Is this a joke?? Nathan? Really?

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Robin

Is this a joke?? Nathan? Really?

Post by Robin » November 5th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Just read the blog after a long day and an even longer birthday party for my 6 yr old, complete with 20 other 6 year olds. Did I miss an inside joke or something? Nathan, are you really leaving the agency? Is it April 1st already?
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

stephmcgee

Re: Is this a joke?? Nathan? Really?

Post by stephmcgee » November 6th, 2010, 12:45 am

Sadly, he really is. One of his clients blogged about it today, too. She's now repped by another agent at CB. *tears*

Mariam Maarouf

Post by Mariam Maarouf » November 6th, 2010, 11:12 am

I really, really thought he was kidding. I double-checked my calender to see how far we are from April. Then I kept looking for the punch line, but there's none. :(

*sigh*
"It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly." - C. J. Cherryh

http://www.mariam-maarouf.info , http://www.mariamaarouf.blogspot.com , http://www.twitter.com/mariamaarouf

Aimée

Post by Aimée » November 6th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO glad he's keeping the blog and forums though. I'm literally on here every day.

Quill

Post by Quill » November 6th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Be interesting to see how the blog and forums change as a result. New forums, new posters. Posters who are not writers, maybe...

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » November 6th, 2010, 9:15 pm

I'm so sad. :(

Happy that your finding something else to do that you will enjoy Nathan, but selfishly really sad. lol

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » November 7th, 2010, 11:04 am

Not a joke, and certainly not a decision I made lightly. It was a very very very very difficult decision. But I'm just so excited about this new path and think it's the right one for me. It was difficult to leave publishing behind, but long time blog readers know how much I'm fascinated by new technology and social media, and I'm really glad to have the opportunity to pursue it full time and see where it leads.

I'm really anticipating that the blog and Forums will pretty much continue as they are, and things won't change too much. They'll still be a place to talk about writing, books, publishing, and whatever strikes our fancy. But I'll have some more freedom to explore new topics, and I'm looking forward to the new era.

Thanks again so much to everyone for making the blog and Forums what they are!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » November 7th, 2010, 12:40 pm

I guess that means my dreams of being repped by the fabulous Nathan Bransford must officially be ended now. So very sad.

Best of luck to you, Nathan! Make sure to stop in and say hi every now and then. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Robin

Post by Robin » November 7th, 2010, 3:08 pm

oh, wow. So it is true... You'll be missed, Nathan.
Will you still pop in on the forums, occasionally?
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » November 7th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Robin wrote:oh, wow. So it is true... You'll be missed, Nathan.
Will you still pop in on the forums, occasionally?
Same amount as before! The blog and forums shouldn't be changing very much except for maybe some new topics.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » November 7th, 2010, 3:48 pm

dios4vida wrote:I guess that means my dreams of being repped by the fabulous Nathan Bransford must officially be ended now. So very sad.
Did we not ALL fancy that? ;) I am just sad his form rejection never graced my inbox. I always thought of that moment as an important stage to reach in my career. ^^
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Mira

Post by Mira » November 10th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Yes, well, first of all Nathan, I can say this on the forum when it's just us - you really suck. I'm happy for you and all, but you just really, really, really suck.

Okay, now that's out of the way, I feel completely justified in inflicting upon you the story of what I went through when you dropped your bomb on Friday. I was bereft. I was heartbroken. I cried. I was significantly depressed for THREE WHOLE DAYS. Yes, I can definitely say, without a moment of hesitation, that you suck, suck, suck.

On the other hand, my intense sadness and depression at the loss of a fantasy has passed. I talked with some wise people, and learned alot about myself from going through that, so that's all to the good. And now, I'm pretty much over it, which is probably partly due to your 'rip off the band-aid' and move on as quickly as possible approach. Which I resent, because I like to wallow in things, but I suppose your approach has some merit. Now, it's fun to be on your blog and forum without any pressure. It's fun to relax and feel like I don't want anything from you other then to enjoy talking about stuff. I still think you're amazing, and very much look forward to your future accomplishments, and care about you, but it's different. I can just have a nice time, and play around.

