The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
carrie_ironhorse

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by carrie_ironhorse » November 17th, 2010, 12:04 am

Hello!
I am Carrie. I live in a land that is far too cold for me (of course, growing up in Arizona, that description could apply to a lot of places.) I am a yet-unpublished writer. I write drawer novels (apparently) and am allergic to editing-that-isn't-complete-rewriting (also apparently.) I've written a bunch of drawer novels. Some of them are pretty all right! And of course, some of them totally suck.

I love science fiction, GLBTQ fiction, and well-written fantasy (I'm really picky about fantasy. I hate cliché, and that's where I see a ton of it.) I am a person of many many hobbies; in addition to reading and writing, I love photography, sewing, knitting, language-inventing, and chocolate-making. I'm a language/linguistics student right now.

I'm hoping to meet some cool people here on the forums, as most people around me don't understand when I rant or rave about writing. :)

lauraedythe

Post by lauraedythe » December 1st, 2010, 11:40 am

Hi All,
I've been lurking for sometime on the forum, and am now dipping my toes in to the pool.
I am basically a pastor's wife with a wild imagination. I haven't dared write in over a decade, yet recently I have been released from my self-imposed silence. I am in the polishing stages of a fantasy novel that I didn't know was inside me, and I am fascinated by the many forum posts I have seen here. Forgive me in advance if I ask silly questions, for I have forgotten much.
Blessings,
lauraedythe

enyouse

Post by enyouse » December 1st, 2010, 12:05 pm

Hey!

Ok, I'll introduce myself. N.A. (pronounced "Any") Hughes. Lawyer by day and night, trying to write on the weekends, 13-16 hours a day. Got married in September - started the novel in June. Wrote 13-16 hours a day on most of the honeymoon, too. Lucky to be married to a writer, and luckier to be married to a writer who finds this behavior more charming than pathological.

Currently about one weekend away from finishing the first draft of the novel. I am not sure what to call it.

(It's about a chronically static guy who takes a job as a long term substitute at a boarding school, and immediately hits rock bottom -his mentor dies, his girlfriend dumps him, the headmistress thinks he's a pervert, pizza places won't deliver to his neighborhood anymore. He takes up a hobby: running a tidy little drug cartel, selling grossly overpriced drugs to his grossly overwealthy students, and maintaining his monopoly by any means necessary. It's funny.)

Literary fiction? Crime? Commercial fiction? Sandwich?

It may be that this novel is just for that tolerant writer I live with to read, but it's encouraged me to write more and take myself seriously doing it. I've been lurking on writing blogs, agent blogs, and publishing blogs.

-NA

Jessi Heinrich

Post by Jessi Heinrich » December 2nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

Hey everyone!

It's nice to meet all of you bajillion people ahead of me and, in advance, all you bajillion people below me.

My name's Jessi. I enjoy reading just as much as I enjoy writing. Most of my friends think I'm nuts for the amount of time I spend doing both. I consider it self-education. I'm a contributor to the Best Damn Creative Writing Blog. Usually my articles focus on writing tips. I'm also the manager and editor-in-chief of Foolish Monster Publications, a branch of Foolish Monster Productions. It's a Detroit-based, artist-centric production company. Up and coming! :)

I like to keep myself distracted, which typically involves lengthy conversations on the following topics: the zombie apocalypse, penguins, volcanic islands used as a form of punishment for hardened criminals, taking over the world, and anything controversial. I pride myself on my unique sense of humor and my ability to make logic illogical. I love wit, sarcasm and rainbows. I'm the most optimistic, megalomaniacal and uncertain person that I know. I bleed awesome.

Can't wait to interact with ya'll around here. :)

Jessi

aduson

Post by aduson » December 2nd, 2010, 10:35 pm

Hi y'all.

I'm Allie, and I live in Tennessee near the Georgia state line. I've lived in this area my whole life except for my 4 years at West Georgia College (now the University of West Georgia ) oh so long ago.

