Plot outline

Ugh. You got stuck writing a synopsis. Help is on the way.
D.T.Roberts

Plot outline

Post by D.T.Roberts » October 21st, 2010, 2:18 pm

I have scrapped the original WIP and started fresh with a new perspective. Here is the new plot outline, Sans Finis.
Let me know what you think.

Plot outline

After the death of his wife, Alex Mendez has raised his daughter, who is now 16, alone. His job, as a violent crimes detective, has kept him from being involved in many important milestones in her life. Their relationship is already on shaky ground. Now a new case threatens to tear them apart. A serial rapist is active in Cypress Village and the victims are among the town’s most affluent people. Alex is pressured by his superiors to break the case quickly, and by his daughter to be a more involved father. As their relationship becomes more stressed, Alex must work through his feelings of guilt over his wife’s death and his daughter’s feelings of abandonment, to find the trail of the rapist.
Alex’s guilt bubbles to the surface and is manifest through the appearance of his dead wife who chastises him for his parenting skills, increasing his guilt and self doubt.
Meanwhile Deputy District Attorney, Rachel Grimes , who was the best friend of Alex’s wife, is working a case involving the theft of confidential financial files from a local luxury car dealership.
Janet Freeman, a nurse with a dark past, is a sexual assault nurse examiner who has collected evidence from the rape victims. Matching DNA is found in three victims, three victims who also happen to be on the list of files stolen from the dealership. When Alex realizes the two cases are connected, he and Rachel must work together. DNA samples are taken from dealership employees.
When Alex’s daughter is taken to the hospital with an ankle injury, she is befriended by her nurse, Janet Freeman. As the case progresses, Alex realizes that in his absence, his daughter has been spending more and more time with Janet. Knowing her past, he has a very uneasy feeling.
A DNA match is made with Michael Dupree, a service coordinator for the dealership. After his arrest, Michael is shot and killed during an escape attempt. Forensics then discovers discrepencies in the evidence collected from the rape victims. It appears to have been planted. Was Michael being framed? If so, why, and by who?
When a background check on the dead suspect reveals a relationship with Janet Freeman it only creates more questions. Was she planting his semen into the evidence kits? Alex brings Janet in for questioning, but with no evidence to arrest her, he is forced to let her go.
Now, with his new prime suspect free, but feeling cornered, his daughter goes missing. Alex must risk everything, including his life, in a race against time to find her.
It has been said that writing comes more easily if you have something to say.

allegedauthor

Re: Plot outline

Post by allegedauthor » January 5th, 2011, 9:01 pm

D.T.Roberts wrote:I have scrapped the original WIP and started fresh with a new perspective. Here is the new plot outline, Sans Finis.
Let me know what you think.

Plot outline

After the death of his wife, Alex Mendez has raised his daughter, who is now 16, alone. His job, as a violent crimes detective, has kept him from being involved in many important milestones in her life. Their relationship is already on shaky ground. Now a new case threatens to tear them apart. A serial rapist is active in Cypress Village and the victims are among the town’s most affluent people. Alex is pressured by his superiors to break the case quickly, and by his daughter to be a more involved father. As their relationship becomes more stressed, Alex must work through his feelings of guilt over his wife’s death and his daughter’s feelings of abandonment, to find the trail of the rapist.
Alex’s guilt bubbles to the surface and is manifest through the appearance of his dead wife who chastises him for his parenting skills, increasing his guilt and self doubt.
Meanwhile Deputy District Attorney, Rachel Grimes , who was the best friend of Alex’s wife, is working a case involving the theft of confidential financial files from a local luxury car dealership.
Janet Freeman, a nurse with a dark past, is a sexual assault nurse examiner who has collected evidence from the rape victims. Matching DNA is found in three victims, three victims who also happen to be on the list of files stolen from the dealership. When Alex realizes the two cases are connected, he and Rachel must work together. DNA samples are taken from dealership employees.
When Alex’s daughter is taken to the hospital with an ankle injury, she is befriended by her nurse, Janet Freeman. As the case progresses, Alex realizes that in his absence, his daughter has been spending more and more time with Janet. Knowing her past, he has a very uneasy feeling.
A DNA match is made with Michael Dupree, a service coordinator for the dealership. After his arrest, Michael is shot and killed during an escape attempt. Forensics then discovers discrepencies in the evidence collected from the rape victims. It appears to have been planted. Was Michael being framed? If so, why, and by who?
When a background check on the dead suspect reveals a relationship with Janet Freeman it only creates more questions. Was she planting his semen into the evidence kits? Alex brings Janet in for questioning, but with no evidence to arrest her, he is forced to let her go.
Now, with his new prime suspect free, but feeling cornered, his daughter goes missing. Alex must risk everything, including his life, in a race against time to find her.
I love the idea of a nurse framing someone thus causing his demise. And the fact that the daughter goes MIA makes me want to see this novel written. Mystery/suspense is a hard nut to crack but when you put a good twist on it and write it well, it sells. Good luck and great outline for the novel you want to write.

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » February 8th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Sounds like a pretty intense book. You really capture the mood. I'm impressed :)

hannah_dreamergirl_3

Post by hannah_dreamergirl_3 » March 7th, 2011, 1:36 pm

This does sound really interesting and dark.
I don't know whether this is a difference in British/American submissions, but when I have read submission guidelines they have said to talk about the complete story, is the ending a cliff-hanger or have you not told the entire story in your synopses?

Hannah
Check out my new blog at, http://hannahbullimore.wordpress.com

'Good writing is to evoke sensation in the reader, not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon'

ELDoctorow