But don't ever do that again, Mr. Bransford. That would really suck.

So, there you go. And good luck with your wonderful new job. I hope you love it. Maybe not at first though. I always hate my new jobs the first month. I go home and cry every night. Then I decide I like it later on. Anyway, I hope works out really well!

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » November 10th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Oh come on, Mira! Three days is not nearly long enough for a good wallow! I usually take a week. (I was only half-joking in the Kindle vs Nook thread.)

I am well aware of the dangers of fantasies, but am usually the last person to pour cold water on them. Fantasies are our stock-in-trade as authors, after all. ALL fiction is fantasy, not just fiction labeled 'fantasy'. And much of what passes as non-fiction is fantasy too, but that's another day's work...

I could offer the usual consolations. Nathan was never the only agent in the world, etc. etc. But you've probably heard all that from your wise people. Hold onto your wise people. They're worth their weight in gold (about $23,000 a pound now, up from the $20,000 a pound quoted in CONNECT WITH A CRITIQUE PARTNER).

'Now, it's fun to be on your blog and forum without any pressure. It's fun to relax and feel like I don't want anything from you other then to enjoy talking about stuff.'
I wondered about that myself. How would Nathan's retiring from agenting affect my attitude towards his blog and forums, not to mention the attitudes of others and of Nathan himself? I did always try to have fun and relax and enjoy talking about stuff anyway, but I was always aware of Nathan's professional position.

I bet Nathan misses all the queries already...

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with your fellow Bransforumites, Mira!

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » November 10th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Mira wrote:Yes, well, first of all Nathan, I can say this on the forum when it's just us - you really suck. I'm happy for you and all, but you just really, really, really suck.

Okay, now that's out of the way, I feel completely justified in inflicting upon you the story of what I went through when you dropped your bomb on Friday. I was bereft. I was heartbroken. I cried. I was significantly depressed for THREE WHOLE DAYS. Yes, I can definitely say, without a moment of hesitation, that you suck, suck, suck.

On the other hand, my intense sadness and depression at the loss of a fantasy has passed. I talked with some wise people, and learned alot about myself from going through that, so that's all to the good. And now, I'm pretty much over it, which is probably partly due to your 'rip off the band-aid' and move on as quickly as possible approach. Which I resent, because I like to wallow in things, but I suppose your approach has some merit. Now, it's fun to be on your blog and forum without any pressure. It's fun to relax and feel like I don't want anything from you other then to enjoy talking about stuff. I still think you're amazing, and very much look forward to your future accomplishments, and care about you, but it's different. I can just have a nice time, and play around.

But don't ever do that again, Mr. Bransford. That would really suck.

So, there you go. And good luck with your wonderful new job. I hope you love it. Maybe not at first though. I always hate my new jobs the first month. I go home and cry every night. Then I decide I like it later on. Anyway, I hope works out really well!
You know, I have to say (and I plan on blogging about this), one of the strangest things about being an agent was that on the one hand you're the repository of so many hopes and dreams and so many people out there want you to make their dreams come true. And then on the other hand you're going through the day to day grind of trying so hard (and not always succeeding) of selling the projects that are the few that you believe the most in. So you start feeling like, man, all these people are out there with their manuscripts and hopes, and yet it's so unbelievably hard just to sell the couple I've decided to take on.

I felt that disconnect very very keenly. So I do know what you mean, but at the same time I have to say that I'm relieved to be out from under that glare. Not only because it's a lot of pressure being the custodian of those dreams, but there's also quite a bit of unreality to the whole thing. There's no way I or any other agent could make every single person's dream come true, especially when there's not a whole lot of pixie dust going around these days.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » November 10th, 2010, 11:41 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:'Now, it's fun to be on your blog and forum without any pressure. It's fun to relax and feel like I don't want anything from you other then to enjoy talking about stuff.'
I wondered about that myself. How would Nathan's retiring from agenting affect my attitude towards his blog and forums, not to mention the attitudes of others and of Nathan himself? I did always try to have fun and relax and enjoy talking about stuff anyway, but I was always aware of Nathan's professional position.
Take off your shoes and get comfortable!!