What pays your rent?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
guichizango

What pays your rent?

Post by guichizango » February 13th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum, and I've been reading a lot of your comments. I'm sure there are many of you who write enough that it can pay your rent, but I'm curious as to what the rest of you do for a day job. I'm a Registered Nurse and I work at a facility for Alzheimer's and Dementia. Basically, each day is different and the unexpected is normal. What about the rest of you?

Gypson

Re: What pays your rent?

Post by Gypson » February 13th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Right now I'm a peon in customer service, but I'm in school for Occupational Therapy. *fingers crossed* in a few years I'll have a "real" job!

My original plan was to do exactly what you do (RN working with Alzheimer's), but when I got my NAC I realized that rehab was what truly interested me. Plus, I get a bit squicked out by bodily fluids =P

Mira

Post by Mira » February 13th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Supervise a counseling staff in a substance abuse treatment center.

Interesting question, I'm looking forward to the answers. I wonder how many of us are 'caretakers'?

AMSchilling

Post by AMSchilling » February 14th, 2012, 1:03 am

Does taking care of computers count, Mira?

Yes, I am the Queen of the Geeks. AKA an IT Manager. I work in a cube. With beige carpet. And I have a badge thingy. Watch a rerun of "IT Crowd" on BBC America and you'll get my work life. Though in my defense, I'm NOT like the boss on that show. I do know the internet isn't a little black box with a blinking light. Sadly, since I'm not like her, I also know what the heck all those weird pieces and parts inside your laptop are. :D
-Amy

"Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open." - Stephen King

http://www.amschilling.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Schill ... 9869525150

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » February 14th, 2012, 11:10 am

Umm...my husband?

I don't have a day job, but I also don't make any money from my writing, either. I had a great job - my dream job - at the local library, but it turned out to be too hard on my joints. I had to quit four years ago, and I still miss it. One day I hope to properly earn a living again (long story behind that).

So what actually pays our mortgage is my husband's job as an accountant for the local university.

And to you caretakers - thank you! You have some of the hardest and most underappreciated jobs in the world. You guys are amazing to be able to put up with people at their worst like that, and I tip my hat to you.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » February 14th, 2012, 12:32 pm

My grown up job has me working as an admin assistant at a hospital. I assist a group of nurses who manage the hospital's administration side for nursing - policies, nursing conferences, guidelines, nursing awards, and all the other very random and awesome things we get to do. While I do live in a cubeville, I work with really awesome people dedicated to making the practice of nursing better and more empowered and I love that. I love being one of the many hands behind making people better. I'm a very tiny hand doing very tiny things, but I wouldn't trade my job in. Nurses are the most amazing superheroes I've ever met. I think if I worked full time as a writer I'd still work at my hospital. It's very satisfying.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » February 14th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Right now I'm just a student completing a major in Literature and a minor in Criminal Justice. In May I graduate and I have a seasonal job at Acadia Shop in Bar Harbor, ME. I'm seriously considering staying in Maine when that's done, but I don't know what I want to do. I think I could be very happy working in a book store the rest of my life. We'll see!

Besides being a student, I have worked off and on since I was 12 and cleaning houses with my mom. I've worked at a kennel, greenhouse, as a T.A. at the local elementary school and in the student center at my college (these last two were part of work study). Most recently I worked in the boot department at Wall Drug in Wall, SD.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » February 14th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Moni12 wrote:Right now I'm just a student completing a major in Literature and a minor in Criminal Justice. In May I graduate and I have a seasonal job at Acadia Shop in Bar Harbor, ME. I'm seriously considering staying in Maine when that's done, but I don't know what I want to do. I think I could be very happy working in a book store the rest of my life. We'll see!

Besides being a student, I have worked off and on since I was 12 and cleaning houses with my mom. I've worked at a kennel, greenhouse, as a T.A. at the local elementary school and in the student center at my college (these last two were part of work study). Most recently I worked in the boot department at Wall Drug in Wall, SD.
My parents honeymooned in Bar Harbor! They lived in Maine for years.

I'm a Graduate Assistant at my grad program. That and loans pay the bills right now.

CV

Claudie

Post by Claudie » February 14th, 2012, 3:30 pm

At the moment I also qualify as a peon in customer service. I'm a cashier at a grocery. This summer I should start working in a immunology research lab again, however, as part of my Master's degree. I am thankful to earn enough not to need loans to pay my bills. But then again, University is much cheaper here, and I'd need them in the US.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » February 15th, 2012, 1:44 am

I have a master of arts in teaching and am a licensed elementary school teacher, but right now I am working as a substitute teacher. Here in Oregon it's required that even substitutes have a teaching degree. I like being a sub because I make my own hours and can be home with my kids more often, get to go to their class parties and field trips, and I'm home most days when they get home from school.

What I make pays only a few bills so my husband pays for the majority of our expenses. One day I may consider working full time, but right now my priority is being available to my kids. So, while I'm home I try to write as much as I can. However, I must confess that the internet draws me away from that more than I should allow! :?
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

guichizango

Post by guichizango » February 15th, 2012, 11:45 am

Sommer Leigh wrote: I think if I worked full time as a writer I'd still work at my hospital. It's very satisfying.
I completely agree. And more than just being satisfied with my job (which I love) being around so many different people and in so many unique situations really fuels my creative juices. I can't count how many times I'm talking to a patient when I realize that whatever they said or some characteristic is exactly what I was missing in my writing. And with Dementia patients, you never know what they'll say.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » February 17th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Before my failed attempt at moving back to Boston, I was the publicist/tour assistant for an independent record label. Now I'm, ah, nothing.

Starchaser3000

Post by Starchaser3000 » February 19th, 2012, 12:06 am

I work in retail, but I'm looking for a better paying job of course.

Aimée

Post by Aimée » February 19th, 2012, 11:14 am

I'm in college, studying English Literature and planning on becoming a book editor. I currently work as a intern for a magazine that does book reviews, only one or two days a week, and I still live with my parents and do not make even close to enough money to move out. Hopefully my writing will start making me money, or I'll get more hours or a second part-time job because I really want to have the satisfaction of taking care of myself at this point in my life. One more year of school and my schedule will free up for writing and working! ...I also have an Associate's degree in Chemistry for some reason... Not sure if that's going to lead me anywhere.

jenna234

Post by jenna234 » February 21st, 2012, 2:04 pm

I'm a teller at a bank. It's probably close to a care giver job. I get to see people at thier worst and try to help them sort out the good and bad decisions that they made. Oh yes, and people get to yell at me. A lot. Another reason to hope that someday writing will pay the bills!