Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Cookie

Re: Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Post by Cookie » July 18th, 2011, 12:22 pm

dios4vida wrote:Claudie & Cookie - keep in mind that it will be hot and dry down here in March. Since you guys are Northerners and have never experienced the desert make sure that if you do anything outside or strenuous that you're very careful and drink buttloads of water. I'm actually thinking of putting together a letter for those who've never been to the desert. There's a lot of information you need to stay safe. Would that seem pretentious or offensive to anyone?
Dios, that is actually a good idea. My brother got this really cool water pouch backpack for Christmas. Maybe I'll get one for Vegas, since I like to go on long hikes, and like you said, it's really hot and dry.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 18th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Cookie wrote:My brother got this really cool water pouch backpack for Christmas. Maybe I'll get one for Vegas, since I like to go on long hikes, and like you said, it's really hot and dry.
Oh, the Camelbacks! Those are priceless. That would be a great investment, imho.

(Just a warning, there isn't a whole lot around Vegas. The desert there is flat and doesn't have much vegetation [and unlike a lot of people think, there are deserts that are lush and beautiful for hiking, I happen to live in one of the best], so hiking might be scarce. I'm not sure about the trails, though. We'll see what's out there.)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 18th, 2011, 9:59 pm

diosvida wrote:Claudie & Cookie - keep in mind that it will be hot and dry down here in March. Since you guys are Northerners and have never experienced the desert make sure that if you do anything outside or strenuous that you're very careful and drink buttloads of water. I'm actually thinking of putting together a letter for those who've never been to the desert. There's a lot of information you need to stay safe. Would that seem pretentious or offensive to anyone?
Not pretentious at all. I'd love all this info and promise to reciprocate if you have to land in winterland one of these days. ;) I'm well aware there isn't much in the desert, but since I don't think I'll have a chance to see the desert any time soon, I'd love to go out there and experience it. Call it research. ;)

For the record, I don't mean to lead a writing exercise. I can honestly say that I haven't done enough of them and would feel a lot better participating.

Cookie: I don't hike that often, and yet it's one of my favourite activities. There are some crazy beautiful mountains and viewpoints in Quebec.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 19th, 2011, 3:22 pm

I'm the same way about hiking. I used to go a lot when I was younger, and I've recently picked it back up, considering the Appalachian Trail is right on the way home.

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » July 20th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Hi! I'm hoping I'm not a lone-ranger here or bringing the thread off its original topic.
I live in New Zealand and was wondering if there are other kiwi's on the forum who would like to meet up at some point in the coming months? Or if they know of an active writing group on the North Island, I'll settle for that as well. :)
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 21st, 2011, 10:48 am

Update: I've heard back from almost everyone with their email address, so I'm going to send out an email to everyone who said YES or MAYBE with a short little survey asking for date recommendations in particular, and also a few other questions to help guide us on our next steps. I would like to reiterate what Margo said above in that if we go later than the first week of March the prices start to go up and if we go over a weekend, no matter what dates we decide on, we will be paying much more. So keep that in mind. We were looking at staying at the Luxor because their prices are a little better, it's a GREAT hotel, and has lots of great meeting space we can use.

I'm going to be away this weekend (heading to a sci-fi convention! YAY!) and I may not get this email out until sunday night, although I expect some downtime at the convention so I might send it out earlier than sunday. I'm still trying to finish my steampunk costume for the convention, so I doubt I'll get it out earlier. So EXPECT the email to show up on Sunday night and be pleasantly surprised if it comes sooner :-)

If you didn't give me your email address because I didn't ask you or you didn't see my PM, please PM it to me so I can include you in the survey. If you never indicated that you were definitely coming or maybe coming, I did not send you a request. If you know now that you are one of those two groups, PM me. I anticipate that within a week or so we will have our decision as to WHEN our little BransforumFest will be and anyone who decides to join us after this point will have to work within the decision we make as a group.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 21st, 2011, 11:24 am

Claudie wrote:For the record, I don't mean to lead a writing exercise. I can honestly say that I haven't done enough of them and would feel a lot better participating.
Just for the record, I don't do a lot of writing exercises myself and have never lead anyone else in them. All I have is a fun little game I play with myself that I figured I could make into a writing exercise. So just because you don't feel like you have the "authority" or "experience" don't let that stop you. If you just plain don't wanna, that's a different story. But I thought it was worth putting in that I'm leading even though I have no real reason why I should lead one.
Chantelle.S. wrote:Hi! I'm hoping I'm not a lone-ranger here or bringing the thread off its original topic.
I live in New Zealand and was wondering if there are other kiwi's on the forum who would like to meet up at some point in the coming months? Or if they know of an active writing group on the North Island, I'll settle for that as well. :)
OOH! Let's do our workshop with Chantelle! I've heard that New Zealand is gorgeous and I've always wanted to go there. As my Mom always says, "Have passport, have Visa, will travel." Now if only we could all afford that...
Sommer Leigh wrote:I'm going to be away this weekend (heading to a sci-fi convention! YAY!) and I may not get this email out until sunday night, although I expect some downtime at the convention so I might send it out earlier than sunday. I'm still trying to finish my steampunk costume for the convention, so I doubt I'll get it out earlier. So EXPECT the email to show up on Sunday night and be pleasantly surprised if it comes sooner :-)
YAY to Sommer, our intrepid ray-gun toting, planning-hat wearing Sheriff!! Thanks for all of your work getting all of the major planning stuff done. And to Margo, also, who's been great at keeping our lists updated and our minds focused on logistics and pointing out problems. You guys rock!!

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 26th, 2011, 1:05 am

I have emailed the first of several surveys to everyone whose email I received. If I did not receive your email or your email decided I was a no good dastardly spammer, you can take the survey by clicking on this link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... V0lENmc6MQ

Please answer as soon as possible. I'll send out the survey results in about a week.

This first survey is mostly data gathering. Depending on the majority rule of this survey, I'll send out another survey to make final decisions on dates and location. Once that is decided, a third survey will go out regarding the hotel. We'll go from there once the when and where have been decided.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 3rd, 2011, 4:01 pm

Update time!!!

The results are in and here is the way the voting came up:

7 votes for: 3/4/12 - 3/10/12
7 votes for: 3/11/12 - 3/17/12
2 votes for: 3/18/12 - 3/24/12
1 vote for: 4/22/12 - 4/28/12
2 votes for: 4/29/12 - 5/5/12

There was a pretty unanimous sentiment that no one wants to go over the more expensive friday saturday so we are looking at either:
Checking in on Sunday, 3/4/12 and checking out Friday, 3/9/12
Checking in on Sunday 3/11/12 and checking out on Friday 3/16/12

Everyone, of course, would be welcome to come and go any time during that week, but I think a lot of people were very interested in 5 days so we could have an event that was part writing retreat and part adventure.

So we need to decide between these two weeks. Once we decide on the official dates, we can move on to some of the other decisions. So, everyone who is either coming for sure or who is currently a Maybe, please cast your vote here on the thread over whether you want:
A: Checking in on Sunday 3/4/12 and checking out Friday, 3/9/12
B: Checking in on Sunday 3/11/12 and checking out on Friday 3/16/12
C: I can attend during either set of dates

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 3rd, 2011, 4:21 pm

A and C. I can do either but I'd prefer the first week of March.

trixie

Post by trixie » August 3rd, 2011, 6:52 pm

C for me at this time!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » August 3rd, 2011, 7:22 pm

C, but I prefer A.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2011, 10:14 pm

I can also do either (C), but prefer A.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 3rd, 2011, 10:46 pm

I'm A. Really wish I could be C, but sadly, I am A.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » August 6th, 2011, 2:02 am

Looks like this might be going against me....I'm B. And I can literally only do it then.

Oh, and I'll reiterate what I said on the survey. If it ends up being when I can't go, I fully expect someone to skype me in for some of the fun, or at least to meet some of you all in person!

CV