Have you ever gotten tired of reading your own novel?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
oldhousejunkie

Re: Have you ever gotten tired of reading your own novel?

Post by oldhousejunkie » February 16th, 2011, 2:35 pm

wordranger wrote:
oldhousejunkie wrote:And that's why I'm interested in hiring someone to edit for typos, etc because the idea of doing that on my own makes me want to pull my hair out. And I wouldn't look good bald.
Don't hire someone... Find a really good beta reader. Mine point out stupid stuff all the time. One of my betas does nothing by copy-edit for me, and he's great at it. In return, I give him a really honest evaluation of his manuscript, which is what he is looking for. Find yourself a teammate! (And save some hair while you're at it.)
Oh, I would love to find a good beta reader. But it has been hard--there are a lot of folks who are not interested in reading historical fiction. And those that are, I'm not very comfortable with. I think it's because guys are usually the ones who respond to my "ads." My book is not a bodice ripper by any stretch of the imagination but it's got a healthy dose of romance, and putting that before a guy's eyes puts me off a bit. I know I'm being silly, but I just can't get past it. :-(

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » February 16th, 2011, 3:53 pm

oldhousejunkie wrote:Oh, I would love to find a good beta reader. But it has been hard--there are a lot of folks who are not interested in reading historical fiction.
The problem with that is because a lot of people list their fiction as 'historical' when it really isn't. Just because it's set in the past doesn't make it historical in my mind. You need a healthy dose of historical information that has been accurately researched, and I don't just mean through wikipedia and the internet. Books. Lots of books.

So 'historical fiction' is an eye-rolling sort of genre. It also makes me, personally, think of 'bonnet books'. [gag]
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Margo

Post by Margo » February 16th, 2011, 4:11 pm

oldhousejunkie wrote:Oh, I would love to find a good beta reader. But it has been hard--there are a lot of folks who are not interested in reading historical fiction. And those that are, I'm not very comfortable with. I think it's because guys are usually the ones who respond to my "ads." My book is not a bodice ripper by any stretch of the imagination but it's got a healthy dose of romance, and putting that before a guy's eyes puts me off a bit. I know I'm being silly, but I just can't get past it. :-(
It can definitely be hard, not just to find a beta but to find the right beta. Maybe you should play down the fact that it's not a bodice ripper. :) I'd volunteer but I promised myself the one I just finished would be my one and only beta project of 2011.

On an up note, the writer is super-pleased with the feedback, and I'm hoping to see it published and get a signed copy out of her.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

bkloss

Post by bkloss » February 18th, 2011, 9:32 pm

I know that feeling! And it LIES!!

Seriously though, every time I've felt that way (which has happened a number of times), I have also said to myself: "I don't know what else to do to it." (Big mistake). And then I take a few months off, read some books, write some other stuff, brainstorm other ideas. Completely get my head out of it. Then when I go back to it...I cringe! The only thing that makes me happy is to revise it.

I sincerely hope that changes someday. Perhaps it'll mean I'm done....

Best of luck to you with your series! Remember to stay excited about it. If you're not, it'll most likely come through in your writing.

paulajewelry

Post by paulajewelry » February 19th, 2011, 12:08 am

First, don't revise your ms more than three times. You'll develop blinders to problems if you revise too many times in a row. Take a break and write something new. During your hiatus, think of ways you can cut your ms by ten percent (Stephen King tip) and jot your ideas down but don't look at the ms. Renew your relationship after a couple of months separation (four months if you can) with new eyes (if you can take yourself away from your new project). I bounce back and forth between two works to keep inspired and let my works breathe. Those two works are usually different genres and voice--one light and funny, the other introspectively serious--while reading books similar to the tones in which I'm writing. When I return to a work, I usually can't wait to cut/revise again. Working on two different genres also gives me a variety of novels to pitch to agents with different preferences.

bkloss

Post by bkloss » February 19th, 2011, 12:12 am

Hey paulajewelry--I like your plan of attack. I may try that between hiatus'. Great advice!

eaks0685

Post by eaks0685 » March 21st, 2011, 12:27 am

'big pile of suck' seems harsh, but that is why I personally do not reread or edit while I am writing, because I tend to want to hit delete without having some time to step away. For me, I actually go into the writing process of a book with a set number of words, and I write the first draft and try to stay within 5,000 above or below my original limit. I am working to finish a series now, so each book has a word limit based on where it is in the series and what can be possible in later books after an audience is(hopefully) developed. I am strange with numbers in a way, so I actually reread/edit by certain numerical ideas: one read a sweep of articles, the next read a sweep of overused words, the next sweep syntax(try not to have too many sentences with the same structure too close unless it is intended), grammar, spelling, and finally after the all the mechanics sweeps, I go and do the plot and actual story telling issues and then repeat the process until my original word limit is reached. For me, if I can divorce the emotion from the editing process, then it makes it easier for me to edit(I usually do it by myself with some help from my family). I read some earlier posts about BETA(I think) readers and do not know much about that process, but would love info on how to go about getting others involved in the editing process. I look at things, writing or otherwise, and if I can go through and develop a formula(I seriously have gone though word by word and developed 'grammar/syntax/WC equations' because emotion during my reread makes me want to delete everything.) To answer the question, I do not get tired of reading my material, because I think I only really read it once, and that is when I write it, the rest is supposed to take the process of editing away from the 'reading' so I do not allow my fluctuations in mood to outweigh a sort of logical process. Thank you for allowing me to get involved in this discussion,and I apologize for coming in so late.

wordranger

Post by wordranger » March 21st, 2011, 6:55 pm

Welcome, Eaks

You should look in the forums for the section about finding beta partners if you are interested, but only if you think your story is somewhat complete. If you are still writing, you should wait until you are pretty much done, unless you find someone who likes to read that way. All the betas I've done are completed works. (a casual change of heart and re-write along the way is fine)

A beta partner is kind of like a writing best friend, as long as you are lucky enough to find a good one. You exchange chapters with each other, and critique/edit each other’s word. It's fun, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than hiring someone. You have to be ready to put into it what you want to get out of it, though. No one is going to give you an in-depth reading if you are not doing the same in return.

Good luck, and happy writing!
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/