Seeking memoir critique partner

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
kormanik

Seeking memoir critique partner

Post by kormanik » October 30th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Hello! I have drafted an 80,000-word memoir about growing up playing competitive chess. It's split into two "parts": my childhood and young adulthood.

Part 1, about my childhood, describes how I got into chess, what it was like to play in scholastic tournaments, and how it shaped me. Chess and I then drifted apart, reuniting again in college by happenstance. This leads to Part 2, a coming-of-age story in which I became friends with some of the best chess players in the world (making an International Master boyfriend in the process). I describe their brilliance, chronicle our crazy shenanigans along with my best friend (who I met through chess when I was 12), and share the dark and ugly side of these brilliant minds. This second part covers about 2.5 years of my life.

Throughout the memoir are pasted actual journal entries from these times, which is one thing (of many) I would love a critique of (if I should include them as-is or re-write them into the narrative).

Hoping to find another memoir writer who is looking for a critique partner for their manuscript!

Karin

Re: Seeking memoir critique partner

Post by Karin » December 9th, 2020, 8:48 pm

I would love to partner with you concerning our respective memoirs. My manuscript is approximately 25 thousand words. It captures a special time in New Orleans at a special place where superstar celebrities and ordinary people mingled. The stars aligned for the man who created this nightclub, a man who crawled out of poverty onto a ladder that he climbed to unimaginable heights of success. His story is fascinating and includes a detour for a love connection, wild and crazy nights that fueled his reputation as a creative mastermind and a dramatic fall from grace.

I am a former journalist and I have written the book as a series of fact-based essays. I hope the elements work together and provide a good read while also documenting history.