Looking for a Critique Partner (Fantasy)

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
Guardian

Looking for a Critique Partner (Fantasy)

Post by Guardian » September 29th, 2010, 5:27 pm

I'm looking for a critique partner for my fantasy novel. It's about angels and demons, but not on the traditional way (So here you may forget anything what you ever read about angels and demons.). I'd like to start with the first three chapters as regardless they've successfully passed a dozen beta reads and I always recieved only positive feedbacks, this work is still getting rejections. So I'd like to know what could be the problems that my previous betas presumably missed. The website in my signature is the novel's homepage and the winged lady is the main character.

I will, of course, recipricate (Sci-fi, fantasy, thriller and mystery is my primary genre.).

Thanks forwardly.

sgf

Re: Looking for a Critique Partner (Fantasy)

Post by sgf » September 29th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Hi Guardian,

I enjoyed looking at the artwork on your website. I'd be happy to swap chapters 1-3 with you, if you're interested. I'm currently working on what I consider my "2nd to last" draft of all my chapters; 1-3 should be fairly polished but I want to give them a final review. For a sample of what my fantasy novel is like, you can find my query letter attempts on this site's Query Feedback forum, and the first page is also up on the Excerpt Feedback thread.

If you'd like to trade the first 3 chapters, just send me a note.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » September 29th, 2010, 9:14 pm

I would be happy to trade with you. I'm going to send it to you tomorrow as I can't access my official email from my laptop (Thunderbird glitch). But I'm glad you like the arts. :) When you received my one, you can send yours to that email.

You may find the query of Crystal Shade in "Nathan's Critique Fridays".
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1584&start=140#p25957

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 1st, 2010, 12:17 pm

A little add-on. SGF is a brilliant reviewer. I'd like to say thanks for his help.

Now my turn comes to fulfill our agreement. :)

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 1st, 2010, 8:21 pm

I'm willing to take another beta reader for the first three chapters. More the merrier. :) Same as before, I'm gladly giving beta review for exchange.

heather_hangs_it

Post by heather_hangs_it » October 17th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Still looking for another reviewer? I'd happily attempt to fit the bill!

~heather

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 20th, 2010, 10:33 am

Yep. The offer still stands.

jzweig

Post by jzweig » October 25th, 2010, 12:36 pm

If you're still looking for another reviewer for your first three chapters, send me a pm.

Query posted below so you have an idea what you're getting into :)

Out of the closed community of the Nine, the newest evolution of Man proceeds. But once Raiana Draco, one of their top students, discovered it’s plot to use students as a means to power a warring nations’ fleet and arsenal, she’s signed up to be made into a battery for that very thing. But thanks to the loving instructor she escaped into a fractured United States.

Hunted by the academy and its ally, The Coalition of United Territories, in a world nearly devoid of magic, she must survive a science driven society by soliciting her services to a military union who wages a secret war against them.
With war already in motion, she quickly gains her commander’s trust and is assigned to a special team to protect the countries last stockpile of vital resources.

But not all is what it seems.

Rai and her company must traverse the hostile territory as they are pushed to their limits by fatigue, persecution, and misled by a traitorous mind. But the wolf among their sheep discovers his union’s details about the stockade. An emergency wormhole device designed to retrieve other agents of war from alternate worlds. The C.U.T. need their homegrown batteries to make it work. And only her father has the answers for them to stop them.

The traitor leads to the companies escape and advance on their mission, but they must remain vigilant. They race against time and decaying moral unsure what awaits them at the end of their road: salvation or destruction.

THE END BEGINS is a Science Fiction story at 90,000 words. It is my first novel.
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Mohammad Ali

http://storiesofsleeplessmind.blogspot.com/
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jzwegii

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 27th, 2010, 8:59 am

Check your mail. :)

Fenris

Post by Fenris » October 30th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Hey Guardian-

If you're still looking for critique partners, I'd be glad to help. Your book sounds interesting, and it's got some parallels with my own: mine also deals with angels and demons (though it's a subplot, it's still one of the supporting pillars of the story). It also kind of twists the general idea of each of them. I'm afraid I don't have a website, so pm me if you're interested.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 30th, 2010, 4:49 pm

PM sent.

shadow

Post by shadow » October 31st, 2010, 12:58 pm

If you are still interested, PM me. I would love to trade some work. My current novel is a YA fantasy which I am revising by the orders (jk) of a large publishing house. I also currently have 5 MS requests out, but would love some extra opinion. You can view some of my work here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2265&p=25084#p25084 That is just a small scene though.

Cheers!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 31st, 2010, 6:50 pm

Shadow. PM sent.

shadow

Post by shadow » October 31st, 2010, 7:20 pm

PM sent back!!

Happy Halloween :D
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Guardian

Post by Guardian » November 2nd, 2010, 8:56 pm

As I'm progressing with the reviews faster then as I estimated in the last few days, I'm willing to take one more beta reader. More the merrier. :)

Change of terms: As my chapters are longer then the usual, the new rule is; exchange by word count (app. 15000 word per round.). So everyone is reading the same quantity. We're already doing this with my other trustworthy beta readers as there are great differences between the length of 3 chapters... and 3 chapters.