Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Post by dios4vida » June 16th, 2011, 9:14 pm

So if you haven't popped into the You Know You Spend too much Time on the Bransforums... thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3804 to get caught up) we've morphed the conversation into seeing if people would be willing to meet somewhere for a get together/happy hour/critique session with your fellow Bransforumers! What we'd like to know is:

1. If you're really interested in going somewhere and having a reasonable chance of having the funds for hotel/food/flights,
2. Where in the world you are and where would be a good place for you to meet, and
3. When a good time would be (as in season/month).

So far we've discussed Chicago, Atlanta, and the ladies are leaning towards Vegas. Spring is looking like a good time, though fall has been mentioned as well.

WE WANT YOUR INPUT!! Let's see if we can really get together for a BransforumFest!!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Claudie

Re: Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Post by Claudie » June 16th, 2011, 9:28 pm

*gives input* TADA!

Now to the serious questions:

1. SUPER interested. I can have the money if it's in fall, methinks.
2. I'm in Quebec City! I don't think Frenchland in Canada is the best place for everyone to meet. So I'll call Chicago. Or Atlanta. Or Vegas. Or anywhere. :D
3. Not before spring would be best for me. Either first of March (my springbreak) or May? But I can and will skip class for you guys.

BRANSFORUMS FEST FTW
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 9:34 pm

I'm from Western MA. Spring works for me. I'll go anywhere, but Vegas is looking awefully nice.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 16th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Guess I'd better give my input, too. :P

1. I'm totally interested. Would anyone object to bringing spouses, cause mine wants to accompany me. :)
2. I'm in southern Arizona. Vegas would be super convenient for me, though other places would work, too.
3. This year's a bit hairy, but spring would be awesome.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 16th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Some of us have been in a Twitter-conversation of epicness for the past couple of hours talking about the possibilities. Not to sway anyone because if lots of people are interested we'll all figure something out together, but we did come up with some interesting info:

Vegas would be awesome in the Spring. The first week of March is a good week for staying at The Luxor. From 3/4-3/8, five nights, it would be $250 for the cheaper room which can have 2 queen beds. If anyone is willing to share a room, that's $125 a person, which is SO not bad. Also they have meeting rooms that can be used for as few as 20 people.

1. I am interested. My husband will probably be coming with me sort of, he'll be staying with his BFF from college who teaches marching band at a high school in Vegas so I'll mostly be on my lonesome.
2. I like Vegas, but I will go anywhere.
3. I also vote spring, because that gives time to plan and arrange a pack of us, events, ideas, destinations, and money.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 10:57 pm

1.I'm in.
2.I'm in CA, but that's irrelevant.
3.Spring 2012 gets my vote.

WOuld we want to do any actual events (as Sommer mentioned meeting rooms)?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Hektor...I see your name in the log-ins. You're theeeere. Say yes to Veeeegasssss.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 16th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Margo wrote:1.I'm in.
2.I'm in CA, but that's irrelevant.
3.Spring 2012 gets my vote.

WOuld we want to do any actual events (as Sommer mentioned meeting rooms)?
I think we should take advantage of having us all in one place. We could workshop stuff we have already done, break off into groups to talk about each other's work (maybe do random groupings and exchange work before the trip to talk when we are there), we could create something together as a fun project to flex some of our unused writing muscles, or we could spend a day presenting topics to each other - anyone who has a topic they can teach on could sign up for a 30 minute slot. Something like that?
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » June 16th, 2011, 11:06 pm

So is that 250/night or for all 4 days?

I guess it's too late to nominate St Louis or Branson MO.

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » June 16th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Margo wrote:Hektor...I see your name in the log-ins. You're theeeere. Say yes to Veeeegasssss.
I think I leave the forum window open for the most of the day, so my name is probably always there. You're not quite as clever as you think! :)

Vegas is probably still a long shot, despite the impressive tag-team effort on Twitter. But Spring is a long time away... so you can mark me as a maybe.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 11:15 pm

hektorkarl wrote:
Margo wrote:Hektor...I see your name in the log-ins. You're theeeere. Say yes to Veeeegasssss.
I think I leave the forum window open for the most of the day, so my name is probably always there. You're not quite as clever as you think! :)

Vegas is probably still a long shot, despite the impressive tag-team effort on Twitter. But Spring is a long time away... so you can mark me as a maybe.
Well, you see how Cheap it is!

And Watcher, that is 2250 total.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 16th, 2011, 11:20 pm

I'm up for a trip to Vegas. Name the time!

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » June 16th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Cookie wrote:
hektorkarl wrote:

Well, you see how Cheap it is!

And Watcher, that is 2250 total.
2250? Is that a typo?

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 16th, 2011, 11:26 pm

hektorkarl wrote:

You are now marked as YES. :D

I love the idea of workshops. I think I forgot to say I'd try to string my boyfriend along, too.

Cookie, I doubt it's 2250. ;) More like 250 total.
Nathan Bransford wrote:I'm up for a trip to Vegas. Name the time!
And suddenly this all got 1000 times better
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Watcher55 wrote:
2250? Is that a typo?
Total typo. Sorry, I meant $250.