Guidelines for Posting Queries

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
Bryan Russell/Ink

Re: Guidelines for Posting Queries

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » January 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm

I'm guessing that's probably fine, unless Nathan designates it otherwise. You can drop me a line when the time comes and I'll delete the topic (assuming everything is kosher).

Ink
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

David Stricklen

Post by David Stricklen » January 20th, 2010, 11:34 am

Will do. I have hesitated to make query comments because I don't feel like I know what I am doing yet. As soon as I feel I have it somewhat mastered I am there.

bcomet

Post by bcomet » January 23rd, 2010, 3:47 pm

Ink wrote:I'm guessing that's probably fine, unless Nathan designates it otherwise. You can drop me a line when the time comes and I'll delete the topic (assuming everything is kosher).

Ink
I like that option as well. It would be helpful to have a learning curve and let it stand awhile, but then a writer could choose to determine when it had been out long enough and it would also help sort of *clear the board.*

It might also help to *clear the board* if after 30 days or some amount of time or after a post had gone dormant for a certain amount of time anyway, that the query then went into a query archives folder (where it could still be deleted by the writer if they felt it was time to take it down).

StayPositive

Re: Guidelines for Posting Queries or Excerpts From Your Work

Post by StayPositive » February 22nd, 2010, 7:05 am

One difficulty I have with many forums and blogs about writing is the lack of context.

While I understand that comments and advice can leap genres, it would help me enormously if most posts could be tagged with a genre in some way.

At the moment it is necessary to read just about every post before finding out the genre, except for the very helpful people who add YA to their post title.

My brain works best with the stepping stone analogy. Therefore I found it useful to read all the posts labelled YA in these forums. I soon gathered an understanding of the genre, the discussion points and the regular contributors to that genre.

In short, I would like to get to the meat of my current interest (contemporary and/or literary) and then dabble elsewhere later.

Quill

Post by Quill » March 21st, 2010, 1:08 pm

I notice many query thread originators edit their opening posts after they have been replied to. I think this is okay if the edit consists ONLY of a notice to see revised sample further down in the thread. Unfortunately instead many threads have had the original query removed and replaced by a revised one. Often several times. This is confusing and renders the chain of responses moot to a later reader who hopes to learn from following the progression.

I would like to see posters leave their opening posts intact, and add new versions IN SEQUENCE. Again, editing the opening post only to add an alert would be fine.

JaEvans

Post by JaEvans » March 26th, 2010, 6:10 pm

I am guilty as charged Quil.

On my post I did that with three things in mind.
1) I did not want people mistaking the first as the new one.
2) expedience so as not to waist people's time.
3) I know that the original is in the threads below with peoples comments so I thought people could read it there if they really wanted to.

If someone wants to see the original post without comments attached to it all they need to do is ask.

If doing this is confusing or bothersome I can not do it next time. I was just not sure what would be most helpful for people given we all have limited time.

I know your comment was not specifically geared towards me but I did do this very thing and thought I would just say why.

Thanks for your comment. I did not realize it was a problem for some people until now.

With that in mind. I sure could use some more comments on my query post. :)

Jason
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think" Horace Walpole

ganstream1

Post by ganstream1 » April 11th, 2010, 3:42 am

How about doing it something like this...
*First query*

---------------------------------------------

Link to revised query #2 (based on suggestions from post #a - post #c)

Link to revised query #3 (based on suggestions from post #d - post #f)

editing the first post with links to the newest revision of your query as you go.
Read my blog novel at: Aku-Stories

Quill

Post by Quill » April 11th, 2010, 10:44 am

I will reiterate that I hate it when the original posted and commented-upon query disappears and is replaced by a new one, often multiple times.

On the other hand I love it when there is an announcement put above the original posted query (and in the thread title) that a new query is posted down the line in the thread. Then I can follow the flow and am happy.

bigheadx

Post by bigheadx » April 12th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote: I think you might try and provide feedback on some of the queries that have already been posted. To post your own query, go into the Finding An Agent forum and click "New Topic," then paste into the post.
Forgive my obtuseness, Nathan, but this new user is a bit confused, specifically because he could not find the "Finding an Agent" forum -- not exactly the best start, right? Having read dozens of agent's requirements for a query, I'm interested in how others deal with "query letter He**" and also look forward to receiving feedback on my efforts before sending them in to the cold, cruel world. Could you (or someone else) point me at the right forum?
Thanks!

Quill

Post by Quill » April 12th, 2010, 8:55 pm

I believe you are confused because originally queries were posted for feedback in the "All Things Finding An Agent" forum, but later a new forum was created just for feedback on queries and other writing samples. Old-timers here can correct me if I'm wrong.

It is this one, then, "All Things Feedback," where you may post and we may shred your query (grin).

Welcome to the Forums.

bigheadx

Post by bigheadx » April 12th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Thank you! Checking the full forum and not just the Guidelines would have been a good idea. ;)

John

Quill wrote:I believe you are confused because originally queries were posted for feedback in the "All Things Finding An Agent" forum, but later a new forum was created just for feedback on queries and other writing samples. Old-timers here can correct me if I'm wrong.

It is this one, then, "All Things Feedback," where you may post and we may shred your query (grin).

Welcome to the Forums.

stardog911

Post by stardog911 » April 13th, 2010, 11:53 pm

sorry Quil!I never thought that it might be annoying for the original query to disappear. :(
I was just trying to save space. Henceforth I will post revised query below in the thread.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 24th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Pardon our dust as we create subcategories for the Feedback section. Things may be a little wonky until everything is created, moved, and sorted. Contact your friendly neighborhood Mod or Administrator if you experience any grave problems.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » April 24th, 2010, 2:55 pm

How cool that your Forum will have subcategories! This Forum is really growing. :)
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 24th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Soon we'll have a saloon, too. There's gold in them thar hills.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com