I'm alot like Sarah Jessica Parker, just not the Sex and the City version. Sorry. I'm more like the 1985, Girls Just Want to Have Fun prototype. Instead of standing in front of the class with a goofy, dreamy look on my face confessing that "I love to dance" and hope to one day to be on Dance TV; I type bashfully on my laptop that "I love to write" and hope to one day have a finished manuscript. That's a tall order for me. I don't think I've ever finished any major project I've ever started and that's not just talking literary. My constant prayer is to just let me finish.

Hmm...Do I dare say it?...You know that Karma can be a witch, Allie...Ah, to heck with it!...I'd give up any opportunity of having my book published just to see it finished.

Crap, I said it. But you know something, I think I mean it. But just in case I do finish it, take a message for me if Karma calls.

Cheers!
You have to grow up before you can grow old. - Allie

ckbasi

Post by ckbasi » December 3rd, 2010, 2:06 pm

Hello all! I've been reading Nathan's blog for a while but this is my first foray into the forums. How shall I classify myself? I published an e-romance which is no longer available. So does that make me once again unpublished? Not exactly; I have a good little list of nonfiction magazine credits and four musical works--three available, one in the queue, and a book on celebrating Advent and Christmas as a family. But the toughest nut to crack is that novel, and that's why I'm here--to absorb the communal wisdom.

I have three kids, one of whom has Down syndrome. I always mention that because I've done more published writing on that subject than any other single topic. Fair warning: don't get me started.
On the web at
www.kathleenbasi.com

"Paper sits still. You can write anything on it!"
-Bernadine Sander

TambraKendall

Post by TambraKendall » December 4th, 2010, 1:03 am

Hi all,

I'm Tambra Kendall. I'm published in nonfiction and romance, paranormal mostly. I write my sensual romances under the name Keelia Greer.
My publishers are ebook and small press. I also teach online classes in creative writing. Currently, my teaching focus is on characterization and plotting, the basics of romance writing and how to write erotic love scenes.
I write in sensual and erotic heat levels.

Most of my books feature Celtic mythology or Scotsmen. *Waves to Mia!!!!* I love my Earl Gray, PG Tips and Typhoo tea. I live in Texas, the Houston area. Besides having a fascination with the UK, I also love Australia.

You can find me on Facebook and my dog, Sparky Urban is there, too. Yes, I'm a huge Keith Urban fan but I listen to a wide range of music that includes Blackmore's Night, Within Temptation, Celtic folk to classic rock.

Nice to meet y'all!

Best,
Tambra

lyndoncr

Post by lyndoncr » December 5th, 2010, 1:02 am

I've kind of skipped ahead here and started posting elsewhere.
Ah well, a slightly belated Hello! Been lurking for a while but wanted to jump in with the hopes of learning or thing or two.

Currently writing my second book while the first is bouncing out of Agent in boxes.

Hopefully get to know a bunch of the talented people here over the next few days/months/years ...
- Lyndon

rachely476

Post by rachely476 » December 10th, 2010, 3:16 am

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 11th, 2010, 1:21 pm

rachely476 wrote:Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
Of course! All newcomers welcome!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 15th, 2010, 8:49 pm

rachely476 wrote:Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
Welcome to the forums! Come post, come post! We are very nice to everyone!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 16th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
And we promise not to bite!

...Much.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 16th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Fenris wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:

...Much.
And only when invited.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 16th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Watcher55 wrote:
Fenris wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote: Welcome to the forums! Come post, come post! We are very nice to everyone!

...Much.
And only when invited.
Ok, so yeah, apparently we do bite a little. But we promise to get to know you first.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » December 16th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Hi All,

I just signed up on the recommendation of a friend.
I'm a bit of a lurker but I do post now and then.
I write fantasy.
I have two books, the first is on draft four-hundred and fifty-seven and I'm doing edits on the first draft of number two.
I don't have a lot of time right now but I'll be back to explore.

Mike