Kindle vs. Nook

News, trends, and the future of publishing
cheekychook

Kindle vs. Nook

Post by cheekychook » October 29th, 2010, 11:46 am

I'm one of those people with a Christmastime birthday, so I only get one chance a year to hint about gifts (well, I can hint about them any time I want, but I only have one chance a year to actually have it be likely the hints are taken) and I'm debating whether to hint for a Kindle or a Nook.

I've read up on both of them, I have friends who own each of them---seems like a bit of a Coke vs. Pepsi debate at this point. Anyone have a solid reason why one is "better" than the other (the e-readers, not the sodas--- focus, people)? Open to all input... Thanks.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Mira

Re: Kindle vs. Nook

Post by Mira » October 29th, 2010, 11:53 am

I don't know - I've never used a Nook. But I LOVE my Kindle. Love, love, love, love it.

I have it on my I-phone though, so I don't have the full e-reader experience.

So, you're not considering the I-pad? I've heard that's incredible.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » October 31st, 2010, 3:25 pm

Nook versus Kindle could be a Tweedledum versus Tweedledee situation (I've got Alice on the brain at the moment). Coke versus Pepsi is a different matter. Dark sugary water is a vital part of the US national culture and heritage! But, with a Christmastime birthday, aren't you entitled to TWO presents?

Mira, let no one say women can't love machines!

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » October 31st, 2010, 6:26 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Nook versus Kindle could be a Tweedledum versus Tweedledee situation (I've got Alice on the brain at the moment). Coke versus Pepsi is a different matter. Dark sugary water is a vital part of the US national culture and heritage! But, with a Christmastime birthday, aren't you entitled to TWO presents?

Clearly spoken by someone who has a birthday at a different time of year. I'm happy when I don't get the combined "Merry Birthday Happy Christmas" card, which is particularly lame as my birthday is not even on Christmas day or Christmas eve.

Mira

Post by Mira » November 3rd, 2010, 3:46 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Nook versus Kindle could be a Tweedledum versus Tweedledee situation (I've got Alice on the brain at the moment). Coke versus Pepsi is a different matter. Dark sugary water is a vital part of the US national culture and heritage! But, with a Christmastime birthday, aren't you entitled to TWO presents?

I like machines. I'm typing on one. What I don't like are machines that don't work. Then I want someone to FIX it, pronto, because I don't like it anymore. Then, I'll like it again.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » November 3rd, 2010, 5:52 pm

Mira, when a machine stop working, I want to throw it against a wall several times and then throw it out a window, without opening the window first. THEN someone can try to fix it, and the window. I'm a man, of course...

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » November 5th, 2010, 1:28 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Mira, when a machine stop working, I want to throw it against a wall several times and then throw it out a window, without opening the window first. THEN someone can try to fix it, and the window. I'm a man, of course...
Of course.

Mira

Post by Mira » November 5th, 2010, 3:23 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Mira, when a machine stop working, I want to throw it against a wall several times and then throw it out a window, without opening the window first. THEN someone can try to fix it, and the window. I'm a man, of course...
J.T., see this is where women are way more mature than men. Our way of dealing with broken machines is much more effective than violently assaulting them. Females take the more useful course of bursting into tears, begging and pleading, telling the machine we hate it, then apologizing and telling the machine we love it, then taking it all back and threatening to throw it against the wall and out a window if it doesn't shape up. Then we burst into tears again.

I hope you've learned something from this, J.T. If you haven't......I might burst into tears, just so you're aware.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » November 7th, 2010, 7:26 pm

I misunderstand perfectly, Mira! But I forgot to mention the part where I shout at and kick around any pets or children within striking distance. Because IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT! Then I look out the smashed window at the passerby lying moaning on the pavement, head bleeding profusely where my computer hit him, and shout at him that IT'S ALL HIS FAULT TOO! Then I sulk for the rest of the week.

Mira

Post by Mira » November 9th, 2010, 11:57 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:I misunderstand perfectly, Mira! But I forgot to mention the part where I shout at and kick around any pets or children within striking distance. Because IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT! Then I look out the smashed window at the passerby lying moaning on the pavement, head bleeding profusely where my computer hit him, and shout at him that IT'S ALL HIS FAULT TOO! Then I sulk for the rest of the week.
I see. Well, as a woman, maybe I can give you a few other options - ways to deal with your anger that are more effective. For example, I find it works better if you don't kick the cat, and then kick the children. Instead, simply pick up the cat and throw it at the children. Or I suppose vice versa would work too. It also helps if you scream,"AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH" while you're throwing. I don't know why the screaming helps, but I always feel better when I add that part in. Anyway, I think you'll find this accomplishes the same thing, but it's more efficient.

