New Member - Greetings from Brisbane, Australia

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
PeterTaylor

New Member - Greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Post by PeterTaylor » October 9th, 2019, 7:38 am

Unlike some authors named Peter Taylor, I’m still alive and have never won the Pulitzer Prize or written business books.

I was born and raised in England, trained in ecology, taught science and art there for 10 years, have an interest in history, and was a museum curator for a while. My next project is writing an ‘informational fiction’ work featuring England’s most famous Victorian hermit. The research is done, but I’m a procrastinator. I’ve just ‘finished’ an upper middle grade story blending present-day school life with the child main character’s uncle's experiences on the Burma Railway in WWII. If I could only have one more book published, it would be this one. It’s taken 8 years and there are more than 250 files on my computer under the story’s title.

In 1982, Australia wouldn’t give me a visa to emmigrate as a teacher, but apparently they needed a freelance calligrapher and I had a reputation for that, and I’ve since have had several books published on the subject…and could write more. I find nonfiction much easier than fiction.

I had an agent for 10 years, but she’s recently terminated our agreement to explore a venture outside publishing. Curses!! – especially because I also write picture books, and there are few agents or even agencies that rep. all my output. I'm loath to query another one-person agency.

I’ve been the Queensland Coordinator of SCBWI – the international Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators - and will always be pleased to help when I can with facts and info, but probably only critique the occasional picture book and query…though Nathan will give far better advice on that.

Best wishes to all

Peter

Princesisto

Re: New Member - Greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Post by Princesisto » October 10th, 2019, 12:34 am

Welcome, Peter!

From a Kiwi who formerly lived in Brisbane for about 2 years (No, not on the dole!).

If you want to do critique exchange on your finished upper middle grade book and my short stories (maybe later book) send a message.

PeterTaylor

Re: New Member - Greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Post by PeterTaylor » October 21st, 2019, 4:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the offer, Princesisto!

I went to a writers conference last weekend and paid to have the first 15 pages of my upper MG critiqued by the Hardie Grant Egmont children's publisher. She liked it and said it had promise...but it's back to the drawing board :) And I need to get more familair with current 13-year-old langauge.

Very best wishes for all your output. I'm afraid I'm only comfortable commenting on and making suggestions for picure books

Take care and have fun

Peter