The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Walker

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Walker » December 15th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Hi, I'm Karen. I just discovered Nathan's blog and the forum this week. Both are incredible resources! I was working on my first (agonizing) query letter when a search turned up a great post by Nathan. Now I've spent hours reading posts and learning a ton of stuff. I'm very excited to see an active community here. I've finished a 95K word supernatural/adventure novel, and have started on a second. Hoping to get a decent query together and start sending it out in the next month. That is, if I can pull myself away from reading the forum posts!

Karen

Margo

Post by Margo » December 16th, 2011, 1:30 pm

Welcome, Walker. Pace yourself. If you try to read all the great posts in one sitting, you'll come up for air sometime next summer.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » December 16th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Hi Karen,

I know! Isn't Nathan's blog and these forums fun? Welcome, and put your feet up and relax. :)

There's a whole forum section on query feedback if you're interested.

zrisso

Post by zrisso » January 7th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker on Nathan's blog for around one year. I only now decided to venture into the forums.

I've been writing since I was in high school, but only seriously considered writing a book a few years ago. Currently, I am working on the revisions for my first book, and the first drafts of the second and third book in the trilogy—yes, yes, I know a trilogy is a cliché goal.

I hope to see everyone around!

madmcgee

Post by madmcgee » January 16th, 2012, 9:37 pm

I have been lurking for the past few days after having discovered this blog in a random web search. *Hello!* The discussions are so intriguing and I have been searching for some kind of support. I live in the boonies of central Washington State, USA, where no writer's workshops exist. It is a lonely feeling.

Anyway, after a year of searching for a local writing buddy, I finally decided my best bet would be to go virtual. I don't write because I'm a lone-wolf or a rebel and I find I just need some human companionship with people who understand.

I have only published a few non-fiction articles in student publications and educational magazines, but nothing in fiction yet. I am currently working on my first novel that I will actually finish. (I know, because I got past the first 20,000 words, and I am not about to waste the effort now. Plus, I am in love with my protagonist.)

I write because if I don't, the leading lady of my novels will definitely kick my butt. And she's stronger than me. Even now, I am being bullied at the keyboard; she wants me to stop "networking" and get back to work. Alas, I shall.

Nice to *meet* everyone and I look forward to being a contributing of... *ouch* she pulled my hair. Definitely back to work for me!

rotor_bolt

Post by rotor_bolt » January 19th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Hello All --

I came across this site via the Del Rey Books website > Hannah Bowman's Blog > Nathan Bransford's Blog > Forums > Thread.

It's like walking into a book store and ending up in someone's house, talking about writing -- but much easier. Weird how the internets work, isn't it?

I am a full time Iconoclast working in Washington, DC and aspiring science fiction writer.

I look forward to seeing you around.

Margo

Post by Margo » January 20th, 2012, 10:54 pm

I'm afraid we've all been so busy with holidays and life that our welcome wagon didn't come round with the virtual coffee and cookies. A belated welcome to zrisso, madmcgee, and rotor_bolt. There are quite a few of us regulars around here, with all levels of experience, writing in all sorts of genres. Jump in. Have fun.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » January 23rd, 2012, 10:22 am

Margo wrote:I'm afraid we've all been so busy with holidays and life that our welcome wagon didn't come round with the virtual coffee and cookies. A belated welcome to zrisso, madmcgee, and rotor_bolt. There are quite a few of us regulars around here, with all levels of experience, writing in all sorts of genres. Jump in. Have fun.
Ditto. Welcome to all of the newbies! We promise not to bite (but I'd watch out for Margo there ;) ).

Kick back, grab some tea/coffee/Kool-aid and make yourselves at home! We look forward to seeing y'all on the forums.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

amandalinehan

Post by amandalinehan » January 29th, 2012, 11:57 am

Hi there!

My story is similar to many others in this thread - I lurked around here for a good while, and then decided it was time to actually participate! ;)

I'm a novelist and flash fiction writer, and I also have a blog that is non-fiction (inspirational articles) that I've been writing for 3 1/2 years.

I just began working on my third novel yesterday (yay!), my first novel will likely never see the light of day, which is not a bad thing, and my second novel I just self published.

I've got somewhere between 20 - 25 flash fiction pieces, which I think are really fun to write. I write those whenever inspiration strikes. Any flash fiction writers around?

Otherwise, I live in Maryland, am in my early thirties, like cats and yoga, and have a day job with the federal government. Glad to be here. :)

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » January 29th, 2012, 2:23 pm

amandalinehan wrote:Any flash fiction writers around?
Hi!

I write the occasional flash fiction, though my focus is generally novels.

CV

amandalinehan

Post by amandalinehan » January 31st, 2012, 9:06 pm

CharleeVale wrote:
Hi!

I write the occasional flash fiction, though my focus is generally novels.

CV
Cool! Yeah, I tend to write them as the mood strikes me, a lot of times if I'm taking a break from the novel I'm working on.

SteevO

Post by SteevO » February 9th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Hello everybody. I'm SteevO, and I've just discovered this great website. I'm from the east coast of Canada, in my mid- 30's, and just getting into writing. I'm just starting my outline for a mystery novel. Ttrying to absorb as many tools as I can, and am extremely overwhelmed but excited to get into it.
Cheers,
SteevO
The best things in life, aren't things at all.....

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » February 9th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Welcome, SteevO! Getting into your first novel is really terrifying but there's nothing like that feeling. Don't be afraid to drop in and post any questions you have on the forums, we're all really nice, I promise!!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

SteevO

Post by SteevO » February 9th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Thanks Brenda :)
The best things in life, aren't things at all.....

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » February 10th, 2012, 10:48 am

Welcome SteevO! Come join in the discussion! We'd love to hear how your journey is going.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.