The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
EJ_Kingsley

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by EJ_Kingsley » May 4th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Hi i'm Erica Jo, been writing for 5 years on my YA WIP. My favourite books are the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan and I love love The Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr.

prowriter6970

Post by prowriter6970 » May 15th, 2017, 2:05 pm

Greetings, Greetings fellow writing confrere's...My name is Robin and I am gradually returning back to writing in which I love and do everyday. Whether it is through letter or on pieces of paper. My son has moved out and on and now I am cracking my knuckles and getting back to a schedule of writing and reading to help pursue my writing endeavor. I seek guidance and constructive criticism's which will help ameliorate my craft and help me ineluctably become a published author on the NYT List..I say Dream Big or don't Dream at ALL!!!!! I look forward too, EVERYTHING!!!

Lorie

Post by Lorie » June 3rd, 2017, 2:08 pm

Hi everyone,
I came on board to post a page for critique but then thought perhaps, instead of diving in, I should get to know everyone first.

I have 2 books in the pipeline: one is the very difficult fantasy I have pursued for the past 4 years through myriad life changes - in 2014 I launched a major re-write of it (turned the book on its head, actually) and am about 3/4 of the way through. It is the hardest thing I have ever done and if it ever sees the light of day, I will be tickled to no end.

The second is a young adult novel, finished several years ago, pitched, rejected, and awaiting a small rewrite, after which I might try self-publishing it.

I wish all the writers here the best of luck, want to say thanks to Nathan for creating a forum for us, and look forward to interacting.
:P

hauntedsouls

Post by hauntedsouls » June 28th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Hello:

I'm haunted souls and I'm from Toronto, Canada. I earn my living as a writer and instructional designer. I've been blessed to publish a few short stories, some poetry, and one MG novel in magical realism - The Bridge of Haunted Souls. I just completed my first literary novel entitled Prairie's Edge. Look forward to meeting people here.

basicbob101

Post by basicbob101 » October 19th, 2017, 1:56 pm

hello all, not sure I have the correct link for a new post, but my name is Bob. since I was once in the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam, I incorporated that number (101) with "Bob" and since I am not intellectually sharp as some added "basic" to come up with basicbob101 as my handly, kinda like an introductory college course label.

any way I am about 60 miles SW of Houston (poor Astros, very bad games the last 3!). have a few basic literary style questions to ask, what would be the proper thread? thanxz to all. :D

Dabiggoof

Post by Dabiggoof » December 7th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Howdy do all. My name is Shane Lassetter and I am a new author. I have self-published a geeks vs zombies book. The series is called OUTLAST and the first book is Geeks Will Gather. This one only emcompasses the first six days of a more realistic apocalypse and it is currently set in south Texas; Lake Jackson and Corpus Christi. My version involves a virus that cooks the brain within an hour and a half. These 'zombies' are still human without humanity. Set back to base animal instincts of eating, drinking, sleeping, killing, and sex. To 99% of them you are a threat or food. I am currently trying to hit every book store that will have me in my extended area and attending comic cons.
My second book, Veterans Affairs, is currently done and edited, awaiting my cover art. It is about a moral assassin, John Parks, that writes travel books. Too many people on this earth deserve to die and he does what our in-justice system doesn't. He has friends that help and even takes on an occasional government job. The one thing he always does is vet the contract though. This sometimes leads to his helping instead of killing. Something some officials don't like. Ah! The life of someone with a sense of morality.
I am 31,000 words into my second zombie book with two others around the 2,000 mark that I periodically go to. I need help with social media and advertising if anyone has suggestions. I am currently trying to find a 16yr old girl to help me but it's hard to do without looking like a pervert.

msluce

Post by msluce » February 3rd, 2018, 8:32 pm

Hello. I'm Mary. In my past life I was an attorney. Now I stay home full time with my disabled son and write. I wrote a science fiction story in my head over five years while my son was at doctor appointments, therapy sessions, etc. I finally decided I should just write it down. Now I'm in the process of editing and revising my manuscript. I hope to learn and meet other authors. Thanks!

cthood

Post by cthood » February 26th, 2018, 7:52 am

Hi everyone, I'm Chris. I'm a new writer, and have just completed my manuscript. I've begun the process of figuring out what to do next, and came across this great site. I thought I would register, get to know a few people, and ask my questions.

I live in southern California and own my own business helping fortune 100 companies build better digital experiences. During my free time, I write, watch tons of movies, play video games, bake cupcakes, and spend time with friends. This though was my first manuscript and needless to say, this entire process has been both rewarding and eye opening. It's been an amazing journey.

Thanks for the resource, and I look forward to chatting with some of you!
Chris

DeScribe

Post by DeScribe » March 13th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Sharon, and about a month away from completing the final revision of my first novel. I lived in AZ for the last 13 years, and am relocating to Southern Calif., in April, somewhere around Long Beach. Originally from upstate NY, but that was several decades and states ago. Have been writing non-fiction for many years, and this fiction venture has been quite a learning curve. Just starting to query agents - not a venture for the faint-hearted. :)

Happy to meet you all, and look forward to talking with you.

mysterywriter82

Post by mysterywriter82 » May 8th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Hi I'm Brian and I am working on my first mystery novel. This is my first time on the forum so any tips and suggestions would be great. I live in Bradenton, Florida and currently have two novels indie published but am looking to make a splash in the traditional publishing pool.

Axolotl

Post by Axolotl » August 18th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Hello Craig! Thanks for starting the thread. :)

I'm a fellow newbie and have just stumbled across this forum and Nathan's blog a few days ago. Good luck with finishing your novel! The hopeful dystopian novel you're writing seems fascinating. (I want to read it now to see how you made a typically sorrowful genre have humorous elements.)

For my first book I decided to write a high fantasy set in an alternate universe from multiple POV's because that's totally what beginners should do :P

Ah yes, the novice skier should try the 50 metre jump! At 100mph! What could go wrong?

It's about mermaids (who are called Mers because writing things like, "The mermaid hissed, his chipped fangs bared." comes across as incongruous.) And they have talons, fangs, and venom glands because... because I said so that's why.

Me in one sentence: A writer who likes plants and writing. There, personal stuff done, now it is time to read every single post on this blog and fall down multiple internet rabbit-holes. Wish me luck!

Marina Costa

Post by Marina Costa » September 22nd, 2019, 1:32 pm

Hello! I am Marina Costa, 51, retired economist and writer. Published 8 books up to now, in Romanian, as I live in Bucharest, Romania. Mostly historical fiction/ adventure and YA. I am reading Nathan's blog for a while, but until he said so, I had no idea there were forums too. So... here I am.

Princesisto

Post by Princesisto » September 25th, 2019, 11:30 pm

No one is welcoming us, so let's welcome each other!

Bine ai venit, Marina!

CarloBos

Post by CarloBos » September 27th, 2019, 10:40 am

Hello writers! A quick intro about me. I've been receiving Nathan's newsletter for over a year and never posted. I have written 4 mystery novels and 2 are audiobooks. I'm working on my 5th novel and still struggle as if the first. I'm hoping to get feedback from others here on my new book or marketing. I'm happy to reciprocate so let me know if anyone is looking for a writing buddy.

And I second Marina's suggestion. Welcome all.
Cheers
Charles

nlshippen

Post by nlshippen » October 27th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Hello Everyone, I'm Naomi and I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I have recently completed my contemporary literary fiction novel and I am looking for feedback and to meet other writers. Looking forward to being a part of this community. Cheers, Naomi.