New Member - Greetings from Brisbane, Australia

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
PeterTaylor

New Member - Greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Post by PeterTaylor » October 9th, 2019, 7:38 am

Unlike some authors named Peter Taylor, I’m still alive and have never won the Pulitzer Prize or written business books.

I was born and raised in England, trained in ecology, taught science and art there for 10 years, have an interest in history, and was a museum curator for a while. My next project is writing an ‘informational fiction’ work featuring England’s most famous Victorian hermit. The research is done, but I’m a procrastinator. I’ve just ‘finished’ an upper middle grade story blending present-day school life with the child main character’s uncle's experiences on the Burma Railway in WWII. If I could only have one more book published, it would be this one. It’s taken 8 years and there are more than 250 files on my computer under the story’s title.

In 1982, Australia wouldn’t give me a visa to emmigrate as a teacher, but apparently they needed a freelance calligrapher and I had a reputation for that, and I’ve since have had several books published on the subject…and could write more. I find nonfiction much easier than fiction.

I had an agent for 10 years, but she’s recently terminated our agreement to explore a venture outside publishing. Curses!! – especially because I also write picture books, and there are few agents or even agencies that rep. all my output. I'm loath to query another one-person agency.

I’ve been the Queensland Coordinator of SCBWI – the international Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators - and will always be pleased to help when I can with facts and info, but probably only critique the occasional picture book and query…though Nathan will give far better advice on that.

Best wishes to all

Peter

Princesisto

Re: New Member - Greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Post by Princesisto » October 10th, 2019, 12:34 am

Welcome, Peter!

From a Kiwi who formerly lived in Brisbane for about 2 years (No, not on the dole!).

If you want to do critique exchange on your finished upper middle grade book and my short stories (maybe later book) send a message.