The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Debra_A

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Debra_A » September 21st, 2010, 1:27 pm

Hi!

I'm a writer and a mom and a reader. I'm researching and brushing up on query practice for submitting my second manuscript. The first is sort of in limbo, being read by an agent and a publisher. While I wait for their answers, I decided to start making a package for the second manuscript. So hi!

DMM87

Post by DMM87 » September 21st, 2010, 1:43 pm

Hello,

My name is Dana and I'm an aspiring Young Adult author (like so many others). I started writing when I was middle school, but I didn't have time for it once I started high school. I'm about to graduate with my MAT in Elementary and Special Ed; my coursework in writing is what inspired me to start writing again. Right now I am working on a YA Paranormal Romance novel, with another YA idea sitting on the back burner.

I look forward to working with other writers on this forum.

Dana

surrealrain

Post by surrealrain » September 23rd, 2010, 7:53 am

Hi everyone! I may be new to the forum, but I have been reading Nathan's blog for a few years now. I can't tell how much he had helped me to grow as a writer.
I'm not normally a forum type person but I have been lurking for awhile and would really love to be involved in the community.

Just wanted to say hello:-)

Louise Curtis

Post by Louise Curtis » September 24th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Hello *echo echo*

I'm Louise Curtis, an Australian writer of adventure fantasy for children and young adults (most of it at the not-quite-accepted-but-perilously-close stage). I also write stories (generally one a month, and never more than three updates a day) on twitter @Louise_Curtis_ and have a blog of daily awesomeness at http://twittertales.wordpress.com.

I met my husband when I was dressed as Jack Sparrow - including a fake beard. Perhaps unsurprisingly, pirates have fought their way into several of my books.

Louise Curtis

Luke

Post by Luke » September 25th, 2010, 10:03 pm

Hi, my name is Luke. I have been wanting to write a novel for some time now. I came across this blog, read some of it, liked what I read, and so I decided to join this discussion board. As I am in the very early stages of my writing process, I thought this site might inspire me.

mightymouse88

Brand New Member : )

Post by mightymouse88 » September 29th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Hi, my name is Erica. I have no idea why I didn't get onto this forum sooner! I'm 21, a senior in college (double majors in Psych and Spanish), and I am waist deep in my first book. My blog is called "A Novel...Hypothetically Speaking" you can find me on Blogger constantly. My working title is bouncing between Rebel in Remission and Once a Wild Child.. I'm here to get feed back, find a crit partner, connect with other writers, and enjoy my spare time.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » September 29th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Istvan, a Fantasy and Science Fiction writer and a graphic artist, former director and screenwriter of short movies and video games. Right now I'm seeking representation for my fantasy novel and I'm also working on my noir sci-fi webcomic series, which will be released in November.

I look forward to working with other writers on this forum.

Istvan

katecrime

Post by katecrime » September 30th, 2010, 10:08 am

Hi everyone! My name is Kate, and I'm a creative writing major at the University of Maine at Farmington. I stumbled upon this oasis of creativity through word of mouth, and I can't believe I didn't find it sooner! I used to write science fiction until I discovered the beauty of literary crime fiction, and now I'm hooked. Other than that, there isn't too much more about me. I have a dog named Patch who's possibly the best writer's dog in the entire flippin' world (aka lazy and cuddly). Oh, and I'm attempting to finish up the first draft of a new project, which is such a great feeling! Craig, thanks for starting this thread, and everyone, thanks for being instantaneously awesome!

Kate

Starrey eyed

Hi

Post by Starrey eyed » October 1st, 2010, 7:23 am

Hi all,

I am a member of a few writing forums and hope to learn a lot more about the craft, I have been browsing here for a few weeks and you have a lot of good information.

Hope to get to know you all soon.

D.T.Roberts

Post by D.T.Roberts » October 1st, 2010, 1:27 pm

Hi All
My name is Dale. I'm new here as well. I love the idea of interacting with other aspiring writers. I love legal dramas, but, with the popularity of forensics shows on TV, I thought a novel that combined both could have good commercial potential.
I am presently working on my first novel called SANE. It is about a SANE nurse(Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. A nurse who collects forensic evidence from victims of sexual assault.) who uses her position to exact revenge on an abusive boyfriend by placing his semen into evidece kits when she does rape exams.

