Guidelines for Posting Queries

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
John Dillon

Re: Guidelines for Posting Queries

Post by John Dillon » July 22nd, 2010, 1:01 pm

I'm new around here and I'm still getting my sea legs.

I've scanned a few queries in here and none of the ones I've seen include a biographical paragraph. Is that because, (1) here in the Bransford forums, it's understood that forum users redact/omit bio paragraphs for privacy considerations or (2) because the authors of the queries I happen to have viewed fail to include bio paragraphs in their draft queries?

I ask for two reasons: (1) I don't want to point the omission out to authors if they've made a conscious decision not to include bios here; and (2) I don't want to include a bio paragraph in any draft query I may post on the boards if it's not appropriate.

Thanks,

/s new guy.

Quill

Post by Quill » July 22nd, 2010, 4:03 pm

Depends on what you mean by bio. If you mean pertinent writing credits, you will see those on queries here where an writer has them. If you mean general education, place of residence, or interests, these are not necessary to include in a fiction query. Sometimes it is beneficial to include expertise or experience, but generally not (in a fiction query). Does this answer your questions?

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 23rd, 2010, 3:43 pm

Also, a lot of people aren't too worried about the basic exposition of a bio, and really only want help on the synopsis part of the query. They just cut to the chase and post up the part they want critiqued.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

dvmcollymore

Post by dvmcollymore » August 21st, 2010, 6:36 pm

I AM A MERMAID OUT OF WATER FOR THE FIRST TIME WONDERING IF I CAN ALSO FLY
I HAVE A FISH TAIL AND BIRD WINGS! I KNOW MY FINS, I MUST TEST MY WINGS.
LOOKING FORWARD TO SUBMIT MY QUERY.

THANKS FOR READING,
DENISE COLLYMORE

chris13

Post by chris13 » August 28th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Help, can't find the app for delete....am I missing a box?

Never mind, got it, duh. The "s" box.
Last edited by chris13 on August 29th, 2010, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quill

Post by Quill » August 28th, 2010, 6:15 pm

There's an "X" next to "edit" in your post.

That's if you mean to delete a post you just wrote.

If anyone adds a post to the thread, the X will disappear, and you can no longer remove the entire post.

lhowell

Post by lhowell » June 3rd, 2011, 12:25 pm

Thank you for all that you offer to writers.

dantheman21686

Post by dantheman21686 » July 12th, 2012, 9:42 am

Hey guys, here's my query letter. I'm a new member. My book is written, please let me know what you think:

Dan Bilodeau July xx, 2012
dbil@verizon.net
302-229-1655

When Dalziel, a young farmer in a sleepy rural town, is faced with personal tragedy at the hands of his nation’s oppressors, he must decide whether to flee or face both them and his destiny.
The land of Ibernia was once a peaceful and magic-filled country, but for more than 150 years the Ibernians have been conquered by the greedy Andal Empire. A rebellion has begun, led by a group of magic-wielding druids. Dalziel, a simple farmer, stumbles upon a magical stone that has been lost for 1,000 years. He soon finds himself enmeshed in the Ibernian-Andal conflict when his brother is brutally murdered before his eyes. As he flees for his life, he discovers that he is a Seraph, a powerful warrior from Ibernian legend. As he struggles to protect both his friends and himself, Dalziel must deal with his guilt over his brother’s death. When he links up with the Ibernian rebels, he must face a choice: to fight the Andals as a man, or to harness his true potential and learn what it really means to be a Seraph.
Complete at almost 69,000 words, War of the Seraphs: Ascension is a fantasy novel for young adults. It will be the first book in a trilogy.
I have a B.A. in both History and Communications. I currently write for Delaware Today Magazine. I have written several stories that have been published both in our magazine and on our website.
I’d like to thank you for your time and consideration. My full manuscript is available upon request.

danielgrant007

Post by danielgrant007 » July 29th, 2020, 9:30 am

Will do. I have hesitated to make query comments because I don't feel like I know what I am doing yet. As soon as I feel I have it somewhat mastered I am there.

nicholosonjack

Post by nicholosonjack » September 8th, 2020, 3:37 pm

In other words: Don't be a drive-by shooter, posting your work, getting feedback, and fleeing the scene. The golden rule applies: give feedback unto others as you would have them give feedback unto you.

Also, if you revise your query or work, please continue to post it in the original thread you started rather than starting an entirely new thread.