New Writing Group | Writers Wanted

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
JhonS

New Writing Group | Writers Wanted

Post by JhonS » October 15th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Hello all,

I am part of a newly formed Writing group. We had 4 members, but after a few meetings only 3 of us have shown up. so we are looking for some others who are more serious. We have only been doing this for 3 weeks, and are looking for fellow writers interested in joining.

We keep in contact via Skype, and are more than critique partners for one another. we give support in writing, we are accountable to one another in writing every day, and also we critique and brainstorm together. We aren't looking for someone professional or established, just others interested in writing and maybe taking it a little bit more serious then they have in the past. again, I feel it is important to say we aren't just a critique group, but a group of individuals staying in contact and encouraging one another to continue writing every day.

We meet at least once a week on the weekends on Skype. All the meetings are through a voice call, and we keep in contact through the week via the Skype group chat. The only thing expected out of you will be to read and critique others pieces when they submit them to the group, and to write on a regular enough schedule so we can also critique your work. You'll have to be able to attend the voice calls, and be okay with it not being a black tie affair. We are a group of some writers interested in collectively getting better and supporting one another.

I'll be honest, if you can't show up to the meetings on Skype then it won't work for you. So much more can be accomplished when we meet and talk in real time instead of through text on a screen. WE are not up tight folks either, in the meetings we have we also joke around and have fun, but it always comes back to writing as that's what we are a group for.

Genres aren't going to matter much, our first actual Critique session is going to be this Saturday, October 17, 2015. We have a urban fantasy, a modern litty short story, and something which feels more like epic fantasy. All genres are welcome, we aren't picky we just appreciate writers and those who want to keep writing and get better at it. A sense of humor may be needed however, not in your writing but in the meetings. :)

If you are interested you can shoot me a email at Blindbookreview@gmail.com, or you can hit me up on twitter @Blind_Jhon. I'm on twitter all the time and if you message me on there it's likely I'll reply back within just a min or two.

I understand that not all people are a fit for one another in a writing group, and that's neither good or bad. sometimes folks just don't click together. Our group is new though and we don't have any established feel for it, so anyone is welcome. We want to find other serious authors and have a good time writing together. if you are interested we'll meet up on Skype and talk and you can find out if you want to commit to the group.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who is interested. I'll also be keeping an eye on these forums for replies, feel free to ask any questions.
and by the way, currently we have 2 active members from the states, and one from England, so people from anywhere are welcome.

longknife

Re: New Writing Group | Writers Wanted

Post by longknife » October 15th, 2015, 1:58 pm

I would like to join but have no idea what Skype is, have never used it, and generally don't like and don't use social media.

Thanks anyway
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

JhonS

Post by JhonS » October 16th, 2015, 7:51 am

longknife wrote:I would like to join but have no idea what Skype is, have never used it, and generally don't like and don't use social media.
Skype is a application you download onto your computer. You can then add contacts by username and can Instant message, voice call, or video call them. It's used by millions of people to keep in contact, and works really good for something like what we're using it for. The paid part they talk about on the web site is not necessary, I've never paid for Skype credit or anything like that. The instant Messaging, voice calling, and video calling is all free, and the IM and voice calls are the only thing we use in the group.

Here is the link for Skype,
http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/ ... -computer/

Skype isn't a social media site or anything like it, it's just a application you can add people you know to, and keep in contact with them.

Since you have never used Skype, and if you want to download it and try, I was wondering. Do you have a microphone? That is needed for voice calls, personally I use a headset with a built in microphone. A internal computer microphone may be difficult for a group call as they tent to pick up allot of background noise, and that can make it hard to hear the others in the call. for one on calls it's typically perfectly fine though.

If you are interested go ahead and download Skype, you will make a Skype username and that's how other people will add you as a contact. after you do so you can message me on here with your Skype name, or I can message you with mine.

JhonS

Post by JhonS » November 9th, 2015, 8:00 am

We currently have four members, still looking for a couple more who are interested. If you are, feel free to get a hold of me via email, twitter, or a reply here.

Even If you've never been in a writing group there's no reason to hesitate to join one. They are the best resource for moving along as a writer and getting better. also no commitment by looking into it, if it's something you don't like then you can decide that before making the plunge.

hauntedsouls

Post by hauntedsouls » June 28th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I am very interested. I have skype and use it all the time. I've been a part of several groups and always loved working with them. I know how to criticque properly and am comfortable receiving a criticque in return. I live in Toronto, Canada, and make my living as a writer.