[SPOILERS] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Sleeping Beauty

[SPOILERS] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Post by Sleeping Beauty » July 13th, 2011, 9:49 am

Because the Hunger Games movie adaption got its own thread!

It's been exactly twelve hours since, after the credits of Part 1 rolled, the much-anticipated Part 2 began - and so did the ending of my favourite series. I'm not going to gush, but - I laughed, cried, and cheered, and I adored it infinately more than any of the earlier HP films.

This is the reason I go to the movies. This is the reason I read books. Particularly, it's the reason why nothing will ever be able to top Harry Potter for me, not if I read every book in the world.

I'd love to hear what you all thought of it; the die-hards, the casual muggle fans, fans of the fantasy genre and popular fiction in general. What is it about Harry that casts such a spell? :lol:

CharleeVale

Re: [SPOILERS] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Post by CharleeVale » July 13th, 2011, 9:55 am

Just curious....how did you already see it?

CV

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » July 13th, 2011, 11:31 am

I live in Australia. ;)

I saw it as a midnight double-feature, with Part 1 beginning at nine, and Part 2 starting just after midnight.

I heard North America's not getting it for another day or so, is that right?

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 13th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I am SO JEALOUS that you got to see it already! It doesn't release here in the US until Friday, and I won't get to see it until the 23rd. I'm dying. I can't wait. And I'm so happy to hear you thought it was good! I loved Part 1 because they followed the book so closely. That was my main gripe with the earlier ones. And if Part 2 continues in that tradition and follows the book I will be so happy. And I will cry in the theater, but at this point I don't really care.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » July 14th, 2011, 8:31 am

You've got to savour the moment while you can, Brenda! Soon enough you'll have seen the movie, and hopefully the hype will have translated to total happiness for you as well!

Aww, now I feel I've been boasting. Anyway, North Americans-and-others, come post when you've seen it and we'll intensely discuss the book-to-film adaptation!

Leila

Post by Leila » July 14th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Argh! I'm soooo jealous. I'm dying to see it. I'll definitely come back for a post watching of movie chat! So glad you enjoyed it.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 15th, 2011, 4:01 am

Ok, I haven't seen it yet, but I find this utterly hilarious. A little bit crude, but hilarious.

http://holykaw.alltop.com/harry-potter- ... cats-video

You can't get better than Harry Potter summed up by cats!

CV

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 18th, 2011, 6:56 pm

I just got back from seeing it. Sigh. There is now closure in my life. :)

CV

Heather B

Post by Heather B » July 18th, 2011, 8:17 pm

I went to the midnight screening too and I've seen it twice more since then. I'll be going again this week sometime. I've always been a massive Potter fan but I've never liked any of the movies. Part one was a lot better than most but I still didn't have high hopes for part two.

It was amazing.

I too, cried like crazy in the middle of the theater along with everyone else. I don't know if it is just an Aussie thing but you could tell when everyone was crying because the whole cinema suddenly got a case of 'the coughs'. By the third screening this cracked me up.

There were still parts that disappointed me like all hell but nothing will top the disappointment of the sixth movie. All in all they did really well, turning that much loved book into a movie that even die-hards had a hard time turning their noses up at.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » July 19th, 2011, 10:59 am

Charlee - glad you're feeling closure rather than sadness! Do you think it did the book justice?

Heather - you've seen it three times already?? You're a machine! I'm spacing out my viewings, I want to try and forget the little things before I go back... But I'm sure I'll see it this weekend anyway! The midnight audiences were just perfect, Voldemort got more laughs than all the comic relief characters combined!

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 19th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Actually, I've never read the books, so I have no idea!

CV

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 23rd, 2011, 6:46 pm

I just got back from seeing it. Here's my review: holy crap amazing everything I wanted it to be. :)

I'm really happy with how they did it. I thought it was just perfect. My only gripe is that they left out one line I really loved in the books: "Oi! There's a war going on here!"

And I cried like a sissy all through it. So did my Mum sitting next to me. My husband & Dad just laughed at us. We're all huge Potter fans and we all loved the movie. I definitely think it did the book justice.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » August 1st, 2011, 10:04 am

^ Does anyone know the counter-curse for spambots?

I'm so glad eveyone enjoyed it! The major gripes I've heard have all been relatively minor compared to some of the endless plot holes - or plot vortexes - created in the earlier films. (Maurauder's Map, PoA, anyone?) It's still sitting at a whopping 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm really glad we got to go out with a bang. :)

On a related note, has anyone had a chance to sign up for early access to Pottermore? I haven't had internet access for the past few days, so I've missed some of the excitement.