J.K. Rowling's new book - The Casual Vacancy

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Mira

J.K. Rowling's new book - The Casual Vacancy

Post by Mira » April 12th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Hey, J.K. Rowling's new book is going to be released in September.

It's an adult book - a darkly comic one about small town relationships. That makes sense to me. I saw alot of dark comedy in her Harry Potter books, and I could definitely see this type of theme in her portrayal of the Dursleys.

Here's the link to the Amazon blurb:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Casual-Vacanc ... 0316228532

The Kindle edition is 20 dollars! It will be interesting to see if Amazon reduces the price now that Hatchette has settled with the DOJ.

Are other people excited like I am? I think she's very perceptive and can't wait to see what she wrote. On the other hand, she's switching genres - should be interesting to read her voice from an adult perpective.

Beethovenfan

Re: J.K. Rowling's new book - The Casual Vacancy

Post by Beethovenfan » April 12th, 2012, 7:28 pm

I am looking forward to her book, if no other reason than to see if Harry Potter happened to be a fluke, or if she can do it again! Harry Potter was such a new idea at the time it first came out that sometimes I wonder if it was so popular because of its uniqueness. I'm not trying to suggest that Rowling isn't a good writer, because I think she is (not that my opinion really matters! :) ) I just wonder if Rowling can make the lightning strike again.

However, I also look forward to see what she can do from an adult perspective.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » April 14th, 2012, 3:22 am

Beethovenfan wrote:I am looking forward to her book, if no other reason than to see if Harry Potter happened to be a fluke
But Harry Potter most definitely wasn't a fluke, in either its popularity or writing style; people always seem to forget that she re-created the same level of magic seven times!

I'll definately pick this up (more out of interest in Rowling that the novel itself) but I am still shellshocked that the only thus-far named character in this novel is called Barry... :o

Mira

Post by Mira » April 16th, 2012, 5:06 pm

I agree she isn't a fluke. Since they are out on e-book, I've been purchasing and re-reading the series. They really are incredible. The world building, plotting, characterization, humor and drama are really just wonderful.

But I am very curious to see what she writes for adults in a non-magical world! :)

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » April 17th, 2012, 12:00 am

I'm going to be the dissenter and say that I thought the blurb sounded really boring. I'm really not interested at all.

CV

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » April 25th, 2012, 12:21 pm

CharleeVale wrote:I'm going to be the dissenter and say that I thought the blurb sounded really boring. I'm really not interested at all.

CV
Ditto, Charlee. I adore Harry Potter but have absolutely no interest in this new book. And really, $20 for an ebook seems a bit overpriced. (Not that I believe all ebooks should be .99 or anything, I'll happily pay $12 for a good ebook, but $20 is pushing it for me.)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

GaoYuQing

Post by GaoYuQing » May 11th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Honestly, the book sounds boring as heck. Perhaps partly because I don't tend to gravitate to ordinary fiction unless the premise seems really interesting, but nothing in the description hooks me in.

Mira

Post by Mira » May 13th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Ah, well, that's okay. All you dissenters shall see the light. I have faith.

I recently re-read the Harry Potter series, and my goodness she can write.

I think she could re-write the phone book, and I'd find it fascinating. :D
Last edited by Mira on May 14th, 2012, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 14th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I think it's the blurb. The blurb is terrible. Terrible. Terrible. I think the story is probably more interesting, but we wouldn't know because the blurb is just the worst.

I'm also kind of insulted by the $20 e-book. I don't want books to be .99 cents, but I do think there's a threshold after which I get a little offended. $12.99 is a good place I think. $15 would annoy me. $20 and I won't even consider it. Like I'm gullible enough to pay anything if Rowling wrote it. A hardback or paperback, sure, but not an e-book. There's a good chance I'd read it, but probably from my library.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mira

Post by Mira » May 14th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Sommer - I know. I'm sort of operating on faith because the blurb isn't that great.

In terms of the price, that's the publisher. Authors don't have any say in the price of their book. I think the publisher is trying to reduce e-book spending by pricing it as high as the hardcover. Or they just don't want to lose money on e-books, since it's being released at the same time as the hardcover.

I think this is shortsighted - they lose e-book sales. It's also terribly unfair to Rowling, since everyone will blame her.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 14th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Most of the time I'd say you're right, it's not Rowling's fault. However, Rowling has demenstrated extreme control over her e-book rights with Harry Potter. She still has them, the publisher doesn't, which is why she has complete control over how and where they are sold. I don't know this for sure or not, but I'm willing to bet she's maintained the e-book rights for her adult book as well considering her stance on the Harry Potter e-book market. Even if she doesn't hold absolute rights over her e-book sales, I bet she has a lot of control written into her contract over them. I've read her interviews about why she's handled Harry Potter the way she has in e-books and it doesn't seem likely her stance has changed much.

And even if it's not her decision to price them that way, then it's really a shame on the publisher's behalf too. It just seems so in your face, like they know people will pay it.

I'm usually not a conspiracy theorist when it comes to publishing, but man, that kind of pricing is really obnoxious.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mira

Post by Mira » May 14th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Well, I could be wrong, maybe Rowling is pulling the strings. But she priced her Harry Potter e-books, that she completely controlled, like you mentioned, at a very reasonable $7.99.

There is huge political stuff about e-book pricing right now. Publishers are really worried about the loss of income if they price e-books less than hardcovers. It sort of underlies the whole DOJ thing.

And I agree - it's way too overpriced.

Doug Pardee

Post by Doug Pardee » May 14th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Mira wrote:I think the publisher is trying to reduce e-book spending by pricing it as high as the hardcover.
The publisher is simply trying to make as much money as possible. A lot of people are going to buy the e-book at $20. Some will buy the hardcover instead. No real difference to the publisher; they make about the same amount. Maybe in the future they'll reduce the price, but I wouldn't count on it.

Hachette has been struggling since Stephenie Meyer ended the Twilight series, and this is a grab for the brass ring to stay in the good graces of their corporate overlord, Lagardère [any more clichéd metaphors I can mix in there?]. Hachette undoubtedly paid a monstrous advance for this book, and it's going to take quite a while to recover that expense.

Mira

Post by Mira » May 27th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Doug, I always love your information. What you are saying makes sense.

I still wonder at their strategy though. First, they are making people mad at Rowling, which won't benefit her future books.

Second, wouldn't they make more money if they priced it at 12.99? So many more people would buy it, I think it would reap a larger profit for them.

I still think there may be an agenda related to slowing down e-book purchasing.

writersink

Post by writersink » July 2nd, 2012, 8:53 am

I personally think they just want as much money as possible. They probably think because it is Rowling people will be willing to fork out more in the same way people will pay more for a pair of sunglasses with a well known name of a designer on the side. So yeah, I agree with Doug.