When to Query an agent

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
klbritt

When to Query an agent

Post by klbritt » February 3rd, 2012, 11:58 pm

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my question, but I wanted to see if there is a rule of thumb or an industry standard.

Anyway, my question is is it best to complete your novel or have a work in progress when querying an agent. For instance, you have a 40,000 word WIP that looks to be heading to the 100k area. Would you start querying at that point, or complete the novel then query...

Thanks!
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com

CharleeVale

Re: When to Query an agent

Post by CharleeVale » February 4th, 2012, 12:49 am

If you query with an incomplete manuscript it will be an automatic rejection.

Not only is it not finished, but it will only be in the first draft stage.

CV

klbritt

Post by klbritt » February 4th, 2012, 10:20 am

I was pretty sure that was the answer, but I just wanted to be sure, thanks!!
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com

Quill

Post by Quill » February 4th, 2012, 10:33 am

It's not too early to begin writing the query, though. Sometimes this can help focus the writing of the novel itself. And query writing can take weeks to get right, if not months. It's a drafting process like any other. You can post it here in the query forum for feedback.

And, of course, it's not too soon to start researching which agents you will submit your query to. This can help focus the query writing.

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » February 4th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Quill wrote:It's not too early to begin writing the query, though. Sometimes this can help focus the writing of the novel itself.
Absolutely. Your query forces your to focus on your main idea in a few sentences. If you can't do this, you may need to refocus the novel. You may also want an elevator pitch (chances are you're going to need to describe your story to someone in one or two sentences at some point, whether an editor or someone else.)
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Margo

Post by Margo » February 5th, 2012, 10:11 pm

It's also easier to write the query before the book because you won't have all the subplots and details packed into your head and trying to spill out onto the page. That's one of the biggest issues I've seen with queries, too much incidental crap.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Falen

Post by Falen » February 16th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Quill wrote:It's not too early to begin writing the query, though. Sometimes this can help focus the writing of the novel itself.
Definitely agree. I always write a rough query draft before i even start the novel draft. It helps me to keep certain themes in focus while drafting
"She said she cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful and life was so short." - Brian Andreas

me bloggy - http://www.falenformulatesfiction.blogspot.com

macklinvinger

Post by macklinvinger » July 18th, 2012, 5:18 am

yes this is true .i like it