Distractions

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Lynn Deasy

Distractions

Post by Lynn Deasy » August 3rd, 2011, 10:38 am

I couldn't agree more with the August 3rd blog about distractions. For me, they are needed. They give me time to clear my head and I often do find some of my next ideas while pulling weeds out of the garden or doing something productive. I think that is key for me when the wheels come to a grinding hault. The need to feel productive so when I sit down and face the screen I feel I have something to write about and feel like I've gotten something done.

Sommer Leigh

Re: Distractions

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 3rd, 2011, 2:07 pm

I agree with you completely. When I get into a situation where a chapter's not working or the plot's not working or I hate a character with all the power of two suns and my whole soul, I can't just sit and stare at a screen and hope it fixes itself in my head. I find I an inspired by bright ideas when other parts of my brain are in action mode. I like to do things, and read things, and watch great BBC movies. I go to a new a store I've never been to, or to one of the many weird tourist spots in my city, or I go drive away and get lost in some good scenery. I take some photos, get silly with my girlfriends, and viola - my plot problem fixes itself and I am ready to get back to work.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 3rd, 2011, 4:30 pm

Me too. If I'm stuck, I wash dishes. That's my go-to for clearing my brain. Also I'll watch movies in my genre (I'm the watch-the-same-12-movies-over-and-over kind of person) because their super-cool ideas tend to give me super-cool ideas. Also, video games, tai chi, and a buttload of other fun things make writing much easier and much more fun.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Kreann

Post by Kreann » August 3rd, 2011, 11:15 pm

I really enjoyed (and rather appreciated) today's blog post too. And I agree with you as well - sometimes it's a good distraction that helps to clear my mind and/or the roadblock my writing has encountered. I have to admit, though, that sometimes I get so determined NOT to allow myself to get distracted that later I feel like I've missed out on time with my family. When I catch myself getting too caught up in writing, I regroup, reset my priorities, and ease back into life.

And usually, that's where I rediscover my imagination. ;-)

trixie

Post by trixie » August 16th, 2011, 4:24 pm

When I need to work through a plot issue, I know my best bet is to talk it out loud. But that tends to warrant strange looks.

So I throw on my iPod/headphones, leash up the dog, and go for a walk. If I'm really working through the plot, I won't even turn on the music. I just use the accessories as a rouse to talk/mumble to myself!

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 17th, 2011, 9:49 am

trixie wrote:I just use the accessories as a rouse to talk/mumble to myself!
:lol: :lol:
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 17th, 2011, 3:00 pm

trixie wrote:So I throw on my iPod/headphones, leash up the dog, and go for a walk. If I'm really working through the plot, I won't even turn on the music. I just use the accessories as a rouse to talk/mumble to myself!
Bluetooth headsets work great for that, too. :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

F.E. Sewell

Post by F.E. Sewell » August 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Sometimes when I'm trying to go to sleep at night my brain decides to start processing things at 1.21 gigawatts and suddenly I've got all kinds of ideas racing through my head. I have to sleep with a notepad and pen next to my bed because of it.

It's very disrupting, but in the end I don't mind. Too many good things come out of it.

Does this happen to anyone else? There's no way I'm the only one.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 22nd, 2011, 5:26 pm

F.E. Sewell wrote:Sometimes when I'm trying to go to sleep at night my brain decides to start processing things at 1.21 gigawatts and suddenly I've got all kinds of ideas racing through my head. I have to sleep with a notepad and pen next to my bed because of it.

It's very disrupting, but in the end I don't mind. Too many good things come out of it.

Does this happen to anyone else? There's no way I'm the only one.
We actually had a discussion about this not too long ago in the Writing thread. (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4022) A ton of us do that. Almost as many as those of us who get our inspiration in the shower.

F.E. Sewell

Post by F.E. Sewell » August 23rd, 2011, 1:20 am

Thank you so much for pointing that out!

For some reason I don't get as many ideas in the shower as I do right before I go to sleep. Another thing that works for me is taking a long walk. If you ever see someone walking along staring aimlessly into the distance, that's me! :D

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 23rd, 2011, 11:14 am

F.E. Sewell wrote:Thank you so much for pointing that out!

For some reason I don't get as many ideas in the shower as I do right before I go to sleep. Another thing that works for me is taking a long walk. If you ever see someone walking along staring aimlessly into the distance, that's me! :D
My pleasure. Glad I could ensure that you don't feel like such a weirdo. (Or at least help you feel a little more at home amongst the other weirdos!)

Walking doesn't inspire me, though I know a lot of others feel that way. I'm more likely to stare off into the distance while I'm playing video games with my husband. The visuals of the games we play (fantasy RPGs, mostly) get the wheels spinning for me.

Darke

Post by Darke » August 26th, 2011, 8:17 am

dios4vida wrote:Me too. If I'm stuck, I wash dishes.
OMG! I do this too! I thought I was weird because this helped me to focus, guess not! Hot showers work for me too.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 26th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Darke wrote:
dios4vida wrote:Me too. If I'm stuck, I wash dishes.
OMG! I do this too! I thought I was weird because this helped me to focus, guess not! Hot showers work for me too.
Well...hot showers work for almost anything, in my opinion. :)

Welcome to the Bransforums, Darke.