The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Jessica Peter

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Jessica Peter » May 21st, 2010, 12:45 am

Hi everyone. Because I adore Nathan's blog, I've decided to join in here too. I'm Jessica and I'm from Canada (near Toronto). Though I've written for my whole life, I've gotten serious about it in the last 2 years or so. I'm putting the final edits on my YA urban fantasy novel HUNT, which is based on European folklore, It's about a teenaged girl who sees something she shouldn't be able to which brings the attention of the Wild Hunt - and its hot leader - down on her. (How's that for a one-line summary?) This year, I've also started to write travel articles about my travel experiences, and have had 2 published online so far since January - not for big bucks, but it was totally thrilling to have someone actually pay me for my writing.

Current writing plans:
- two short stories (or perhaps novellas?) that I've started but I'm not allowing myself to write until HUNT is out for queries: a post-apocalyptic steampunk romance based on the myth of Cupid and Psyche, and a dark urban fantasy based on Germanic folklore set in Salzburg, Austria
- more travel stories, and more edits and queries for partial articles sitting on my hard drive
- a follow up novel to HUNT
http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/JessicaPeter1
Currently querying HUNT, YA Urban Fantasy & writing a post-apocalyptic romance

WilliamMJones

Post by WilliamMJones » May 21st, 2010, 10:14 pm

Hi. I've been following the Blog for a while now, and decided to join the forums. I'm a college student and have just finished the first draft of my first novel.

epcaldwell

Post by epcaldwell » May 22nd, 2010, 4:57 pm

Hello.I live in Anchorage, Alaska and I write romance suspense. No, I am not published.My skin isn't thick enough yet to query my two finished novels to an agent. Are they any good you may ask? Of course I think they are. Or I did until I entered my first contest and the judges hated my submission. Comments were ...No voice,unlikeable abusive hero and heroine,too many grammatical errors,had to force themselves to keep reading,you get the picture.That was just the first five pages. I am still writing and don't intend to stop or give up. To become a better writer,one must write. Well ,talent helps too.So this is me and that's a small part of my story.

RichardLevangie

Post by RichardLevangie » May 23rd, 2010, 9:36 am

Imagine waking from a deep and troubling sleep after 15 years to find that everything you once had is gone, but that you’ve been given a rare gift that might help you recapture a few lost years.

That’s the journey I’m taking now with my partner. We married under ominous circumstances, during my twelfth year of daily migraines, when I had lost hope that I would survive. I was unable to work, let alone write. I had no prospects, no plans for the future. Not to be maudlin, but I expected to live out the rest of my short life in quiet desperation.

But I found a neurologist who knew the cause of my affliction, and when the migraines slowly stopped twisting every waking hour, I found something in my possession that I did not expect: two, fully-formed ideas for novels. The challenge, of course, is actually writing them. With debts piled high, creative writing seems like a luxury we cannot afford.

And yet, I have been unable to shake the feeling that this is where I am supposed to be. That this is my time to prove myself.

I call myself a freelance writer. I graduated from the University of King's College in 1990 with a journalism degree, a Governor-General’s Medal, and job writing arts features at a local newspaper. I have a thousand bylines, and a national writing award. That, and a loonie, will get you a cup of coffee in 2010.

And so I’m pushing to finish the first of my two novels — a mystery for middle readers. I’m about six weeks from a polished first draft (which, I know, is a contradiction in terms, but I’m editing as I write).

I’m frightened and excited, like the characters in a cracking good yarn from Boy's Own Paper. And that’s just as it ought to be.

I'm happy to be joining this community.
It is with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.
http://richardlevangie.com/

Daryl_Blonder

Post by Daryl_Blonder » May 23rd, 2010, 9:13 pm

Hi all... this is my very first post on this forum.

My name is Daryl, I'm from Connecticut, and I'm looking to publish a memoir I wrote on my life with high-functioning autism.

julieack

Post by julieack » May 24th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Hi all,

My name is Julie. I found Nathan's blog through an acquaintance who he represents and have found the advice amazingly helpful/calming.

I'm almost finished editing my first novel, tentatively called My Year in Mexico, and am working on drafting a query and coming up with a list of agents to target. I just ventured into the forums today, and liked what I saw, so here I am, a member.

I live in the Philly suburbs with my husband and sweet little black pug, Nalu. I'm teaching my first writing workshop this week and also working on publishing some articles. My blog is http://www.anythingformaterial.blogspot.com.

Looking forward to reading and posting more soon!

Heather B

Post by Heather B » May 25th, 2010, 1:20 am

Hey guys,

My name's Heather and I'm from the great land of Aus. I've had Nathan's blog bookmarked for a while now but I've only just decided to become a member of these forums.

