Seeking CPs for Biology Sci Fi Novella 42k

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
Haldane B Doyle

Seeking CPs for Biology Sci Fi Novella 42k

Post by Haldane B Doyle » January 30th, 2022, 5:07 am

I am adding finishing touches to the second draft of my sci fi novella (42 k words) and hunting for CPs and beta readers. The story might fit better under speculative fiction since it is set in a hard science based distant future where industrial technology has vanished and been replaced with methods built out of biotechnology alone. The absence of rockets and robots means it reads more like a fantasy or dystopian YA in some places. I have a background in research science and hope to write science fiction for scientists, while still spinning a compelling narrative with tangible characters. Comps could include Oryx and Crake, Children of Time and Brave New World.

The story is the first of a series of four novellas, each with a different POV character, that are connected by a secondary character passing through each of their lives. These other stories have already been drafted and put a few alpha readers and should be available after rewrites for any CPs who want to continue working together longer term. The story contains a fair bit of death, suffering and sex, though it is in no way erotica. Prefer to swap files by email, starting with some small sample chapters to see if we click, but can adapt to other formats if necessary.

Mostly looking for quick, high level reads. I love Mary Robinette Kowal's approach of encouraging the reader to note anywhere they were bored, confused, unconvinced or impressed. I have experience critiquing multiple novels for critique partners who regularly tell me I provide highly useful insight and suggestions (and I usually can't help myself taking the time to spot slippery typos that are likely to get past future copy editors). If possible taking some time to chat on skype/zoom at the end of a story arc is also really useful in my experience.

Harbourman

Re: Seeking CPs for Biology Sci Fi Novella 42k

Post by Harbourman » July 22nd, 2022, 7:41 am

Happy to read and cp