Characters Who Should Have Died

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
writersink

Characters Who Should Have Died

Post by writersink » February 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Someone sent me this post: http://community.sparknotes.com/2012/02 ... uldve-died

It got me thinking. What fictional characters would you guys have liked to see dead (because, you know, it would have added something extra to the plot or something/ would have been more haunting/ you just good old fashioned did not like them?)

Quill

Re: Characters Who Should Have Died

Post by Quill » March 1st, 2012, 2:26 pm

I'll go with Eeyore, from Winnie the Pooh. I never did like him.

writersink

Post by writersink » March 3rd, 2012, 7:23 am

Ahh... yes, his dopiness is a great cause for annoyance. Imagine if they'd actually killed him off. We'd have distraught children everywhere! I can just imagine it now. Death by being buried under too much honey....

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » March 3rd, 2012, 9:41 am

I'm not going to lie, I was a little happy to see Katniss on the list. I was excited when the first book was told in present tense. I thought it'd be more powerful if she died. Also, the love triangle is the reason I have never read the last two books in the trilogy. As soon as it was confirmed in the end the book was ruined for me, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the rest of it.

writersink

Post by writersink » March 4th, 2012, 4:25 am

I'm not going to lie, I was a little happy to see Katniss on the list. I was excited when the first book was told in present tense. I thought it'd be more powerful if she died.
It would have been more powerful. I don't think I've ever seen a book written in the present tense where the MC died.
the love triangle is the reason I have never read the last two books in the trilogy. As soon as it was confirmed in the end the book was ruined for me, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the rest of it.
I'm not a fan of love triangles either: they really irritate me. The whole time I'm just like "gosh, can they not make a decision about who they love?" I still read all of them because there is a good storyline in there and Collins doesn't really focus all too much on it. It is a shame many YA authors feel the only way to reach a teenage audience is through a love triange, and it is a shame that most of the time their feeling is correct.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » March 4th, 2012, 11:01 am

Quill wrote:I'll go with Eeyore, from Winnie the Pooh. I never did like him.
:( I LOVE HIM! He's my favorite.

Also, I agree with writer. Compared to the amount of overblown Love V's (Not love triangles -- Don't even get me started) The one in the hunger games is extremely understated, and the stakes of the series are never truly anchored in her decision for one guy or the other.

CV

Cookie

Post by Cookie » March 4th, 2012, 12:30 pm

writersink wrote:
I'm not going to lie, I was a little happy to see Katniss on the list. I was excited when the first book was told in present tense. I thought it'd be more powerful if she died.
It would have been more powerful. I don't think I've ever seen a book written in the present tense where the MC died.
I have. It was pretty amazing.
moni12 wrote: the love triangle is the reason I have never read the last two books in the trilogy. As soon as it was confirmed in the end the book was ruined for me, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the rest of it.
writersink wrote:I'm not a fan of love triangles either: they really irritate me. The whole time I'm just like "gosh, can they not make a decision about who they love?" I still read all of them because there is a good storyline in there and Collins doesn't really focus all too much on it. It is a shame many YA authors feel the only way to reach a teenage audience is through a love triange, and it is a shame that most of the time their feeling is correct.
Love triangles. Blech.

Moni, I had that same feeling after reading the Hunger Games. I walked around the house saying "WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?" But, Writersink and Charleevale are right. Collins didn't make it the focus of the series. I kinda felt that Katniss kinda forgot about them most of the time. Well, in a romantic light.

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » March 4th, 2012, 1:30 pm

In that case, maybe sometime I'll give the rest of the series a try. Besides the love triangle, though, I didn't care for the ending. It seemed awkward and forced.