Thorough is a must! Maybe a group?

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
D.S. Deshaw

Thorough is a must! Maybe a group?

Post by D.S. Deshaw » July 22nd, 2010, 4:11 am

Hello! I am looking for an active critique partner for a YA romance/supernatural WIP. Since it's a WIP, I'm looking for someone who will remain engaged for more than just a one time read-through :) I really would like someone who is thorough and heavy-handed when necessary; I learn from my mistakes, but I need someone to tell me when and where I can improve. This is the first novel I am writing with the intention to publish, so I really want all the feedback I can get.

For whoever is up to this, I am very willing to return the favor. A lot of times, I feel that improvement can be made by helping someone else improve and noticing faults in others. I am actually writing this with another person, so you will receive not one, but two eyes to critique your story. We're the most interested in reading and critiquing a similar genre to ours, but we love fantasy as well.

If there is more than one person who's up to this, I would love to start a critique group. If interested, please reply here or PM me, thank you!
Show, not Tell -- blog, funny times, updated daily (weekends don't count).

AMSchilling

Re: Thorough is a must! Maybe a group?

Post by AMSchilling » July 22nd, 2010, 8:55 am

I've got a "finished" (like they ever are) YA urban fantasy w/ some romance elements if you're interested. I started with the query stage but have some general questions about how everything flows and if enough actually happens. Mainly I'd be looking for that - is there enough tension in the critical scenes, is any scene just wasted space, and does it feel like there was actually a point to the story or was it more of a peek into someone's world where not enough happens dramatically? It's book one of a series and I'm a little concerned that I spent too much time setting up for all the big stuff that happens in book two. My husband wasn't any help on that, LOL. His main two comments were that the pacing was good and my protagonist (a 16 yr old girl) wasn't whiny and annoying like he finds most of them. :-)
-Amy

"Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open." - Stephen King

http://www.amschilling.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Schill ... 9869525150

scribbler

Post by scribbler » July 22nd, 2010, 8:10 pm

Hi there,

I am in the revisions stage of my Science Fiction/Urban Fantasy MS and am also looking for a critique partner or group. I too am looking for someone who is thorough, helpful and totally honest and I am happy to return the favour. I would love to partner up or do a group. What do you think?

thewhipslip

Post by thewhipslip » July 23rd, 2010, 6:07 pm

I'm in. I've got a YA Fantasy (with some romance thrown in) that I'll be starting a final draft on next month, so I'm looking for as many eyes as possible. I love reading others' works, so having a few novels to read through isn't a problem for me.
http://elenasolodow.blogspot.com/ - Submit your 250-500 word excerpt to be read out loud in a vlog post!

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » July 24th, 2010, 9:06 am

I'd love to. Happy to read anything and love some feedback myself. Thing is I am a completely different genre to you guys. I read YA and fantasy so happy to comment just not sure my writing is up your street...

LBender

Post by LBender » July 27th, 2010, 4:30 pm

I've done some critiquing, and I find that I tend to concentrate on flow and making sure that whatever parameters you're using in your world stay true to themselves. In other words, if something strikes a false note, I'll let you know.

I would like someone to do the same for mine. I have finished two novels of my own, although nothing published yet. One is a YA, probably Science Fiction, the other is a mystery. If I can get someone to take a look at the YA, that would be great. I need to warn you, though, that I'm not real fond of lots of pain and dark. Sweetness and light are certainly not necessary, but I definitely prefer some light at the end of the tunnel.

Please let me know if you're interested.

heather_hangs_it

Post by heather_hangs_it » August 2nd, 2010, 12:53 am

Did anyone decide yet that a group would be a super awesome way to go?

I've got a paranormal wip with some romance thrown in that is on it's way to a minor/major overhaul. The characters will be the same and most of the elements will, too. It's my backstory that needs some serious work. But I would love to read and get involved with a critique group.

Let's do it!

~heather

wetair

Post by wetair » August 4th, 2010, 7:36 pm

i think a group would a really good way to go!

i have an urban fantasy work in progress - i would like to be part of a group! maybe i should just pm you all?

D.S. Deshaw

Post by D.S. Deshaw » August 5th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Hi everyone!

The group did not work out so well, but feel free to contact the other people who have posted on this thread to try to make a group. Hopefully they are still looking and wouldn't mind a PM. I have found a partner and that should do me for now :)

Good luck!
Show, not Tell -- blog, funny times, updated daily (weekends don't count).

wetair

Post by wetair » August 5th, 2010, 9:30 pm

D.S. Deshaw wrote:Hi everyone!

The group did not work out so well, but feel free to contact the other people who have posted on this thread to try to make a group. Hopefully they are still looking and wouldn't mind a PM. I have found a partner and that should do me for now :)

Good luck!
that's too bad! so i am still looking.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 7th, 2010, 11:32 pm

wetair wrote:so i am still looking.
You want a group specifically, or would one person do?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

wetair

Post by wetair » August 8th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Margo wrote:
wetair wrote:so i am still looking.
You want a group specifically, or would one person do?
one person will do!

Margo

Post by Margo » August 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm

wetair wrote:one person will do!
PM'd you.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mel

Post by Mel » October 7th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Are you guys still looking for group members?