I look forward to interacting with every one.
It has been said that writing comes more easily if you have something to say.

mightymouse88

Hi, I'm Erica : ) New Member to the Forum

Post by mightymouse88 » October 1st, 2010, 4:44 pm

Hi, my name is Erica, I'm a huge Nathan reader and I wish I'd joined the forum sooner! This is pretty spiffy.
I'm writing a dark lit fic and I have always loved writing but this is my first time writing a full blown MS, so I'm very excited and I want to meet new people who get it. (Love my family and friends... but they don't really get it, you know?) So, I've posted a few things under Excerpts, Crit partners (need a crit partner by the way!), and commented on some others. Not to get all sappy on you, but I LOVE the online writing community and I feel like I found a new home : ) **Vomits on own sappiness**
My blog is mightymouse88-hypotheticallyspeaking.blogspot.com and my email is smithem@bgsu.edu

Dana-Lynn

Post by Dana-Lynn » October 2nd, 2010, 3:21 am

I'm sooo excited to find this site!

Hello, everyone!

I've been a longtime member of Absolute Write, and they talk about Nathan Bransford a lot over there. :) (All good, of course.) I started reading Nathan's blog recently AND LOVE IT! Soooo many great tips! Then I discovered this forum. How awesome!

I LOVE to read, and I started writing fiction when I was 12 and wrote constantly until my mid-twenties. I took several years off from writing when my kids were small, but rediscovered my passion for it three years ago, and have been writing consistently again ever since. Young adult "realistic fiction" is what I've always loved to read, and that is what I love to write the most. I've written several short stories for children, and enjoy writing middle-grade also.

I have a completed first YA novel called "Someone Left To Love" that I started writing back in 2007, but that novel STILL needs work, so it's been put on the back-burner while I focus on finishing the final draft of my second YA novel called "Big Mouth Blues". I think this novel has a shot. :D My first novel was an awesome learning process. I learned soooo much from writing it that my second one has benefitted tremendously from it. "Big Mouth Blues" is faster paced and much more of a page-turner.... :D Now onward to the wonderful world of learning how to write a query letter & synopsis (which is a WHOLE OTHER ball game! Eeek! lol!) I think I finally have the gyst of query letter writing down, but don't have the first clue what to put into a synopsis yet.

:D
*It's the writer's job to keep upping the ante on the complications, starting a bigger problem the minute the last one's resolved, keeping the reader turning those pages.*

arbraun

Post by arbraun » October 2nd, 2010, 3:52 pm

That sounds like a good one, Dale!

Jenemb

Post by Jenemb » October 4th, 2010, 9:53 am

Everyone here is so nice!

I'm Jen. I live in Townsville (the most unimaginatively named place in the world), Queensland, Australia. I'm 34, and also wishing that I'd started getting serious about writing a lot earlier. Although, to be fair, when I was a teenager there weren't resources like these blogs, and I grew up in a very small town where the library was one room in the council chambers. And it smelled bad.

I've just finished my first novel - well, the first one I wasn't embarrassed to send out - and I'm so glad to know that there are a whole lot of people out there in the same boat! It makes the process so much more enjoyable.

Jen

grazia

Post by grazia » October 4th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Hello all, I've been reading Nathan's words for years and finally decided to join the blog.
I'm a survivor of the "old" publishing world, (before email and posts - I actually may be the only living person who still knows how to operate a teletype). Long ago I worked for a NY scout who shall remain nameless. I then got a master in journalism, lived in mid-Missouri for 10 years, raised 3 wonderful girls with a wonderful husband, wrote for local papers, briefly worked in an early e-publishing venture, and am now an English adjunct at a local community college in northern NJ. (No, I don't know the Jersey Shore guys, but, yes, I actually know the TV "housewives." Happily I'm not one of them :).)
I too have a novel-in-the-drawer (actually, in the computer - I did learn that too along the way too...). It's a "woman's novel" for lack of a better word.
I think I'm doing this for the same reasons everyone else has posted, so I won't bore you. I am here to be inspired by you - so lead me onward, you brave souls!
Grazia