Spread the E3 love!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Spread the E3 love!

Post by dios4vida » June 7th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Since so many of us are gamers, I thought this would be a great way to share our E3 SQUEEs and discuss all of the generally amazing things being unveiled at E3 this year.

First of all, I CANNOT WAIT to see what Nintendo's gonna do with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. If someone hears/sees anything PLEASE let me know!!

Anyone else play the Uncharted series? My husband and I love it. He shoots, I look at all the pretty scenery and I love the storylines. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception teasers came out and WOW! Naughty Dog really is kicking up their already superior game. You can check out a trailer here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/ ... 1-preview/

Also from PlayStation (it's our favorite console so you'll see a bunch of PS3 stuff from me) is this new gadget: The 3D TV that can show individual screens for two player games!! A must-see-to-believe. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/ ... but-at-e3/

How about you guys? Seen anything awesome? Wanna chat about games and E3? This is the place!! And...GO!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

dios4vida

Re: Spread the E3 love!

Post by dios4vida » June 7th, 2011, 2:16 pm

For the Nintendo folks, here's the video announcement of the new Wii U. http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/nintendo- ... -the-wii-u And there's a teeny tiny teaser for Zelda in there - about 10 seconds of gameplay - SQUEE!!! Want more!!

Overall it looks rather interesting to me, but I'm not a handheld gamer. What does everyone think of the U?

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Mira

Post by Mira » June 7th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I LOVE video games, and now that school's ending, I can dive in. Unfortunately I don't have a console - just a PC. Well, I have a Playstation 2, but I refuse to hook it up. I can have some minor self-discipline with the PC, but the console - I am lost for hours. Can't handle it. Probably because I don't like RPGs on the PC, I only play RPGs on the console, and I completely lose myself in them. Maybe someday, I'll be grown up enough to be given console priviledges.

In the meantime, if you hear of any good PC strategy games, let me know. Love those!!!

Cool topic, Brenda! :D

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » June 7th, 2011, 10:46 pm

OMG, the new Tomb Raider trailer!! *drool* Makes me look forward to the day I can get a PS3 even more (which will be my reward for either paying off all credit debt besides mortgage and student loan, or selling my first novel...whichever comes first LOL)

And of course, Skyward Sword is on my Christmas list already :-) I was glad Sony said no PS4 for awhile. I like that they keep a platform going instead of a new system every two years thing.

The Wii U didn't really excite much, probably because I can't quite figure out the point or purpose. I love my Wii, but playing it via a handheld screen that seems like an iPad? Nah...

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 9th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Mira wrote:I can have some minor self-discipline with the PC, but the console - I am lost for hours. Can't handle it. Probably because I don't like RPGs on the PC, I only play RPGs on the console, and I completely lose myself in them. Maybe someday, I'll be grown up enough to be given console priviledges.
I know the feeling. My husband and I are addicted to video games, especially the console RPGs. We have the same little conversation at least twice a week.
Brian: So Sweetheart, what do you want to do tonight?
Brenda: The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!
Brian: <insert name of current video game> it is.
Mira wrote:In the meantime, if you hear of any good PC strategy games, let me know. Love those!!!
RTS or TBS? My husband loves both, so you're in luck. :) Real-time, I'd suggest StarCraft or Stars Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I will lose my husband to the PC for weeks at a time with both of those. Turn based, he (and my Mum) love Civilization. My husband's a bit old school so he likes Civ 4, but my Mum's all modern and likes Civ 5. I'll let you know if I hear of anything else.
Collectonian wrote:OMG, the new Tomb Raider trailer!! *drool* Makes me look forward to the day I can get a PS3 even more (which will be my reward for either paying off all credit debt besides mortgage and student loan, or selling my first novel...whichever comes first LOL)

And of course, Skyward Sword is on my Christmas list already :-) I was glad Sony said no PS4 for awhile. I like that they keep a platform going instead of a new system every two years thing.

The Wii U didn't really excite much, probably because I can't quite figure out the point or purpose. I love my Wii, but playing it via a handheld screen that seems like an iPad? Nah...
I saw the Tomb Raider trailer - WOW! That does look good! And the gameplay demos for Skyward Sword look cool, too. I'm so excited it finally has a release date (sorta, I'll take Holiday 2011 at this point). Have you seen the trailers for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? (http://reckoningthegame.com/ has it on their front page.) The company's owned by the former baseball pitcher Curt Schilling and the story for Amalur was written by R.A. Salvatore. I am soooo drooling over that game!! It looks like the best ever.

I really agree with you - yay for no new consoles to buy, and the Wii U is underwhelming. I just don't really see the point to it!

Yay for gaming!

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » June 9th, 2011, 4:24 pm

dios4vida wrote:Have you seen the trailers for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? (http://reckoningthegame.com/ has it on their front page.) The company's owned by the former baseball pitcher Curt Schilling and the story for Amalur was written by R.A. Salvatore. I am soooo drooling over that game!! It looks like the best ever.
Wow that is nice looking indeed! Adding to my future PS3 wishlist :-D

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 9th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Hey all, hope you have checked out all the amazing CNET content at E3! I was live-tweeting some of the press conferences for CNET. We have videos and first looks on many of the games and consoles.

http://reviews.cnet.com/E3/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 10th, 2011, 8:22 am

Thanks for the link Nathan!

