Forum Suggestions Box

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
charlotte49ers

Re: Forum Suggestions Box

Post by charlotte49ers » July 22nd, 2010, 1:22 pm

Mira wrote:I have two requests.

First, I could use a spell checker.

Second, everytime someone PMs me, it sends me an e-mail from nb@cbld.com. I get a heart attack each time because I think you've e-mailed me. This leads me to my problem. Why don't you e-mail me more? Then I would stop having heart attacks because it would just be like "ho, hum. Nathan e-mailed me again." You don't have to offer me representation when you e-mail me, although that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. You could just chat. Tell me how much work you have to do that day. Things like that.

Just a suggestion.

Btw, thanks for the forums. I have so much fun here!
Oh my goodness…this made me laugh out loud. :D

Quill

Post by Quill » July 22nd, 2010, 6:14 pm

you dont hav spel cheker here?

I do. That's weird.

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » August 8th, 2010, 12:47 pm

How about hosting flash fiction challenges? :) I participate in a weekly challenge on another site and realized how fun it could be on this forum.

Usually, a mod gives the prompt at a specific time one night a week and then you have 90 minutes to write/edit before posting the piece in a thread. It's helped my writing SO much.

elfspirit

Post by elfspirit » August 11th, 2010, 8:30 pm

I would love a separate section on marketing, since it looks like whether your publisher is large or small, marketing is increasingly a responsibility of the author.

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » September 13th, 2010, 1:14 am

A multi-quote function. That would be amazingly helpful. :D (Maybe I missed how to do it on your forums?)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 14th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Regan Leigh wrote:A multi-quote function. That would be amazingly helpful. :D (Maybe I missed how to do it on your forums?)
Could you describe what you mean by multi-quote?

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » September 14th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:
Regan Leigh wrote:A multi-quote function. That would be amazingly helpful. :D (Maybe I missed how to do it on your forums?)
Could you describe what you mean by multi-quote?
Multi-quote is a function on several forums in which you can click "multi-quote" (it's usually a double "" symbol next to the regular quote button---and it's often orange for some reason [possible perk]) and then quote from multiple posts. Usually the way it works is that you click multi-quote on the first few posts you wish to quote, then you click quote on the last one, then all the quotes will appear in your reply---it saves the time of bouncing back and forth between comments and quoting from each individually.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 14th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Hmmm... I'll look into that, thanks!

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » September 14th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Oops, missed this. Sorry!

Yeah, multi-quote let's you reply to more people at a time. The way I've used it before, you hit the multi button beside each post you want to quote and on the last one you hit the regular quote button. It makes it easier to join in if you've missed some time getting back to a thread.

Mira

Post by Mira » September 24th, 2010, 11:23 pm

I have a serious suggestion. This is up to you, of course, since it's sort of a big change, but you might consider a small group of moderators in addition to Bryan. Maybe two or three to start.

The benefit of a small group: it's easier for a group to keep the forum active, they can welcome and include newbies, organize events, create a feeling of community and share duties among themselves.

Best folks for moderators are the ones who get along with everyone, have very good judgment and are friendly and fair (like Bryan :). It's nice if they get along with each other too, and can function independently. I can think of regulars who would do a great job. I'm willing, of course, (partly because I want my name to be in a special color), but I may not be the best choice, for.....various reasons. But no worries, either way. :)

If you spell out clear expectations for duties and conduct and have periodic check-in meetings - maybe monthly at first, then less over time - it's easy to keep things on track.

You also need people, of course, who understand that moderating does not equal representation. The exposure from moderating your site alone is a strong incentive, because it can help to build a platform. But you could also offer occasional page or query critiques as compensation. Those are worth their weight in gold.

So, just a suggestion, but one you might consider....less work for you over time, hopefully, too. You could also try it on a trial basis to see if it works for everyone.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » September 25th, 2010, 10:22 am

I don't know if you would consider adding a "Good News" section or not. Maybe a place where people can announce the sale of their novel or the fact that they got signed with an agent? Encouraging each other is the backbone of a writer's forum, in my opinion, though I also know that a section like this could easily devolve into, "My bad haircut finally grew out! Yay me!"

So whatever you think.

Quill

Post by Quill » September 25th, 2010, 10:34 am

I think when it comes to forums I think less is more.

One might think that creating more categories makes navigation clearer, but it can also make the board appear daunting, especially to a newbie. One of the things that attracted me to this place was its intimate feel. I wouldn't want to lose that feeling through excessive spreading out.

It also makes more clicking to check on basically the same number of posts.

We have just expanded to thirteen forums. I wouldn't want to see too many more than that. I believe a lot of what one might put in specialized forums does fit just fine in more general categories, and helps keep those existing categories active. On so many boards where I have seen twenty or more forums, only a small percentage could be considered active.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 25th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Quill wrote:I think when it comes to forums I think less is more.

One might think that creating more categories makes navigation clearer, but it can also make the board appear daunting, especially to a newbie. One of the things that attracted me to this place was its intimate feel. I wouldn't want to lose that feeling through excessive spreading out.

It also makes more clicking to check on basically the same number of posts.

We have just expanded to thirteen forums. I wouldn't want to see too many more than that. I believe a lot of what one might put in specialized forums does fit just fine in more general categories, and helps keep those existing categories active. On so many boards where I have seen twenty or more forums, only a small percentage could be considered active.
This has been my basic operating philosophy. I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. I think I'm probably going to hold here for now and see how it goes.

I even resisted the change I just made for a long time, but I was growing worried that new people weren't clicking through to find the query and page critiques, and that someone visiting the forums for the first time might not know they were there. I also created the Ask Nathan thread so it would hopefully be easier to find questions that were asked previously.

On Mira's question, I think it's a good idea, but one other operating philosophy is that I wanted to make this board as non-hierarchical as possible. I'm just not sure a forum of this size needs more moderators, and I think leaders tend to natural develop in forums and take on certain tasks themselves, like welcoming new people and serving as a leader in certain areas. Just don't want things to feel cliquish, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the great suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Mira

Post by Mira » September 25th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:
On Mira's question, I think it's a good idea, but one other operating philosophy is that I wanted to make this board as non-hierarchical as possible. I'm just not sure a forum of this size needs more moderators, and I think leaders tend to natural develop in forums and take on certain tasks themselves, like welcoming new people and serving as a leader in certain areas. Just don't want things to feel cliquish, if that makes sense.
That's a really good point! I guess because of your position as a literary agent, empowering people is a tricky thing - it could give a feeling of a clique - or heriarchy. And one that could transfer to the blog. That makes alot of sense, actually. The benefit is they would help the site grow - but the downside may not be worth it.

I forget you think all these things out so carefully - and I'm sure having more moderators occured to you, too. :)

Darn though. I was secretly hoping you'd pick me, so I could get a nice color. I was going to hold out for a pretty pink. Sort of rainbowy, with a glistening pearly overcast, light purple undertones and a soft white glow. Wouldn't that be lovely? I don't suppose I could get that anyway....? Not sure I see a downside to THAT....

So, I like the new organization! And I really like how you separated out the Ask Nathan thread - that was brilliant. I also love Down the Well's suggestion of a good news forum - but I also understand the board is getting long already. Maybe we could add a "Good News" thread......that would be cool!

Thanks, Nathan!

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » October 1st, 2010, 7:54 pm

*deleted*

Nevermind!! I was blind and didn't see that what I wanted was already there!