The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Princesisto

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Princesisto » November 3rd, 2019, 12:46 am

Welcome and g'day, Naomi, from the next best thing to an Aussie - a Kiwi! I am always looking for good Beta Readers for my many short stories and soon my novel manuscript. Give us a PM if you want to exchange anything.

lynellebarrett

Post by lynellebarrett » March 9th, 2020, 3:23 am

Hi, everyone! I write paranormal historical fiction with strong romantic undercurrents (quite the mouthful!), and am currently working on a Victorian murder mystery. My favorite era is the American Revolution, but thus far, I only have one book in that setting -- I'm presently seeking an agent for it! Side note: I've been querying different books for 10 years, so I'm definitely ready to get more serious about it. I'm so glad I found this forum! :)

tomdellaringa

Post by tomdellaringa » March 9th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Good Afternoon!

I've been hesitant to join an online writer's forum, but things look pretty solid here. I'm going to give it a go. My name is Tom Dell'Aringa. I'm a science fiction writer from the Chicago area.

I've been self-publishing graphic novels since 2008, and successfully ran two Kickstarter campaigns to fund print runs (I've published 6 stories of various lengths in total). I've been writing prose for years and decided to put away the digital pen. My first project was a Christmas short story to raise funds for the hungry during the holidays titled Punch and Candy at Christmas.

I finished my first novel late 2019 and queried. I am currently working with an agent on my submission with an eye toward representation. Waiting on round two of feedback. It's a sci-fi novel tentatively titled Blanchland Blues.

I also just completed an 11k-word sci-fi short story titled Stinger. I'm in the process of organizing Beta Readers for feedback.

Happy to be here. My website is at http://www.tomdellaringa.com/

EMWolff

Post by EMWolff » April 1st, 2020, 7:34 pm

Hi, all.

I’m overcoming my lurker tendencies (recovering journalist) in order to improve my first manuscript, a political thriller set in a mid-size American city. Or is it a crime novel with politics on top? Among the issues to be resolved.

I covered politics, crime and culture as a writer and editor for the alt-weekly in San Antonio, Texas (I’ve also launched a couple of publications). I’m a detailed editor who’s sensitive to voice, so consider me for your beta. I’m currently sheltering in place in my new home in central CO.

francocook1

Post by francocook1 » April 10th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Andrea Franco-Cook. I reside in West Virginia, but I'm preparing for a big move to Wyoming. I'm originally from the Bay area, so it will be nice to be on the Western half of the U.S., again. In the writing world, I've self-published an adult fantasy. I also recently completed a young adult portal fantasy, set in an alternate version of ancient Carthage. I hope to receive some helpful feedback on my YA story here, while also learning something along the way as I critique other works on this site. Looking forward to engaging with like-minded authors.

mmadj

Post by mmadj » May 14th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Hi,

I'm not Canadian, but I'm a fan. My name is Maude and I am a writer currently based in Austin. This is my first time on the site – I'm a memoirist with an almost finished first draft manuscript that I'm looking to get ripped by serious critics.

No joke about the ripping. I have a couple of beta readers who've been nice enough to take a look at what I've been doing. But they haven't been able to give me tough-minded critiques on looking for (and that I can happily give in return – I have been a reviewer for Kirkus for the last 10 years). I've also published creative nonfiction and poetry in a number of literary journals.

I hope to get to know people here and hope that everyone crosses these pages has been staying safe and sane.

Peace!

mmadj

Post by mmadj » May 14th, 2020, 6:18 pm

EMWolff wrote: April 1st, 2020, 7:34 pm Hi, all.

I’m overcoming my lurker tendencies (recovering journalist) in order to improve my first manuscript, a political thriller set in a mid-size American city. Or is it a crime novel with politics on top? Among the issues to be resolved.

I covered politics, crime and culture as a writer and editor for the alt-weekly in San Antonio, Texas (I’ve also launched a couple of publications). I’m a detailed editor who’s sensitive to voice, so consider me for your beta. I’m currently sheltering in place in my new home in central CO.
Hi!

I am new to Nathan's site as well and just saw your post. I live in Texas – Austin to be exact. I was drawn to what you said not only because you mention San Antonio, but also because I'm looking for good beta readers/critique partners for a family memoir that I am currently in the process of finishing up. It's a first draft and I do have an agent who has expressed interest in looking more closely at the work when it is complete. I'm seeking a good exchange partner who will be fair and tough-minded – the agent in question is a very good one and I want to present her with the best I can do.

If you're interested, please contact me at mmadjarian@gmail.com. My name is Maude and my website is: austinwritinglife.net.

All best.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » June 10th, 2020, 8:31 am

Yes indeed! Mostly writers posting pages or queries for critiques at the moment. Nathan's blog is well worth checking out too.

JenneTanner

Post by JenneTanner » July 13th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Hello,

I justsigned up a week or so ago. Wasn't sure if this forum was still active though. I'm not yet ready to query, but my first book is complete, yet not finished. it is still in edit mode! Revising and rewriting really. I look forward to reading what's going on in here and hopefully meeting a few of you. Is there an are where we can find critique partners or beta readers here?

Thanks for letting me in!

bodyboardJul

Post by bodyboardJul » July 15th, 2020, 9:43 pm

Hi writers,
My name is Julia. I joined last week and am trying to figure out how to intereact with others on this site.

I've drafted a YA novel that is part coming-of-age/mystery/romance/science fiction (more science than fiction). In the past, I've only published non-fiction books in my professional area (social science) and journal articles.

Now I wish to better understand the world of fiction publishing and find others for mutual reading/critiquing of novel sections.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to hear back from someone!

Thank you,
Julia

JohnPedro

Post by JohnPedro » October 19th, 2020, 5:35 am

been lurking around for a while, finally decided to join this awesome community.

CharacterAssassin

Post by CharacterAssassin » December 10th, 2020, 10:14 pm

My forum user name probably says it all: I assassinate characters via thriller genre.
I'm here to learn and contribute where I can.

karinda

Post by karinda » May 4th, 2021, 8:20 am

Hello. I've just joined from the UK. I'm just finding my way round the forum. I'm a self publisher and have written several books.

K.Allwood

Post by K.Allwood » June 21st, 2021, 7:18 am

Hello,

Just joined from Denmark.

I have been writing for several years and started in the OWW, back when it belonged to Del Rey. The workshop both taught me to write and gave me some amazing critique partners and friendships which has spanned two decades.

I'm branching into romance and have come here in the hopes of finding the same. My user name is a pen name to avoid confusion since I write in various genres and have two small publications under my real name. Not to mention my elderly mother reads romance, and I don't want to go there with her. Should we become "critique partners in crime", I will of course let you know who I am.

Kaya

rchl

Post by rchl » July 1st, 2021, 11:57 pm

I am Rachel. I'm from the US. I like to write sci-fi and fantasy. :)