Guidelines for Posting Queries

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
Nathan Bransford

Guidelines for Posting Queries

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 7th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Hello! Thank you for considering posting your query or work for critique.

There are not any formal rules about posting queries. However, please consider the following:

If you want to post something for feedback, your odds of getting good feedback from the experts in the forums will be much greater if you have offered good feedback and have been a good participating forum citizen before you post your query.

In other words: Don't be a drive-by shooter, posting your work, getting feedback, and fleeing the scene. The golden rule applies: give feedback unto others as you would have them give feedback unto you.

Also, if you revise your query or work, please continue to post it in the original thread you started rather than starting an entirely new thread.

That is all.

BransfordGroupie

Re: Guidelines for Posting Queries

Post by BransfordGroupie » December 7th, 2009, 7:39 pm

This might sound like an obvious question, but I will ask anyway. If we post queries in these forums for feedback, can we still email the revised final version to you? Or would you have already formed your opinion prior to receiving the formal query. I am also assuming that if you see a query for feedback that really sparks your interest, then you may not necessarily wait for that formal email??? Just curious.
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

Bane of Anubis

Post by Bane of Anubis » December 7th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Nathan, props to you for all your efforts on the blog, and double props for the forum, and triple props for commenting on peeps queries. Once again, you've outdone yourself. Thanks.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - R.W. Emerson

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 7th, 2009, 8:20 pm

BransfordGroupie wrote:This might sound like an obvious question, but I will ask anyway. If we post queries in these forums for feedback, can we still email the revised final version to you? Or would you have already formed your opinion prior to receiving the formal query. I am also assuming that if you see a query for feedback that really sparks your interest, then you may not necessarily wait for that formal email??? Just curious.
Definitely still e-mail me the final version. That's when I know it's ready to be considered.

MosesSiregar

Post by MosesSiregar » December 7th, 2009, 8:49 pm

This could be a good topic for an entire subforum on here. Otherwise, I think "All Things Publishing" is about to become "All Queries" :D
Passion for the Writing Life Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

Find my work at: Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | GoodReads

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 7th, 2009, 8:52 pm

MosesSiregar wrote:This could be a good topic for an entire subforum on here. Otherwise, I think "All Things Publishing" is about to become "All Queries" :D
Yeah, if things start to get unwieldy here I might do that. For now I'll see how it works here.

MosesSiregar

Post by MosesSiregar » December 7th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:
MosesSiregar wrote:This could be a good topic for an entire subforum on here. Otherwise, I think "All Things Publishing" is about to become "All Queries" :D
Yeah, if things start to get unwieldy here I might do that. For now I'll see how it works here.
Nice, I like how the forum captures both quotes above.

Another consideration then might be whether you want to have more queries posted on the forum, or not. Making a subforum for queries would probably encourage more. It could be become a very, very popular feature if it's emphasized and encouraged--which you may or may not want to see.
Passion for the Writing Life Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

Find my work at: Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | GoodReads

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 7th, 2009, 9:16 pm

MosesSiregar wrote:
Nathan Bransford wrote:
Nice, I like how the forum captures both quotes above.

Another consideration then might be whether you want to have more queries posted on the forum, or not. Making a subforum for queries would probably encourage more. It could be become a very, very popular feature if it's emphasized and encouraged--which you may or may not want to see.
I'd hate for queries to overwhelm the board, so this might keep them somewhat hidden. What I might do though is create a "finding an agent" forum that could be a catchall. But I'm still undecided.

ElisabethMoore

Post by ElisabethMoore » December 7th, 2009, 9:49 pm

May I suggest also pointing people to the QueryShark (http://queryshark.blogspot.com/) for some educational reading before writing and posting queries here? I already felt the similarity in comments made repeatedly there to what is presently being said in query crit posts here.

Bane of Anubis

Post by Bane of Anubis » December 8th, 2009, 12:56 am

I'd hate for queries to overwhelm the board, so this might keep them somewhat hidden. What I might do though is create a "finding an agent" forum that could be a catchall. But I'm still undecided.
Yeah, you're gonna turn into AbsoluteWrite before too long here... Hope Sean built in some AdSense ;)
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - R.W. Emerson

gilesth

Post by gilesth » December 8th, 2009, 8:46 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:Hello! Thank you for considering posting your query for critique.
If you want to post a query for feedback, your odds of getting good feedback from the experts in the forums will be much greater if you have offered good feedback and have been a good participating forum citizen before you post your query.
That would be easier if I could get to the posts before everyone else does :) Since I'm new to the query letter thing, my critiques pretty much echo what the other five to ten other members of the forums have already said...lol. I'll be as helpful as possible, though! That's the best part about writing communities: you get to help other writer :D

Ayanna

Post by Ayanna » December 9th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Nathan,

I am new to forums, and I must admit, I find them a little confusing. Per the guidelines, individuals who wish to submit their query for review, should participate in the forum and offer good feedback.

Is participation limited to this thread, or do comments/feedback to other threads in this forum count? Additionally, where do I post my query? Do I cut and paste it into the text box, or provide a link to a page I have created for literary agents?

I look forward to your response.

Be well,
Ayanna Nahmias
Ayanna Nahmias

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 9th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Ayanna wrote:Nathan,

I am new to forums, and I must admit, I find them a little confusing. Per the guidelines, individuals who wish to submit their query for review, should participate in the forum and offer good feedback.

Is participation limited to this thread, or do comments/feedback to other threads in this forum count? Additionally, where do I post my query? Do I cut and paste it into the text box, or provide a link to a page I have created for literary agents?

I look forward to your response.

Be well,
Ayanna Nahmias
I think you might try and provide feedback on some of the queries that have already been posted. To post your own query, go into the Finding An Agent forum and click "New Topic," then paste into the post.

Ayanna

Post by Ayanna » December 9th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Nathan,

Thank you for the response. I will do as you have directed.

Be well,
Ayanna Nahmias

Holly

Post by Holly » January 9th, 2010, 7:31 am

Question: if I post a query letter on the forum, can I pull it in a few days (not just edit out my post, but delete the whole topic)? Or is it on here for eternity?