8. Equilibrium
7. V for Vendetta
6. Gladiator
5. Underworld
4. Batman Begins
3. Pirates of Caribbean
2. The Matrix
1. Stardust

I'm counting first movies as the whole series in the case of series.
Last edited by MattLarkin on March 20th, 2012, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Rachel Ventura

Re: All time Favorite movies

Post by Rachel Ventura » January 16th, 2012, 8:58 pm

All-time favorites in general, or all-time favorites adapted from books, or all-time favorite type of movies...?

I'll go with the second category for now. Or rather, let an expert handle it. :)

[John Cusack's voice] "Top Five Movies Adapted from Books. Individual titles, rather than series... and in no particular order. Reviewing the film, not the book, since each is a different medium... and should stand on its own." 8-)

5) To Kill a Mockingbird. "Gregory Peck unmissable as Atticus Finch in the adaptation of Harper Lee's signature work and sole novel. Plus, it's got a bird in the title, and a guy named Finch played by a guy named Peck." :lol: "Peck your heart out, Twitter." :mrgreen:

4) Less Than Zero. "Rob Downey in '87, a 23-year-old cokehead, showing his early depth by playing... a 23-year-old cokehead. Charlie Sheen mysteriously unavailable or passed over for the role. Seriously, though, it's like St. Elmo's Fire on ecstasy -- nothing more perfectly captures the signature '80s paradox of capitalist anarchy among its youngest revelers. Alternate title? Occupy Rehab." :roll:

3) 1984 and A Clockwork Orange. "Dystopian society before it became all the rage. Or reality? All those early Mac ads and Big Brother Google notwithstanding... Man, as if the '60s weren't a visual acid trip anyway, a little ultra-violent Kubrick is enough to get your head spinning. By the way, Malcolm McDowell, in his later years, just perfectly British and misanthropic enough to play O'Brien in a remake. Or Conan, if he could fake a good Ricky Gervais impression, what with the ultra-violent Beard-pocalypse and all." 8-)

2) "Any of the movies of those kids' books that adults aren't supposed to enjoy, because they're kids' books, but are really too vivid and realistic for kids. The Secret of NIMH is one -- sure, they're cute mice, but they're experimental animals at the National Institutes of Mental Health. They're secret weapons of the CIA! Weren't Pinky & The Brain part of this Manchurian Rodent program or something?" :lol:

1) High Fidelity. "For... obvious reasons." ;) "Besides -- I've read books like Love in the Time of Cholera and The Unbearable Lightness of Being. But if they ever made a book out of Evil Dead II, but I said I hadn't seen the first Evil Dead yet, then either I was going to see Evil Dead... or I'd be a cinematic idiot and a literary one too... But that word, yet, that means I'm not only going to see the movie, but also read the book. So there's still hope... yet." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gganate

Post by gganate » February 22nd, 2012, 9:18 am

Pulp Fiction - I love when a movie's dialogue is just good for its own sake, instead of serving to relentlessly advance the plot. So many iconic scenes, the music...sure, it might be copied and pasted from a dozen different sources, but Pulp Fiction is undeniably a great movie.

Predator - the perfect action movie. This one's on AMC about every other week and if I catch it, I usually have to finish it. Really two movies in one - the first part is a military shoot'em up in the jungle, the second part is a survivalist horror flick. Arnold gets lambasted for being a crummy actor, but he certainly has physical presence and charisma. Run, get to the choppa!

Blue Velvet - David Lynch's shining moment. Weird, dark, and sexy. Dennis Hopper is a madman. I love movies that utilize music well - I'm thinking of the creepy guy singing in the brothel.

Office Space - sure, it's a quiet little cult movie, but has any other film explored the drudgery of office life quite as well? Certainly, it's a forerunner to tv shows like the Office and Parks and Recreations. And once again, the gangsta rap soundtrack is killer.