I can't improve on the sulking though. That's such an important detail, kudos on the sulking!

Pete

Post by Pete » November 11th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Having owned both, the real question is what's the point of either when there's an iPad to be had. Buying a Kindle/Nook rather than an iPad is like buying a beeper instead of a phone. And even price shouldn't matter much because. as you know if you've owned many Apple products, you can sell your iPad any time for nearly what you bought it for.
"Three huzzahs for A.S. Peterson: The Fiddler’s Gun is an achievement.”—Jonathan Rogers, Author of The Wilderking Trilogy

“Peterson is a natural-born storyteller.” —Allan Heinberg, Executive Producer, Grey’s Anatomy

midnightblooms

Post by midnightblooms » November 12th, 2010, 12:54 pm

I'm actually considering this question myself. I'm leaning towards a Nook.

1) I like the feel and operation of the Nook over the Kindle.
2) Amazon has been acting quite horribly lately.
3) I prefer Nook's screen.
4) I already have several e-books from B&N and none from Amazon.

But I haven't had much chance to look at a Kindle. I-pads are nice, but too big for reading while curled up on the sofa and out of my price range. Also, I have a laptop for all that stuff and I prefer to type on a keyboard.

KatieT

Post by KatieT » January 30th, 2011, 2:58 pm

I see that this thread went into a coma a few months ago, but given the rise in eBook and eReader sales, I thought I'd revive it with my feedback.

I finally got a B&N Nook just a few days ago, after months of researching.

The e-ink technology is incredible on both the Nook and the Kindle, and makes reading for hours at a time an enjoyable and stress-free activity.

The Kindle is great, BUT (and this is a big "but"), its software platform is proprietary, and therefore, you are limited only to the eBooks that Amazon sells for the Kindle. Also, it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the iPad or the Nook. I'm not a big fan of the keyboard on the Kindle, too, though for those of you who don't like touch-screens, or for the older generation who wouldn't know what to do with one, it's a good choice.

The Nook has an open format, and allows EPUB formatted eBooks, so you can download books from almost anywhere, and read them on your Nook. It also has an open Android platform subject to future app development, a changeable battery (you have to send your Kindle in for a new battery), a micro-SD slot for expanded memory, a web browser, two games (Sudoku and Chess), a lending feature, downloadable coupons for the books and the coffee shop, the ability to download books from certain libraries, daily information blogs from B&N, customizable screensavers and wallpaper, MP3 capability for audio books and music, improved sorting and archiving options, a dictionary, highlighting options, and the ability to read entire e-books while in the B&N store.

So, in short, the Nook is my choice! I believe it is definitely the only worthy competitor of the Kindle at this moment. I am an Apple lover, and did consider the iPad, but I already have an iPhone and an iPod, so I didn't really need the iPad. Plus, it had an LCD screen, so it's just like reading on a computer screen (i.e., not easy on the eyes, especially for prolonged reading). If you have an iPhone and either the Kindle or the Nook, each eReader has apps for the iPhone that allow you to read your library on your iPhone, too. So, there is no real reason to get an iPad as an eReader.

I hope this helps!
If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it. - Anais Nin

Margo

Post by Margo » January 31st, 2011, 12:25 pm

midnightblooms makes a good argument. I've been going back and forth on this issue, but Amazon has almost decided it for me. I like the Nook screen better, and I dislike Amazon's business practices. However, I've been reluctant about the Nook with the state of big box bookstores, what with Borders just about dead. The last thing I need to do is spend money on an e-reader and ebooks from a company that might go out of business in the near future.

Then something interesting happened on the self-pub ebook front. Amazon started censoring content, kicking e-books off its site because they violated a nebulous policy that Amazon refuses to clarify. These same books remained on B&N's site. For the first time, self-pubbed ebook authors reported that their B&N sales exceeded their Amazon sales (in one case, that was thousands of copies), as sales of the censored books shot up. Of course, I'm not suggesting that B&N is going to squish Amazon based on self-pub ebook sales, but it was the first time I've seen a competitor to Amazon successfully step up and take advantage of an Amazon mistake - even if it was only by not deleting books. This traffic redirected from Amazon to B&N has the possibility of staying with B&N, not only for self-pub ebooks but for other book-related sales. The authors who felt cheated by Amazon will now look more favorably toward B&N, moving B&N up on their priority list as a preferred distributor (even if B&N still isn't higher on the list than ebook behemoth Amazon).

I think it is probably pretty safe to buy a Nook now, as Amazon has made sure B&N will be around for a few more years. Thanks, Amazon.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/