Dragon

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
Serzen

Re: QUERY: THE LAST DRAGON

Post by Serzen » February 14th, 2010, 12:47 am

johydai wrote: When the all-powerful King Joseph of Embero informs Nadine, a headstrong seventeen-year-old girl, that she must marry the prince she loathes to satisfy the queen’s dying wish, she decides to flee. Would "to fulfill the last wish of his beloved Queen" make people feel better? I still don't see anything wrong with it as written.

Tool of prophecy, armed with the Divine Art of controlling water, Nadine is summoned by the White Witch Evangeline. Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by an aspiring soldier and his sister, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea to join the Rebellion.

As Nadine gets to know the dragon, she discovers that he is half-human and falls in love with him. She dreams of a future with the man behind the beast--if they can survive that long. Perhaps "gets to know her charge" or "becomes better acquainted with", "she discovers that dragon is only part of his identity; she falls in love with the human that shares the Last Dragon's form/shape/soul." Maybe. It's just a quick off the top of the head.

King Joseph's fear of death is rivaled in intensity only by Nadine's love for the dragon. He burns a path across the world of men to obtain the dragon’s golden vein--a filament in the dragon’s heart--that has the power to grant its consumer immortality.

Directed by his father, Prince Kellan is given the singular task of capturing the girl and the dragon she loves. But the prince has secrets and aspirations of his own: by day he may be his father’s right hand man, but by night he accompanies Nadine as the Last Dragon. How about "...in the form of the Last Dragon"?
I dunno. I've had to work pretty hard to come up with any changes that I could think to make. Maybe you can work with these ideas and see if something shakes loose. I wouldn't stress too hard, though. I still think it's pretty solid. I'm not an agent or a pro, but it reads well to me.

~Serzen
Il en est des livres comme du feu de nos foyers; on va prendre ce feu chez son voisin, on l’allume chez soi, on le communique à d’autres, et il appartient à tous. --Voltaire

johydai

Re: QUERY: THE LAST DRAGON

Post by johydai » February 15th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Latest Draft

When the all-powerful King Joseph of Embero informs Nadine that she must marry the ruthless prince to satisfy his queen’s dying wish, she decides to flee.

Tool of prophecy, armed with the Divine Art of controlling water, seventeen-year-old Nadine is summoned by the White Witch Evangeline. Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by an aspiring soldier and his sister, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea to join the Rebellion.

As Nadine gets better acquainted with the dragon, she discovers that he has a human soul and falls in love with him. She dreams of a future with the man behind the beast--if they can survive that long.

Nadine’s love for the dragon is rivaled in intensity only by King Joseph’s fear of death. He burns a path across the world of men to obtain the dragon’s golden vein--a filament in the dragon’s heart--that has the power to grant its consumer immortality.

Directed by his father, Prince Kellan is given the singular task of capturing the girl and the dragon she loves. But the prince has secrets and aspirations of his own: by day he may be his father’s right hand man, but by night he accompanies Nadine in the form of the Last Dragon.

Thank you for your help,
Johydai
Last edited by johydai on February 16th, 2010, 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Serzen

Re: QUERY: THE LAST DRAGON (YA-Fantasy)

Post by Serzen » February 15th, 2010, 5:34 pm

I like it. The only suggestion I can offer is to think about making the first line read ..."to satisfy his queen's dying wish..."

Other than that, I don't think I'd change a thing.

~Serzen
Il en est des livres comme du feu de nos foyers; on va prendre ce feu chez son voisin, on l’allume chez soi, on le communique à d’autres, et il appartient à tous. --Voltaire

jessiecoon

Post by jessiecoon » February 16th, 2010, 12:06 am

I think this version is really good. Good job of taking perfect strangers' advice and applying what works for you. I think you have a great idea and have good solid writing skills. I have been reading a of queries on this site and I have to say that yours now stands out. Plus, I have seen others not be able to take the advice and make the most of it. So kudos to you and I wish you well.

Krista G.

Post by Krista G. » February 16th, 2010, 2:08 am

johydai wrote:When the all-powerful King Joseph of Embero informs Nadine that she must marry the ruthless prince to satisfy his queen’s dying wish, she decides to flee.

Tool of prophecy, armed with the Divine Art of controlling water (You don't really need either of these phrases, since they don't play a role in the rest of your summary. Instead, you might go for a stronger bridge from the last paragraph, something like "During her flight" or "As she's running" or "She doesn't make it far before the White Witch Evangeline summons her to entrust her with a vital task," which, obviously, would actually replace this whole first sentence.), seventeen-year-old Nadine is summoned by the White Witch Evangeline. Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by an aspiring soldier and his sister, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea to join the Rebellion.

(The rest of these transitions, by the way, work pretty well.)

As Nadine gets better acquainted with the dragon, she discovers that he has a human soul and falls in love with him. She dreams of a future with the man behind the beast--if they can survive that long.

Nadine’s love for the dragon is rivaled in intensity only by King Joseph’s fear of death. He burns a path across the world of men to obtain the dragon’s golden vein--a filament in the dragon’s heart--that has the power to grant its consumer immortality.

Directed by his father, Prince Kellan is given the singular task of capturing the girl and the dragon she loves. But the prince has secrets and aspirations of his own: by day he may be his father’s right hand man, but by night he accompanies Nadine in the form of the Last Dragon.
Hi, Johydai! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. This query is much stronger than the one you originally posted. The first read like a list of events; this one paints a better picture of how each event leads to the next.

Also, I agree with your decision to leave that last sentence at the end of the query, using it as a cliffhanger. However, I still think the first sentence could be stronger, something like "Most little girls dream of becoming a princess, but Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph informs her she has been chosen to marry the ruthless prince of Embero, she does the only thing any self-respecting girl would do: She runs." That's really rough, of course, but coming up with something that highlights Nadine's unusual choice (that is, choosing not to become a princess) in a witty way might make a better first impression than the opening line you have now.
Author of THE REGENERATED MAN (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, Winter 2015)
Represented by Kate Schafer Testerman of kt literary
www.motherwrite.blogspot.com

johydai

Post by johydai » February 16th, 2010, 6:31 am

Query

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph informs her she has been chosen to marry the ruthless prince of Embero, she does the only thing any self-respecting girl would do: She runs.

During her flight, seventeen-year-old Nadine is summoned by the White Witch Evangeline. Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by an aspiring soldier and his sister, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea to join the Rebellion.

Thank you.
Last edited by johydai on February 16th, 2010, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

theWallflower

Post by theWallflower » February 16th, 2010, 10:06 am

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph informs her she has been chosen to marry the ruthless prince of Embero, she does the only thing any self-respecting girl would do: She runs.
-Why is Nadine not most girls? Give some characteristics.
-Is King Joseph her father?
-A little more charactization of Nadine
-A little more background of the kingdom. What are its characteristics?
During her flight, seventeen-year-old Nadine is summoned by the White Witch Evangeline. Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by an aspiring soldier and his sister, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea to join the Rebellion.
-Seventeen-year-old should be moved up to the first paragraph.
-What do you mean she is "summoned"? How was she located if she's on the run? Was she bumped into? Did an owl come by carrying a letter? Give specifics
-The Rebellion? What's the rebellion? If you need to give some backstory, go ahead and give it. I might say something like "The Rebellion is blah-blah-blah against the king, and they task Nadine with protecting their greatest treasure." Be sure and give the connections between Evangeline, the rebellion, the Last Dragon, and Nadine.
-Is the Last Dragon an actual dragon? It's capitalized like an item might be.
-Why does Nadine accept the responsibility of the Last Dragon? What's at stake? What's to lose and what's to gain?
-Name the soldier and sister, since they appear to be significant.
-I would by more "synopsis"-y here. The summary is too general. I want to see how Evangeline contacts Nadine, what motivates her to take the task.
-Take out the second sentence. It is not the story.
-I might use something different than "better acquainted"
-BTW, why does Joseph want Nadine to marry a man from a kingdom full of "bloodthirsty" armies?
-Take out the first sentence. It is not the story.
-I'd combine this with the above paragraph. This is the stakes, or at least some of them.
-Prince Kellan? Who? The fourth paragraph is not the time to introduce new characters.
-Who's his father?
-This doesn't make sense. It sounds like Kellan is in two places at once: pursuing Nadine and then he's right by her side.

I think you need to restructure your query from scratch. One of the bigger problems is that I don't get a sense of your voice in your query. It sounds like you're disinterested in your own novel. You gotta puff the story up. Bring in the drama, the excitement, the puffery. It's okay to get a little cheesy.

Another problem is that you only offer a summary of the story. I don't know the word count or genre, nor your other credits (though you may have not listed them here for the purposes of revision, in which case, ignore this comment)

But your summary leaves a lot to be desired. I think the story could be interesting as a fantasy romance, but right now it sounds so generic and general, I don't see any reason to pick it up. What makes your story different? And especially focus on the dragon. That's the most attention-getting piece.

I suggest to you a website: http://queryshark.blogspot.com/. Read all the entries on this page and familiarize yourself with query letter structure, along with what to do and not to do in a query.
Waterworld meets The Little Mermaid
MERM-8: Now available from Musa Publishing

johydai

Post by johydai » February 16th, 2010, 11:57 am

LATEST QUERY DRAFT

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but seventeen-year-old Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph announces at the annual Embers Ball that she has been chosen to marry his son Kellan, the ruthless and arrogant Prince of Embero, she does the one thing only she has dared to do so: She runs.

During her flight--with the highest reward ever being offered for her head--Nadine is summoned by the magical forces of the White Witch Evangeline. With the fate of the world at stake, Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by aspiring soldier Robert and his magically talented sister Annabel, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea.

As Nadine gets acquainted with the Dragon, she discovers that he has a human soul and falls in love with him. She dreams of a future with the man behind the beast--if they can survive that long. But her love for the dragon is rivaled in intensity by King Joseph’s fear of death. He burns a path across the world of men to obtain the dragon’s golden vein--a filament in the dragon’s heart--that has the power to grant its consumer immortality.

Directed by his father, Prince Kellan is dispatched with the singular task of capturing the girl and the dragon she loves. But the prince has secrets and aspirations of his own: by day he may be his father’s right hand man, but by night he meets up with Nadine in the form of the Last Dragon.

Thank you,
Johydai
Last edited by johydai on February 16th, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tameson

Post by tameson » February 16th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Much improved from prior drafts- my suggestions are all pretty minor. Hope they help.
johydai wrote:LATEST QUERY DRAFT

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but seventeen-year-old Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph announces at the annual Embers Ball that she has been chosen to marry his son Kellan, the ruthless and arrogant Prince of Embero, she does the only thing she has only dared to do so: She runs. Only used twice and wording is a bit awkward

During her flight--with the highest reward ever being offered for her head--Nadine is summoned by the magical forces of the White Witch Evangeline. With the fate of the world at stake, Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by aspiring soldier Robert and his magically talented sister Annabel, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea.

As Nadine gets acquainted with the Dragon, she discovers that he has a human soul and falls in love with him. She dreams of a future with the man behind the beast--if they can survive that long. But her love for the dragon is rivaled in intensity by King Joseph’s fear of death. He burns a path across the world of men to obtain the dragon’s golden vein--a filament in the dragon’s heart--that has the power to grant its consumer immortality.

Directed by his father, Prince Kellan is dispatched with the singular Not sure I like this word task of capturing the girl and the dragon she loves. But the prince has secrets and aspirations of his own: by day he may be his father’s right hand man, but by night he meets up with Nadine in the form of the Last Dragon. This feels a bit clunky- could just say he is Nadine's dragon lover or the dragon or something about betraying his father (for symmetry with the right hand man and also, the whole father killing son unknowingly is pretty cool and so, something more explicit about that might be nice)

Thank you,
Johydai

johydai

Post by johydai » February 16th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Query

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but seventeen-year-old Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph announces at the annual Embers Ball that she has been chosen to marry his son Kellan, the ruthless and arrogant Prince of Embero, she does the one thing only she has dared to do so: She runs.