I've been stalking E3 news this week. I love video games, but I've really backed off this last year and I try to just pick up games I know I will love so that I don't waste TOO much time doing nothing but playing video games. I love what the Wii U has to offer, especially since my Wii kind of sits unused on the gaming shelf. I'm pretty excited about what's coming down for XBox though, like From Dust and the new Bioshock game.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » June 11th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Wow, I didn't know there were so many gamers on here!
Games FTW! ^_^

I was absolutely obsessed with the E3 last year, so much so that I watched the life streaming of it in the hopes of catching something on the next Devil May Cry game. I was left disappointed, of course, but since last E3 and this year's E3, I've managed to weasle myself into friendships with people online who coincidentally (and lucky for me) are currently working on the next installment of the series, DmC.

A lot of controversy surrounding it. To say there's a big divide in the fandom about this game is the understatement of the century. Things got as ugly as they did during the Twilight vs Vampire Diaries flame wars, only this war is conducted on gamer-mentality rather than literary-understanding.

Anyway, the only game I've really been keeping an eye out for is DMC/DmC, partially because I now actually know a few people who are on that project, but mostly because Dante (the main character) could be the gaming epitome of my first ever created fictional character. The fact that Dante has an identical twin brother who is 'superior' to him also fuelled my obsession with this series since MY character also happens to have a superior identical twin.

Then the core differences between my characters and Hideki's characters became clear, and I fell in love with Dan- I mean the series. I haven't played all the games as I class as a casual gamer, so I've made it up to mission 11 or something on DMC3:SE (which I borrowed from a friend) and I've only ever tried to play DMC4 through like a hundred times. The furthest I've gotten is Son of Sparda mode, the mission just before I unlock Dante, because either my disc magically disappeared into thin air, or the kids got hold of it and scratched it, or, as the latest obstacle hit me, Xbox Live had an upgrade and ever since I'm unable to progress to the next level on the game because 'the disc is unreadable'. So I've given up trying to play it.

I am looking forward to DmC though. Despite Dante not quite being the Dante I adore (the silver hair and blue eyes were what sucked me into the franchise in the first place), the game doesn't look that bad. It's massively different to the previous games, but that's okay since it's a reboot. I like the new direction they're trying out. What I like even more is that Ninja Theory, the guys developing this thing, are pro at storytelling. Or so their rep says. I haven't played any of their games so I wouldn't know how to compare. But it's all about the STORY!!! Finally, things might actually make SENSE in the Devil May Cry universe! I got the impression of something akin to The Matrix with their latest trailer. Or The Matrix meets Inception. The music suited, the graphics weren't too bad, and the gameplay is looking on par with the DMC style.

I'm still not a fan of Dante's new look, but I do like the new overhaul of the game so far.

The trailer is here for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8F9w4XbBzY
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

Mira

Post by Mira » June 11th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Thanks much for the recommendation Brenda. I like turn-based stategy and building strategy (like Sim City). I've heard mixed reviews about Civiliation 5, but I'm edging closer.

Sigh. I wish playing video games was somthing I could do for a livilihood. I love it so.......:)

Nathan, did you get to go to E3?? You lucky duck! :)

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 11th, 2011, 11:14 pm

Chantelle.S. wrote:Wow, I didn't know there were so many gamers on here!
Games FTW! ^_^

...What I like even more is that Ninja Theory, the guys developing this thing, are pro at storytelling...
Oh yeah, a long time ago we had a thread going about who's a gamer in general, and tons of Bransforumers stepped up to the plate. I think there were at least a dozen of us who admitted our love of gaming. Probably even more. :)

My husband and I have played at least one game by Ninja Theory...can't remember which one...<Googles company>...oh yeah, they did Enslaved: Odyssey to the West!! We just finished playing that like a month ago. It had an AMAZING storyline. Like AMAZING. Definitely an awesome game. It's post apacalyptic and I hate post apacalyptic stories. But I liked this one. So you should be in for a treat if Ninja Theory's doing the story for you.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 12th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Mira wrote:Thanks much for the recommendation Brenda. I like turn-based stategy and building strategy (like Sim City). I've heard mixed reviews about Civiliation 5, but I'm edging closer.

Sigh. I wish playing video games was somthing I could do for a livilihood. I love it so.......:)

Nathan, did you get to go to E3?? You lucky duck! :)
No, I didn't get to go to E3, I just watched the press conference streams. But I'm going to ComicCon in July!

Mira

Post by Mira » June 12th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Ah, sorry you didn't get to go to E3, but since you probably watched it at work (meaning you got PAID to watch E3), that's the next best thing. :)

Yes, comicon sounds AWESOME!!!! Not the least of which is the gorgeous location. Beautiful beaches and video games, perfect combo. Hope you have major fun!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 13th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:But I'm going to ComicCon in July!
<gasp> Jealous!! I wanna go, too!! :)

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » June 13th, 2011, 6:28 pm

dios4vida wrote:My husband and I have played at least one game by Ninja Theory...can't remember which one...<Googles company>...oh yeah, they did Enslaved: Odyssey to the West!! We just finished playing that like a month ago. It had an AMAZING storyline. Like AMAZING. Definitely an awesome game. It's post apacalyptic and I hate post apacalyptic stories. But I liked this one. So you should be in for a treat if Ninja Theory's doing the story for you.
That makes me want to die of anticipation! :D

I envy the people who are able to go to the E3 and Comicon and all these great conventions. :mrgreen:
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance