Query - Breaking the Rules (Chick Lit)

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
Josin

Re: Query - Breaking the Rules (Chick Lit)

Post by Josin » November 15th, 2010, 11:17 am

Down the well wrote:
karenbb wrote:
Josin wrote:
BREAKING THE RULESis my first novelNo one cares. It's also implied if you don't have a list of publishing credits, therefore, it's wasted space.and is complete at 87,000 words. Try something like" BREAKING THE RULES is an 87,000 women's fiction novel. <--- all the info you need, and much more succinct.
Don't say fiction novel--it will make you look like a total amateur.
Maybe in this case, with women's fiction being the genre, it might be less awkward to word it: BREAKING THE RULES is an 87,000 word work of women's fiction. ???
You're not saying Fiction - Novel. you're saying "Women's fiction" novel. It's not the same thing. One is amateurish, one is a legitimate genre.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » November 15th, 2010, 11:29 am

Josin wrote:
You're not saying Fiction - Novel. you're saying "Women's fiction" novel. It's not the same thing. One is amateurish, one is a legitimate genre.
Yes, it's a legitimate genre, but you still wind up with the words "fiction" and "novel" next to each other, and that can be avoided by several other manners of phrasing.

BREAKING THE RULES is women's fiction and is complete at 87,000 words.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Catenabi

Post by Catenabi » November 15th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Hi everyone! Thanks again for all your feedback. I've considered everything and rewrote my query (almost) completely. Thanks for your time and best of luck with all your projects!
Cheers! :)
Catherine