Directed by his father, Prince Kellan is dispatched with the singular task of capturing the girl and the dragon she loves. But the prince has secrets and aspirations of his own: by day he may be his father’s right hand man, but by night he meets up with Nadine in the form of the Last Dragon.

Thank you,
Johydai
Last edited by johydai on February 17th, 2010, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lunetta22

Post by Lunetta22 » February 16th, 2010, 9:17 pm

Ooh I like the premise, I love fairy tales! I like the last query best. Good luck with this!

Sea

Post by Sea » February 16th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but seventeen-year-old Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph announces at the annual Embers Ball that she has been chosen to marry his son Kellan, the ruthless and arrogant Prince of Embero, she does the one thing only she has dared to do so: She runs. This last segement is a bit messy. Maybe something like 'she does the something only she has ever dared to do: she runs.' I'd also consider saying 'but... Nadine is not like most girls.' as that also reads a bit awkwardly. The one other thing to consider is, the opening line is a bit cliche. It sounds like you have a really interesting book here, but I'm not sure starting it with 'some girl has been randomly selected to be a princess even though she doesn't want to be' is the best opening line. That storyline has been used a lot.

Thank you,
Johydai
Aside from that, I think it's coming along really well. Sounds like a good book. Keep it up :)

Serzen

Post by Serzen » February 17th, 2010, 12:37 am

johydai wrote: Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but seventeen-year-old Nadine is not most girls. When King Joseph announces at the annual Embers Ball that she has been chosen to marry his son Kellan, the ruthless and arrogant Prince of Embero, she does the one thing only she has dared dares to do so:Sshe runs.

During her flight--with the highest reward ever being offered for her head Note 1--Nadine is summoned by the magical forces of the White Witch, Evangeline. With the fate of the world at stake, Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by aspiring soldier Robert and his magically talented sister Annabel, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea.

1 Not sure that the highest award ever thing does much for me. Particularly not the way it's worded now. If you want to keep that detail in place think about something along the lines of "In the course of her flight, with the greatest reward in living memory driving all to pursue her, Nadine is summoned..." or something along those line. I definitely prefer "in the course of" to "during", but it might be a matter of taste and style more than any actual correctness. I also wouldn't overload the dashes in such a short form.

Sorry, I'm tired and that little bit is the best I can offer for now. I'll take a fresh look again soon.

~Serzen

johydai

Post by johydai » February 17th, 2010, 8:39 am

query

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but seventeen-year-old Nadine is not like most girls. When King Joseph announces at the annual Embers Ball that she has been chosen to marry his son Kellan, the ruthless and arrogant Prince of Embero, to satisfy his queen’s dying wish, Nadine does the one thing only she dares to do so: she runs.

In the course of her flight, with the greatest reward in living memory driving all to pursue her, Nadine is summoned by the magical forces of the White Witch Evangeline. With the fate of the world at stake, Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by aspiring soldier Robert and his magically talented sister Annabel, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea.

Thank you,
Johydai
Last edited by johydai on February 19th, 2010, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoachMT

Post by CoachMT » February 17th, 2010, 10:56 am

Most girls dream of becoming a princess, but seventeen-year-old Nadine is not like most girls. When King Joseph announces at the annual Embers Ball that she has been chosen to marry his son Kellan, the ruthless and arrogant Prince of Embero, to satisfy his queen’s dying wish, too many clauses here for me and this doesn't seem to add anything necessary Nadine does the one thing only she dares to do so: she runs. Not sure why "so" is here

While being pursued by the entire kingdom, Nadine is summoned by the magical forces of the White Witch Evangeline. With the fate of the world at stake, Nadine reluctantly accepts the task of protecting the Rebellion’s greatest treasure, the Last Dragon, against the bloodthirsty armies of Embero. Aided by aspiring soldier Robert and his magically talented sister Annabel, Nadine begins her perilous journey across the world of Earthea.

Thank you,
Johydai
My two cents. Much improved from the first examples!