The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Sommer Leigh

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Sommer Leigh » February 28th, 2011, 8:45 am

Amy B wrote:Hi! I just joined after following Nathan's blog for a long time. I figured I was probably missing out some great discussions, so I went ahead and registered and am looking foward to checking things out! :)
Welcome Amy B! We have lots of great discussions, and some silly ones too. You'll love it!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

TheZies

Post by TheZies » March 8th, 2011, 12:21 pm

I'm late to the party. I know.

but I brought cake. there isn't much left though. I got hungry.
follow me on the twitters!
http://www.twitter.com/thezies
I also have the blogs:
http://www.idiocracyrising.com

vasilisa

Post by vasilisa » March 18th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Just checking in to say "hello!"

I'm a historical YA & mystery writer from Alaska. I'm unpublished but am currently working on my first novel. The distractions are many (namely, Ravelry and all its boards--lol--I think I spend more time on them than I actually spend knitting!), the payoffs are few (esp when a small child tries to rip all the keys off one's laptop). But I still enjoy it. I guess that's all one can reasonably hope for, eh? Ok, besides getting published and all that. I'll get back to you on that one! :D

kveenly

Post by kveenly » March 20th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Hi everyone! I have been reading Nathan's blog for years now, but have been more of a lurker. I am a writer and an editor, and inspired by Nathan, I recently started to post about my experiences on my blog. I am working on a book of poems and a novel of literary fiction (yup, I expect neither fame nor money). I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Thanks,

MJ

http://mahakjain.blogspot.com.

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » April 5th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been following Nathan's blog for well over a year, though I'm not much of a comment-addict, and funny enough I've signed up to this forum before. Alas, I can't remember my username or password, and I don't have Outlook installed so I can't contact the Board Administrator either. So this time I'm being a 'clever' girl and posting to introduce myself so, in the event that I once again forget my details, I can 'find' myself.

Also I've been wanting to become an active member here for ages but just never got around to it!

So, hi! I'm in my mid-twenties, have been writing for the past 15 years, ranging genres from young adult angst stories to romance, to horror, to adult-ish paranormal romance - my genres have grown with me through the years. Good thing, too, since I sucked at angst/drama writing. I don't know if I'm an aspiring author, though. I love to write, it's what I do best, but to become a published author is more of a goal that my family and friends have set for me, rather than my own. According to them, I'm publish material and should get my work in print. Personally, I feel my writing is still very immature and I have a long way to go to meet publishing standards. There's always room for improvement and growth, and I haven't banged my head against the 'this is as good as it gets' bar yet.

So while I'm working on my novels on the sidelines, I'm a fanfictioner-addict when the muse strikes. Or another fanfic competition comes up. It's nice to break away from your 'work' every now and then and just have a little bit of fun writing.

Anyway, I'm rambling. See you around the forum!
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

sonyablue

Post by sonyablue » April 8th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Hello all! I've been reading the blog a while but thought maybe I should join the forum too, participate in some critiques and maybe eventually get some on mine too.

I write for my day job, but I am working on memoirs right now with my husband (his memoirs). I've been after him for years to write a book about his life and career (which are IMO absolutely fascinating) and we finally started the project a couple months ago.

So...hi everyone.

alnolace

Post by alnolace » April 9th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Hello all!

My name is Allen I am a new writer from Michigan. I just finished my first short story last night and have half of a novel complete. I thought it would be a good idea to start writing when I had plenty of free time. So, I waited until I had a child, a new job, and another child on the way. Never the less, I have been making it a point to recording ideas for projects on my handy iPhone and am ready to dig in. Looking forward to it!

Greeting to you all,

Allen

chvyg80

Post by chvyg80 » April 16th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Hello all!
My name is Chavone, and I am an aspiring writer from Missouri.
I've been following the Nathan's blog, as well as the forum for about six months now and finally got up the courage to create an account and start posting. It seems that this sight has more of a diverse set of people than other sights and forums I've visited in the past, and I hope that I can become a part of your "writing comunity".

A little about me; I finished writing my first MS about a year ago, and I did it by hand (big mistake). It took me six months to get it typed onto the computer, and I did my first revise at that point. I've revised it at least 10 times (I've lost count) since and I've recently gotten to the point that I want to let it be. I look forward to the interactions I know that I'll soon have with all of you all.
Last edited by chvyg80 on April 25th, 2011, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chavone
"The pains and struggles of my past are what has made me the beautiful person I am today"

Nigel Haberdash

Post by Nigel Haberdash » April 19th, 2011, 10:54 am

Hi. My name is Chris. I've read Nathan's blog like at least three times. I like puppies, fun dip, and going to the circus.

pattysherry

Post by pattysherry » April 19th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Hello All

My name is Patty Sherry, and I am new here. Just want to introduce myself to the forums. I actually saw a link here from Twitter which caught my attention. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and to sharing.

Margo

Post by Margo » April 19th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Oh dear. No one has welcomed the new arrivals in awhile. As always, refreshments in the foyer, including the cake TheZies so thoughtfully brought and the fun dip supplied by Chris. We love it when new arrivals bring noms. Chris's puppy made an oopsie by the punch bowl - watch out for that. The Cotillion begins promptly at 7ish. 18th century attire required. We have extra in case you didn't bring yours. I strongly advise you bring your costume trunks along for your stay. We do theme parties, especially when Nathan is away and his office is vulnerable. I mean available.

Welcome. bwhahaha.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

brycedaniels

Post by brycedaniels » April 19th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Well, I won't have any problem with the 18th century attire. Hello, I am Bryce, and I am an oldie in earth time and a neophyte in blogosphere time.

Please have patience with me. I am still smarting from A) being the butt of family jokes for asking what a "Wii" was a few yrs. ago, and B) being informed that a "laptop" is NOT a device used by small children around the Christmas season, usually in conjunction with big guys in red suits.

Looking forward to joining a few discussions. Always nice to find kindred souls out there.

Krisula

Post by Krisula » April 20th, 2011, 3:22 am

Hi everyone,

I'm Krisula and I live in sunny Southern California with a very patient and steadily employed husband, three children who despite my best efforts refuse to stop growing, and more pets than can actually fit in my bed (though they try each night).

I've written a YA paranormal novel that is sitting in that modern version of a desk drawer, self publication. If you would like to take a look it's at https://www.createspace.com/3386535 I'm currently having some fun playing around with e-formats in an attempt to procrastinate the actual writing of a second novel.

Oh, and I love Nathan. I've been reading his blog for a while. (three years maybe?)

Babs in Paradise

Post by Babs in Paradise » April 20th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Hey Everybody:

I have been enjoying Nathan's Blog for awhile now but this is my first dip into the "forums". I generally introduce myself by saying: Call me Peepers, because I like to go into everything with my eyes wide open. That's why it takes me forever and a day to make up my mind to do something, especially something new. But, once my mind is made up and I embark on that new adventure, watch out, because I am a steamroller and you can either hop on board, get out of my way, or be part of the pavement. I am a word junkie. I read anything and everything, from the back of the cereal box to the junk mail fliers, from the classics to the latest junk novellas. I love to read. Likewise with writing. I make lists, write notes to people, some of which I actually send and have more than one story rattling around my brain, so of course, I have a WIP, which is my latest adventure. I am a perpetual student, usually taking writing classes. About a year ago I moved to an island in the Caribbean, so generally speaking, I am having the time of my life.

ClaudeNougat

Post by ClaudeNougat » April 20th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Hi, Craig! Good idea! And hi to everybody else here too!

I'm a writer, a painter, a blogger and a Tweeter, plus I love to cook (wish I could eat more but I have to watch the damn figure!)

What else? I live in Italy - great place!

I've published books here in Italian (serious stuff about development issues and a lot of less serious stuff, like children's stories and love stories for adults...) Now I'm trying to get started in the English-speaking world... Check out my blog if you have a minute : http://claudenougat.blogspot.com I talk a lot about publishing in there, but also about Italy, Europe, the political mess we are all (alas!) into...I welcome comments including and especially from people who disagree with me!