Important Announcement About Page Critiques, 8/16/10

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Nathan Bransford

Important Announcement About Page Critiques, 8/16/10

Post by Nathan Bransford » August 16th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Hi all,

So, I have to say that as much as I'm enjoying the Page Critiques as a regular Monday blog feature, I'm afraid I've noticed a noticeable ebb in the number of comments and page views on Mondays, and I fear it's growing stale as a weekly topic. As a result I'm thinking of suspending the critiques as a regular feature on the blog.

But! I was thinking that weekly Page Critiques might be a more useful feature in the Forums, which could be a more natural fit because the format allows more flexibility with quoting and continuing conversations. So we could continue the discussion here every Monday, and occasionally I'd use the critiques for the main blog as well.

Please let me know all thoughts/questions/concerns/complaints/unrelated thoughts!

stephmcgee

Re: Important Announcement About Page Critiques, 8/16/10

Post by stephmcgee » August 16th, 2010, 11:49 pm

Do what you feel is best. I've enjoyed the feature, despite not commenting. For some reason the posts from your blog don't show up in my Google reader for several hours after you've posted them so usually by the time I get to it what I might have to say has been said. Today was the first time I'd commented because I actually remembered to go looking for it to show up in my dashboard.

But, again, do what you feel is best.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » August 17th, 2010, 10:35 am

Sounds fine to me! I enjoy them a lot, but I'm one of those insecure weirdos who doesn't feel able enough to critique them myself. So I would hate to see it go away entirely (I've learned a lot from them), but I wouldn't mind if it moved here, either. :-)

Mira

Post by Mira » August 17th, 2010, 11:58 am

Well, first and foremost, I defer to your instincts about the blog. You are really good when it comes to pacing and understanding the blog. But I will say, if I were in your shoes, I'd be considering the same thing....

In terms of what's happening around the critiques - that's interesting. I saw there were less comments, but less page loads, too.....probably for many reasons.....Not everyone who reads your blog is a writer; it generates less discussion (because your reviews are so good that there's not much to argue about) so there are probably less repeat visitors; some people may wait and read it on Tuesday with the Tuesday post. I think it's true that variety, controversy, voicing opinions, interaction these are things that tend to get a blog hopping. But I also think it's hard to measure the really important thing; even with less page views, how much positive impact your critiques may have. I would guess, quite a bit.

Well, you know how I feel about the critiques. They are absolutely golden, and we are extremely lucky that you are willing to do them. I think they benefit the entire writing community because they are so on target. They are also, not incidentally, an awesome advertisement for yourself as an agent. Who wouldn't want to work with you and recieve the benefit of your editorial skills? It's very compelling.

But I think the important question is: do you enjoy them? I hope you don't continue them here or there out of a sense of obligation, because you obviously work extremely hard and have enough on your plate. But if they are fun for you - absolutely!!!!!

Personally, I'll take what I can get - I almost feel guilty for benefiting from something so helpful - for free, no less. So, whenever and whereever you provide them, I'll be there! And, down the road, you may want to consider hosting a workshop - either on-line or in person. You really do have a talent for seeing writing with clarity and teaching. Imho, for what it's worth.

Mira

Post by Mira » August 17th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Oh, one more quick thing - I've noticed the Town Hall forum is probably read less than others - because so many of the posts are people putting their pages up for critique - so, if you do them here, you might want to choose a different forum, or set up it's own....just a thought, for what it's worth.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 17th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Well, Nathan, you certainly know how to make more work for yourself!

Seems fine to me. If you need anything, just ask.

Bryan
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » August 17th, 2010, 4:44 pm

I think it's a good idea to move it around a bit. It's easier to read and comment through the forums on something like that. I especially have a hard time when checking it on my phone -- too much to try and type in a blogger comment box.

Plus, you could post a new one on Monday then mention it in the Friday post so people can go see what type of crits it got through out the week. I know I'm horrible at checking back to old posts, but I do glance around at older threads.

One of the Mad Ones

Post by One of the Mad Ones » August 18th, 2010, 11:57 pm

I'll appreciate them wherever they are!

dpwriter

Post by dpwriter » August 28th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Well, I'm happy either way, but I will point out that by moving it here, you forced me to sign up and check out the forums! Thanks for this constructive form of procrastination (I know I'm not the first one to say this, but it is SO true.)

Peace