Looking for opinions on my query!

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
Code

Looking for opinions on my query!

Post by Code » December 28th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Dear Agent,

My novel, As We Fall, is a dystopian fiction that inject elements of dark fantasy (à la George R. R. Martin) into the science-fiction genre. It espouses a progressive take on international relations, while harkening back to both politics and the hardships of living in third-world societies, using the concept of ‘cargo-cults’ to glue it together. This manifests in the form of oppression, administered by the dominant “Chosen” people, identifying as “Angels”. Within this universe, there are two major classes. The first, as mentioned, are demigods whose ancestors escaped to Mars 200 years before the story unfolds. With the intent to both harvest stem cells and improve genetic variance, they have returned to Earth, with the intent of increasing their DNA bank. The second major group is colloquially referred to as “savages”: survivors of the old-world catastrophe. There are nine remaining nations, initially unconnected, and each with their own “prophet”- who, in reality, is a high-ranking Angel. My story concerns the plight of both savages, Angels, Cherubs (Angels-to-be), as well as A.I. perspectives. As We Fall is complete at 105,000 words.

Within my work, there are a number of scenes depicting bloodshed, arbitrary sacrifice, and pointed heroes. Essentially, there are no true “heroes”; nearly every character is clouded with darkness, and often are punished for making the altruistic decision. Whenever a character shows no signs of inner turmoil, they suffer until they become indiscernible from the others, whether that precludes a child suffering third-degree burns, or another, crippled for his curiosity. For this reason, I believe fans of the “grimdark”, dystopian, fantasy, and science-fiction genre will find a home in my work.

As I will soon graduate from Redacted University, I hope to do so with a published book in hand. I’d love to work with someone with a keen interest in worldbuilding, innovative characters and powerful narrative voices. If this sounds like a good fit, I’d love to hear back from you.

Kind regards,