Currently I am polishing my MS called 'A life in Death'. Although this isn't the first one I have written it is the first I feel confident would stand a chance at being sold.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Heather :D
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

tanyab

Post by tanyab » May 25th, 2010, 11:13 am

Hello, everyone. My name's Tanya and I'm a long-time listener but a first-time caller. I'm from London and I'm your typical London Girl... I've heard it all but I'm still listening.

I've been writing short stories since I was fourteen, but I wasn't brave enough to share them with anyone until the end of last year when I did a creative writing class. Since then, I've had two short stories published and last month I started writing a novel. I'm currently 44,625 words in and while it certainly hasn't been easy, for the first time in 33 years, I feel like I'm actually doing something. I can't really describe it, it's a bit like remembering the lyrics to a song I haven't heard for years; something about it just feels right. And it's kind of liberating, realising what I want to do with my life; 33 years is a long time to wait to find that out. And while part of me wishes that I'd worked that out twenty years ago, like some of you, I've learned a lot in those twenty years so perhaps that's just what I needed to do.

So here I am - fashionably late, I'd like to think - and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and cheering you on!

heyimkt

Post by heyimkt » May 26th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Hi! My name's KT and I've been following this blog for awhile, but just found this forum! Can't wait to learn even more and possibly get some feedback/a critique partner!
I've written a few novels, but have recently been focused on a few specifically. My current WIP is at 32400 words and I think it's going pretty strong. I hope to possibly start querying sometime this summer? But hey, that's only a dream :) Maybe with some help from this forum it could happen.
Can't wait to see!

Casey Lybrand

Post by Casey Lybrand » May 26th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Hi everyone!

I've followed Nathan's blog for some time now, and I thought I'd give the forums a try!

My WIP is a science fantasy novel, and I have a sci-fi outlined to work on next. I was all ready to go with the sci-fi when the idea for the science fantasy WIP took hold and would not let go. So I started writing it, and I think I will finish the first draft by the end of the summer.

I keep thinking of the other novel-to-be while I'm working on my current WIP -- feeling torn between writing the two novels. But I like the idea that when I am querying the current work (which won't be soon -- it isn't finished yet, much less edited), I have another one outlined and ready to write while I'm going through the whole querying process.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here, and maybe connecting with a critique partner at some point!

deepsesh

Post by deepsesh » May 27th, 2010, 6:40 am

Heya!!

I'm new ... obviously =) Hope everyone's doing fine!

I'm from India, 23 years old. I used to love writing as a kid... and i seem to have given up on a lot of things last few years... writing included. I'm more than glad that my passion is back now!!! yay! :) So yeah... i've written a book... which in the editing stage now. This is my first attempt at a book. I genrally write a lot of songs/lyrics.

Hope to make interesting friends and exchange ideas here =)

ToddB

Post by ToddB » May 30th, 2010, 7:02 pm

I'm from South Florida, attempting to write thrillers and suspense in both adult and YA. I found Nathan's blog through a friend and Nathan also sent me my first rejection letter (deserved, the book was weak then).

EMC

Post by EMC » June 2nd, 2010, 10:38 am

Hi Everyone,

I am Edel, from Dublin, Ireland. A relatively recent writing convert - in the last year, but have been wanting to write for YEARS and YEARS! I am half way through Novel 1 and took a break from that as I have no idea what it's doing and into Novel 2, which seems to be following a similar path. :(
However, I was accepted into a Masters in Creative Writing in Trinity College, Dublin, starting in Sept, so fingers crossed that will sort me out! I'm hoping to be finished at least draft one of both novels before the course starts, so cross your fingers for me!
Really looking forward to chatting with writers - particularly over writers block and WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?!

E.

Gina Frost

Post by Gina Frost » June 4th, 2010, 2:34 pm

My name is Gina Frost. I am an almost 40 year old unpublished writer. It was my desire to change that to a published writer that brought me to Nathan's blog, which I have followed religiously for a few months now. Only recently, as in this week, have I actually joined his site and contributed to one of his contests. If nothing else, then I can say that perhaps someone is reading what I am writing now. Whether it be here, my blog or my facebook site, someone besides family is reading the stuff I write. Finally. The few feedbacks that I have received have been positive so far. That is what encourages me to continue and has helped me to near completion of my first novel, in six months time, after going through countless rewrites.
I am very happy to have found this site, this forum, which seems to be so much friendlier and more productive than any writers forum I have found so far.

Gina Frost

http://gmfrost.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/gina.frost

Margo

Post by Margo » June 4th, 2010, 3:26 pm

EMC wrote:However, I was accepted into a Masters in Creative Writing in Trinity College, Dublin, starting in Sept, so fingers crossed that will sort me out!
Wow, I'm jealous and impressed. Good work!
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/