The Bransforumfest Writing Retreat

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Sommer Leigh

The Bransforumfest Writing Retreat

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 12th, 2011, 11:22 am

If you've been keeping up with the workshop brainstorming thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4104) you know that the 2012 Bransforumfest is quickly approaching. We have a lot of great interest, but we're starting to need some hard numbers and we need to make some decisions in the next couple of weeks.

As of 12/12/11, we are looking at 7 confirmed in attendance with a couple of husbands/boyfriends tagging along for the ride. We've picked city (Las Vegas) and a hotel (Luxor) and the dates (arrive Sunday 3/4, Depart Friday, 3/9).

The hotel, before taxes, will cost $295 for the entire trip, and some people have been discussing pairing up and being roommates to cut that in half.

Getting to Vegas will be up to you. We can attempt to coordinate arrival times so we can carpool or take the shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

The hotel has a ton of great conference rooms we can book and Brenda is organizing informal but hopefully inspiring/helpful workshops. We've discussed coffee shop take-overs and pool side writing sprints as well as running around the strip having fun together.

I personally can't WAIT to get in the same room with some of you and pick your brains and laugh about the craziness we get up to around here and really enjoy working together with some of my favorite people. I can't wait to have middle of the night writing sessions camped out on someone's hotel floor.

So, with all that in mind, if you're not already on the committee putting this together, can I get a show of hands for those who definately want to come to Vegas with us in March for all or part of the week? If you're a definate or a very strong maybe, please raise your hand. We need to know how many rooms to have the hotel block off for us so we can reserve them in the same area in the hotel. I'll also get your contact info you can be a part of the scheduling emails.

So tell me "I Will Definately Be There" or "I Am A Very Strong Maybe."
Also:
Are you bringing a spouse/boyfriend/sister/girlfriend/best friend?
Do you want to be roommates with someone if someone is available?

Thanks everyone! March can't come soon enough!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Nicole R

Re: The Bransforumfest Writing Retreat

Post by Nicole R » December 14th, 2011, 10:03 am

Thanks for getting this going again, Sommer!

I'm a definite, but I don't know the exact dates I'll be able to stay. I can definitely be there early in the week, but have a friend's wedding that following weekend. I might need to head out by Thursday-ish. Will keep you guys posted!

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 17th, 2011, 4:07 pm

I'm in! I will be there for at least the opening night. I wish I could stay for the whole thing (I have a work conflict), but am really looking forward to seeing everyone!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » December 17th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:I'm in! I will be there for at least the opening night. I wish I could stay for the whole thing (I have a work conflict), but am really looking forward to seeing everyone!
OMG SQUEEEE!! I can't believe we get to rub elbows with NATHAN BRANSFORD!!!!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

mspoppy

Post by mspoppy » December 17th, 2011, 7:28 pm

I live in Vegas, and I will definitely be attending...can't wait!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 17th, 2011, 7:34 pm

mspoppy wrote:I live in Vegas, and I will definitely be attending...can't wait!
Are you going to be staying at the hotel as well or just meeting up with us when we get together as a group?

Jen P

Post by Jen P » December 18th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Oh wow - I pop away for a few Christmas days and there's a writing-fest arranged! Well done. I can even get to Vegas for £ 428.90 GBP - is there an estimation already for any conference costs on top / room hire etc? Will need to think this over - not a definite raised hand (yet), just a query so far. Jen P

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 18th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Jen P wrote:Oh wow - I pop away for a few Christmas days and there's a writing-fest arranged! Well done. I can even get to Vegas for £ 428.90 GBP - is there an estimation already for any conference costs on top / room hire etc? Will need to think this over - not a definite raised hand (yet), just a query so far. Jen P
It's not really a conference. We've been referring to it as sort of a vacation for writers. We'll be writing together and doing some critiques and a few talks/workshops together. It's going to be part writing experience and part having fun with other Bransforumers. The hotel cost is pretty cheap, which is why we picked Vegas. You're welcome to come! There is of course any cost for food and shows and other things you want to do while in vegas.

Robin

Post by Robin » January 6th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Sorry I haven't been around, it's been hectic with Thanksgiving, Christmas, moving, packing, unpacking, and a bad case of strep throat :(. Not to mention trying to get my R&R for my top agent in shape.

Count me in for Monday- Wednesday! I'll be staying with my sister in Vegas, but I definitely want to hang out with you guys the entire time.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » January 7th, 2012, 10:00 am

Robin wrote:Sorry I haven't been around, it's been hectic with Thanksgiving, Christmas, moving, packing, unpacking, and a bad case of strep throat :(. Not to mention trying to get my R&R for my top agent in shape.

Count me in for Monday- Wednesday! I'll be staying with my sister in Vegas, but I definitely want to hang out with you guys the entire time.
Woo! Nice to see you back, Robin, and can't wait to have you join us!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Jen P

Post by Jen P » January 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Sorry folks - all in looks like it won't happen for me this time around, but perhaps another time if it becomes an annual event? :) Have a fabulous and productive time! xxx

Cookie

Post by Cookie » January 11th, 2012, 7:04 pm

For everyone who is booking rooms:

We have set up a block of rooms at the hotel (the Luxor).

Call this number:
800-288-1000

And give them the code: TFEST when reserving the room. You can request whether you would like a single or a double.

We have until Feb. 4th to book the rooms under the group. The 1st night is due over the phone and rest upon arrival.

See everyone there!

Edit: Also, it looks like the price for the hotel went down again. The price the woman (who was extremely nice) gave me for the room block was $260 before taxes.
Last edited by Cookie on January 13th, 2012, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 12th, 2012, 8:23 am

Robin wrote:Sorry I haven't been around, it's been hectic with Thanksgiving, Christmas, moving, packing, unpacking, and a bad case of strep throat :(. Not to mention trying to get my R&R for my top agent in shape.

I can't wait to meet you Robin!!!

Margo

Post by Margo » January 12th, 2012, 4:36 pm

It just occured to me I can write off this trip on my taxes. :D

Flight booked, hotel later tonight.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

mspoppy

Post by mspoppy » January 13th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:Are you going to be staying at the hotel as well or just meeting up with us when we get together as a group?
Since I only live about 15 minutes away from the strip, I'll probably just stay at home and meet up with you for group events. I also have a few writing buddies here in Vegas, that I met during NaNoWriMo, who might also be interested. I'll make sure to pass the info on!