100 Wishes - Romance novel Query - Take 1

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
bcomet

Re: 100 Wishes - Romance novel Query - Take 1

Post by bcomet » February 19th, 2010, 4:43 pm

I love this premise.
I would want you to try and distinguish it from the recent movie: P.S. I Love You ( and book: P.S. I Love You is Irish writer Cecelia Ahern's first novel published in 2004).
It has a lot of similar elements.
Many of the same ideas or themes that are out there get redone and done differently all the time.
We love them because they move us, make us feel, are archetypal, fun, and so on.
(We never get enough of Boy Meets Girl etc.)
But how is your novel different? This would come up for me as this movie is so recent.

Hope this is helpful.

Calliopenjo
Location: Overlooking tumbleweeds, while defending my home against the invading scorporions and roaches.

Post by Calliopenjo » February 19th, 2010, 8:57 pm

shadow wrote: Dear Super Agent,

Salina Edwards is devastated (Show Salina being devastated. Ex: Salina Edwards couldn't eat or sleep since her boyfriend of five years died. The reflection in the mirror revealed a gaunt woman with baggy eyes. Something to show her reaction.)when her boyfriend of five years, Nick, unexpectedly passes away from cancer. She is left with no more than a vast abyss of emptiness and a list that contains one hundred wishes Nick wants her to complete while she mourns.

Salina forges forward,(Keep word selection simple to avoid cliches) determined to complete the list for her love of Nick. Simple tasks come first,likeengraving their names into the trunk of a tree. The further she gets, the more complicated it becomes.Catching a fish with her bare hands, skinny dipping, and trying pot for the first time are only a few of the tasks that Salina takes on. On number eighty five 85the list takes her to France, where she meets Nick’s fraternal twin, Seth, and she is quickly charmed by his wild yet philosophical thoughts on life. (Show his wild yet philosophical thoughts on life.)She keeps her feelings towards Seth to herselfon lockdown,(Sounds cliche) not wanting to forget Nick or abandon her quest.

Together, Seth and Salina tackle the last few wishesbut are stumped by number one-hundred. Nick wants Seth to love Salina in the way that only he could. (This hasn't been shown so hard to see it or understand.) Will Salina allow herself to accept the emotional connection between her and Seth and put Nick's soul to rest?

100 wishes is an 85,000 word romance novel. I appreciate your time,

(my name and info)
Show more and tell less. It's the same as writing a story. The purpose is to draw the agent in, letting them imagine and feel something so they will want to read your story.

cjtrapp

Post by cjtrapp » February 20th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Sorry comment posted to wrong feed

jessicatudor

Post by jessicatudor » February 21st, 2010, 6:32 pm

If you don't plan on writing romance and only wrote this one as a challenge, why would you query it? You'd be expected to write more romances should you get published.
'The world is but canvas to our imaginations.' - Thoreau

shadow

Post by shadow » February 21st, 2010, 8:59 pm

Ok, yeah I have never seen P.S I love you or read it, but after I read it's synopsis I see what you guys mean. Actually it is quite different though the query makes it sound very alike. I am going to have to work on fixing that :). Jessica Tudor - If this genre goes well for me I will continiue to write within it, and of course I will never abandon my passion to fantasy.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage