Pricing game and distribution

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Ryan

Pricing game and distribution

Post by Ryan » March 7th, 2012, 3:35 pm

It looks like I'm within a month of releasing the multimedia edition of my book. Been saying that for months now but that's publishing. Once I get it into iBooks that's when I plan on playing the whole pricing game. I know there are whole books written on the subject and it's been covered here--there--and everywhere but a new thread about what people have been doing would be helpful.

Also wondering what other distribution avenues people are taking besides Amazon and B&N. I already have a headache from all the different accounts I have set up.

My vet, dog wash place, chiropractor, and pet store have helped me sell about thirty paperbacks. HAH!

One more thing. Is there any way to see where the Kindle sales are coming from? A few overseas sales are popping up and I'm wondering where the hits are from. Apparently, I get only a 30% cut from sales outside the U.S.

Rock On DIY!

Cheers
Ryan
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

Mira

Re: Pricing game and distribution

Post by Mira » March 20th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I don't know the answers to any of this, but I do know they are out there! You've probably found them by now. :)

Good luck, Ryan! I hope it goes really well!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » March 21st, 2012, 7:37 pm

Thanks Mira.

With my book being a single book and no future book(s) anytime soon my approach will have to be a little different. I'd like to keep my price point between $3-4 so I can "share." Part of my marketing strategy once I get the multimedia version out there is to try and get pet organizations and possibly the Leukemia Society and Be The Match (National Marrow Donor Registry) to help push the book in exchange for partial profits. I walk around saying the line from Trading Places..."Here you go Moritmar....ONE DOLLAH!)

If I can keep just ONE DOLLAH from each sale and dish out the rest to good causes that have to do with themes in my book then that'd be uh...rad...awesome...waycool!

My sister happened to meet a person from the Board of Directors of PAWS so they are currently reviewing the book. Be The Match already has given me the go ahead to use their Logos and name as I see fit but I feel like I need to generate some sales on my own before I approach them again. Their outreach is pretty big. There are many local pet organizations that I want to start with. Anyways...just typing out loud because I was just working on my Spread the Word plan.

In regards to the pricing thing, I think it's about timing. When I go hard on the outreach then I may drop the price a little then sneak it back up in the weeks to come. Who knows...I've been trying to watch and learn from many on this forum.

The multimedia version is almost there and I'm soooooooooo stoked. A few screenshots here.... http://www.withoutrain.com/blog/a-littl ... ppearance/
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » March 24th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Wow, Ryan. Those screenshots are pretty cool. :D