Feedback question for Nathan and others

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
Rashda

Feedback question for Nathan and others

Post by Rashda » July 26th, 2010, 1:13 pm

I'm a semi-regular blog reader and really enjoy your Page Critique Mondays. You've had some great examples up. However, one of your comments caught my attention. When you redlined Screaming Guppy's entry you mentioned how critique groups love opening hooks, but you often find them gimmicky.

A lot of writing advice stresses getting your manuscript critiqued and polished before submitting to agents, but if critique groups and agents prefer different things...what's a poor writer to do?

Meredith

Re: Feedback question for Nathan and others

Post by Meredith » July 26th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Trust your gut instincts. In the end, you are the writer and it's your story.
MeredithMansfield.WordPress.com

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » July 26th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Meredith wrote:Trust your gut instincts. In the end, you are the writer and it's your story.

I disagree. I don't think you should trust your gut instincts. Nor is it your story in the end.

Just kidding. I completely agree with Meredith. Don't allow other voices to become so loud that your work becomes someone else's. You will never please everyone, so please yourself and hope that what pleases you pleases a few others as well. This rings particularly true if you get conflicting responses to your work.

That advice is worth exactly how much you paid for it.

Kind regards,

JD

Rashda

Post by Rashda » July 27th, 2010, 11:30 am

Good points. Thanks M & JD!

EvelynEhrlich

Post by EvelynEhrlich » July 28th, 2010, 1:06 am

Have you read Donald Maass' Writing the Breakout Novel? He discusses what he calls the "novice grabber scene," which opens with big action (perhaps like the "hook" you refer to). The problem is the reader doesn't know the character yet, so there is little sympathy for MC. Instead, he recommends that writers first establish a high level of sympathy through knowledge of the MC and personalized details. This doesn't mean a boring opening and lots of backstory, however. I think it just means that as you write your opening, you shouldn't neglect details about MC in your attempt to hook the reader with action.

This syncs up with Nathan's page critique on 7/12, in which he said "I like this especially: it takes its time and lets the setting unfold. It doesn't try to be overly shocking or clever or try to pull the rug out from under us. It's just a well-written, confident opening. And that is perfectly fine." The excerpt did a great job of setting the scene and letting us get to know the MC, all while including enough tension to leave us wanting more.

Rashda

Post by Rashda » July 28th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Hi Evelyn,

That's an excellent point. I'm currently reading DM's Fire in Fiction, but I'm going to have to follow that with the "Breakout Novel" one. The guy is such fount of knowledge! :)