Synopsis Tips.

Ugh. You got stuck writing a synopsis. Help is on the way.
arvales12

Synopsis Tips.

Post by arvales12 » July 2nd, 2012, 11:32 am

Can anyone give me tips on what should be included in a Synopsis? Even an example will do me great. After I got my synopsis, I'll post it for critiquing and next is for a critic partner, and you guys know all the works...

My finished novel is a Fantasy Adventure novel...

cheekychook

Re: Synopsis Tips.

Post by cheekychook » July 2nd, 2012, 1:26 pm

A synopsis is a complete summary of your book from beginning to end. It should be told in an omniscient 3rd person voice, regardless of what POV is used in the book itself. You should ideally have a few versions of your synopsis that are varying lengths (and level of detail). Some agents want a 1-2 page synopsis, others want a 5-page synopsis and others want a 10-20 page synopsis (though that's the least common). Have the different length versions done and ready to go before you query, because an agent who wants to see your work could ask for one and you'll want to be able to send it right away.

Read some of the other synopses on this thread to get yourself some idea of what they should read like. Also go to the blog side of this forum---Nathan has written blog posts about writing a good synopsis. Search for synopsis in the blog search engine. There are also several helpful articles online. Google. Just make sure you read articles from the last few years as some small rules have changed in the not too distant past.

When they're written, post them here for feedback. Good luck.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

arvales12

Post by arvales12 » July 2nd, 2012, 1:36 pm

Okay Thanks! I'll do it after my week break, and after school work is done...

Thanks for the tips... :D

mandilynnWRITES

Post by mandilynnWRITES » July 17th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Not sure if you still need the tips for the synopsis, but here's a great blog I found: http://www.bethanderson-hotclue.com/wor ... -synopsis/

I used it to make an AWESOME (in my opinion) synopsis for my book. Also, I made my own video explaining it :)