If I include short quotes from movies/songs without permission in my book, is that a copyright violation?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
JeffZ

If I include short quotes from movies/songs without permission in my book, is that a copyright violation?

Post by JeffZ » October 24th, 2016, 3:57 am

In my book, if I include a few short quotes from a movie/song/other book or other source and if I attribute the source and author but don't get advance permission to use the quote, what (if any) are the copyright implications?

For example, is there a minimum length of a quote that can be used without requiring permission from the author as long as the author and source are attributed?

AnimaDictio

Re: If I include short quotes from movies/songs without permission in my book, is that a copyright violation?

Post by AnimaDictio » May 24th, 2017, 8:50 am

This is a legal question. You need a copyright lawyer. Maybe Avvo.com?

However, I believe that it's up to the owner of that content. Some won't care. Others will cause you a world of hurt. There is such a thing as Fair Use exceptions. You should Google the phrase and study the exceptions.

hauntedsouls

Re: If I include short quotes from movies/songs without permission in my book, is that a copyright violation?

Post by hauntedsouls » June 28th, 2017, 4:02 pm

In the U.S. you go to the American Society of Singers, Songwriters and Composers (I think that's the titled)
In Canada, you go to SOCAN.