring, frustrating, idiotic, hopeless, man (come on married ladies, you know what you want to call them stupid too) and mother to wonderful little 2 year old boy who has not figured out that his butt is for sitting!

I used to be so self-concious when others read what I've written, but not so anymore. I enjoy seeing the comments on my work. My imgination is running 90 miles an hour 24/7 with all these crazy ideas that it's a wonder I'm still grounded in reality. I mainly write in the sci-fi genre, but I'm currently trying my hand at a romance called A Southern Summer, what I have so far is posted on my webook.

I haven't got to do as much writing as I would like because of my very active little boy who won't let me sit down to the computer while he's awake and this past year I took two semsters at University of Memphis majoring in Music Education, so I kind of went a little crazy last year with everything I had piled ontop of myself!

I have an addiction to good reading. Some of my favorites are anything by Ken Follet, the Harry Potters, the Redwall Series, the Bourne Trilogy, the Narnia books. But my aboslute favortie book of all time is True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. But Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follet are a very close second. And ya'll, I tried so hard, I really tried my very best not to get caught up in the Twilight saga cause I'm tired of the romantic, sappy vampire stories (I'm ready to see the vampire return to the souless, bloodsucking monster it's supposed to be) but it still got me. I read the books, and even though their not my favorite and I don't see what all the hoopla is over them, they weren't half bad.
I aim to misbehave

childrenschamp4life

New Member Intro

Post by childrenschamp4life » June 11th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Hi , My name is Stan I am new here, and if you want to know something about me, its that I named my son Espn. (s-spin)Guess we know my first love . I also will be submitting childrens stories three at a time to Mr. Bransford, so I can continue building my wall of shame (rejection letters)I grew up in a small city about 15 minutes from S.F called Richmond. Not the greatest place on earth if your looking for a description.

First, Its World cup time

Messi, Rooney and Ronaldo best players in da world

Netherlands seems like a dark horse

Today I was impressed with: Mexico's aggressiveness, Uruguay's defensive prowess, South Africa's speed & the inept-ness of France.

theoretically it should be an easy win for england, of course espn is hyping it up.

I have written childrens stories for a couple years now, and not once have I thought about self publishing and e books. I have also begun to have the testicular fortitude to submit some of my creations out.This discussion board is one of the better writing tools out there. (Thanks Nathan)
Childrens Champ
http://childrenschamp.blogspot.com/

"Rigor alone is paralytic death, but imagination alone is insanity,"- Gregory Bateson /Future California Governor Jerry Brown

Anobile1

Post by Anobile1 » June 12th, 2010, 5:54 am

I've been around a couple of days and I haven't gotten around to posting here yet. Well, fixing that now!

Hello, I'm Amorena (and I don't expect anyone to remember that), I live in Oregon, I'm 18, and still wondering where 17 went.

My reading interests are pretty much anything well-written with intelligent, good-guy dragons. That obviously means I mainly read fantasy, but I've found a few wonderful non-fantasy books with dragons too. One is YA sci-fi and the other is historical fantasy (both in my favorites). My dad is also pestering me to read more sci-fi (his preferred genre) so I'll be branching out to non-dragon books soon, hopefully. My favorite books at the moment all happen to be series: The DRAGONBACK series by Timothy Zahn, the TEMERAIRE series by Naomi Novik, and THE LAST DRAGON CHRONICLES by Chris d'Lacey.

I'll refrain from writing giant paragraphs about how awesome they all are... but I can't help but say something about the last series in that list. Technically, it's a middle-grade series, but it has wonderful writing, plot, everything, and is very enjoyable for any age (my mom, who is nearly 50, loved them). It mixes squirrels, dragons, shape-less entities from some distant dimension in space, polar bears, Inuit Native Americans, unicorns, gargoyles, and pretty much anything else you can think of. It's got the most complicated (yet understandable!) and creative plot/premise I've ever seen. The first book is mostly about saving a squirrel, and while good, is mostly for younger audiences, but the rest it utterly amazing.

Ahem. Ok, I'm done. This is supposed to be introducing me, not Chris d'Lacey and his (totally awesome!) series.

I'm usually a strictly fantasy (magic, big fancy magic world, swords, dragons, elves, etc.) writer, though I've lately been writing a philosophical soft science fiction/urban fantasy novel, so I might just call myself a dragon writer. I love picking obscure but real-world names for my characters. Even though I love writing, I find it hard to write unless I'm writing a novel that I'm totally in love with. I find it utterly impossible to write short stories, mainly because the idea of spending only a dozen pages on a character or story is ridiculous to me. (Consequently, I also dislike reading any short stories, unless they're a VERY well written fan-fiction.)

I'm developing a fantasy, slightly sci-fi world that someday will have a depth to it comparable to Tolkien's world. Hopefully. I need to learn some linguistics first. And pretty much everything else.

My other hobby is video editing (AMV editing, specifically, for anyone who knows what that is), and I also have a (often overpowering) love of physics. I love solving equations, but geometry is somewhat irritating to me.

Anyway, hello again, and hello to all the other new members above/before and below/after this post.
My Blog: http://amorenanobile.blogspot.com/ (Most recent post: Inspiration Patterns and an Old Friend)

caradupont

Post by caradupont » June 13th, 2010, 9:16 am

Hi, I'm Cara. I reside in Texas but live in my words. I am working on my first novel after many stops and starts over the years and wandering aimlessly through genres dragging characters along for the ride. Fortunately, most of my characters were of the flat, emotionally void cardboard variety which happens when you self censor every other word.

Whether I intended to or not, after the guidance of some amazing instructors in my writing program, I stopped trying to tell the story and began showing it. Then, I stopped trying to avoid writing lovely stories about generally happy people, and I started writing the stories that I like to read. Finally, I wrote a 1,000 word short for a writing contest, and I made it to the first round of finalists out of 500 contestants.

From there, I wrote a second story 3,000 words that I submitted to a contest, and the characters have taken over my mind, psyche and ability to sleep so I think I finally have something to work into a novel. No word on the contest yet, but it doesn't matter--I am ripping apart that story as we speak, throwing the characters up in the air and watching them fall in places unexpected. The writing in this novel is so raw and true that I am afraid that people won't read it and even more afraid that they will.

I have a blog--and it is often written under the influence of alcohol/sleep deprivation/writers high--ie not always edited as tightly as Mr. Bransford. It is more for personal than professional use at this point. www.tarnishedtiara2009.wordpress.com

I look forward to being part of the forums.

Cara

cussedness

Post by cussedness » June 13th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Hello, I'm Janrae.

My first published story was in Amazons, edited by Jessica Amanda Salmonson (DAW 1979). In the mid-80s, I moved over to journalism and non-fiction freelancing during the first stages of what gradually turned into a fifteen year writer's block (yes, they are real). The highlight of that period was getting my MPAA journalist accreditation and doing two guest pieces for the Washington Post. I finished a single short story in the 90s ('Visiting the Neighbors' in I,Vampire edited by Jean Stine and Forest Ackerman, Longmeadow 1993).