Falen

Post by Falen » February 22nd, 2012, 3:12 pm

I'm a pretty huge fan of 28 days later, but i don't really know what would constitue my all time favorite movie. There's so many
"She said she cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful and life was so short." - Brian Andreas

me bloggy - http://www.falenformulatesfiction.blogspot.com

kabbu

Post by kabbu » February 26th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Magnolia
8 1/2
The Future
Brazil
The Deer Hunter

Quill

Post by Quill » February 28th, 2012, 11:05 pm

The Godfather

abc

Post by abc » March 6th, 2012, 10:30 am

Rushmore (Wes Anderson)
The Apartment (Billy Wilder)
Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick)
2001 (Kubrick)
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind (Spielberg)
The Piano (Jane Campion)
Splendor in the Grass (Kazan)

Martha M Moravec

Post by Martha M Moravec » March 13th, 2012, 12:50 pm

1. On the Waterfront
2. To Kill a Mockingbird
3. It's a Wonderful Life
4. Casablanca
5. The Godfather 1 and 2

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 17th, 2012, 10:55 pm

10. Jules and Jim
9. Rushmore
8. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
7. The Empire Strikes Back
6. The Up Series
5. Citizen Kane
4. The Godfather Part II
3. City of God
2. The Godfather
1. Casablanca

steelerdipwad

Post by steelerdipwad » March 19th, 2012, 8:30 am

Top ten:
1. The Blade Runner
2. The Godfather
3. Star Wars
4. Jurassic Park
5. The Joy Luck Club
6. Breakfast Club
7. The Outlaw Josey Wales
8. Brian's Song
9. The Day of the Jackal
10. Platoon

Mira

Post by Mira » March 20th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Top ten movies I am not embarrassed to admit (in no particular order)

1. Juno (the writing, it's the writing)
2. A Beautiful Mind
3. Schindler's List (thank you, Spielburg)
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
5. !2 Angry Men
6. The 6th Sense
7. Waitress
8. Sideways
9. Wizard of Oz
10. Some Like it Hot

Runners up: The Birdcage (so funny), Star Wars, The first Harry Potter, Michael Clayton, Big Chill, Akeelah and the Bee, Shall We Dance (Japanese version), Mr. Smith goes to Washington, National Velvet (the original), The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Fiddler on the Roof, Bee Season (flawed, but good), Young Frankenstein, Howl's moving castle, Spirited Away and Shawshank Redemption (haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it will be on this list.)

Top 10 Movies I don't usually admit:

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (with Gene Wilder)
4. Scrooge, the Musical (Albert Finney)
5. Mary Poppins
6. Spiderman 2
7. The Parent Trap (either one)
8. Wedding Crashers
9. Ghostbusters
10. The Devil wears Prada

And Raiders of the lost Ark. And Legally Blond. And I'd never admit this to anyone except you guys, but I love Pretty Woman. Yes, it's totally sexist and ridiculous, but it's so fun.

Mira

Post by Mira » March 24th, 2012, 3:57 pm

And Frost/Nixon. I forgot.

What? I like movies. :D

macklinvinger

Post by macklinvinger » June 26th, 2012, 2:39 am

This is my all time movies.
1. The Blade Runner
2. The Godfather
3. Star Wars
4. Jurassic Park
5. The Joy Luck Club
6. Breakfast Club
7. The Outlaw Josey Wales
8. Brian's Song
9. The Day of the Jackal
10. Platoon

writersink

Post by writersink » July 5th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Mira wrote: Top 10 Movies I don't usually admit:

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (with Gene Wilder)
4. Scrooge, the Musical (Albert Finney)
5. Mary Poppins
6. Spiderman 2
7. The Parent Trap (either one)
8. Wedding Crashers
9. Ghostbusters
10. The Devil wears Prada

And Raiders of the lost Ark. And Legally Blond. And I'd never admit this to anyone except you guys, but I love Pretty Woman. Yes, it's totally sexist and ridiculous, but it's so fun.
Sorry for coming so late to the party on this one.... but :lol: Mira! After reading this, maybe I'll give Beauty and the Beast a go. Plus, Willy Wonka and the Devil Wears Prada are such classics.

I'd say the Lord of the Rings (all three of them.) And (drum roll for the embarrassing) Mamma Mia! The first Pirates of the Caribbean, Stars Wars (the fourth one.) Oh, and Pride and Prejudice, the six part hour long BBC version. (Technically not a movie but aww well.) I'm sure I can think of more, but my mind has drawn a blank.

Shipple

Post by Shipple » September 8th, 2012, 10:19 am

1. Princess Bride
2. Blues Brothers
3. Bring it On (nope-no separate guilty pleasures list for me)
4. Hackers (I don't know why I love this movie so much, I just do.)
5. Pride & Prejudice (w Lawrence Olivier)
6. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
7. 12 Angry Men (w Henry Fonda)
8. Singing in the Rain
9. White Christmas
10. Philadelphia Story

I just wrote til I had 10, so the order (and some of the movies) may change, but that's a pretty good list for me.
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/