Screen Names

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Screen Names

Post by dios4vida » October 28th, 2010, 1:26 pm

I was commenting in the "Random Things About You" thread about my screen name and had a thought.

Some of us have interesting screen names. I wonder, what does yours mean? How did you come up with it?

For me, mine is Spanglish (half Spanish, half English) - "dios" (God) 4 "vida" (life). I needed an email address when I left for college, and since my relationship with God is very important to me, it just worked. I can't take credit though, because my friend Gracie came up with the actual phrase.

So how about you?
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

sbs_mjc1

Re: Screen Names

Post by sbs_mjc1 » October 28th, 2010, 2:29 pm

Ours is totally unoriginal, just initials-- SBS for me (S.B. Stewart-Laing), and MJC for Michael.
http://sb-writingtheother.blogspot.com/
FORGOTTEN GODS is out September 17th 2011! Check the blog for details.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » October 28th, 2010, 3:56 pm

My husband played basketball for and we both graduated from UNC - Charlotte (the Charlotte 49ers). It's been my screen name since 2004 when I was planning our wedding. :D

heyimkt

Post by heyimkt » October 28th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Great idea! Mine's pretty dang original: hey im kt (kt being my name). Hahah

Robin

Post by Robin » October 28th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Lol! I guess my creativity Button was switched to 'off' the day I picked my screen name :(
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » October 29th, 2010, 1:10 am

Why did I chose the screen name J. T. SHEA? Good question. Let me think...Oh yeah! It's my name.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » October 29th, 2010, 11:45 am

J. T. SHEA wrote:Why did I chose the screen name J. T. SHEA? Good question. Let me think...Oh yeah! It's my name.
I've actually wondered - are J.T. just your initials or do you go by J.T.? Random, I know, but those are the things I think of.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sara007

Post by Sara007 » October 29th, 2010, 3:58 pm

I think "Sara" was already taken here, as is often the case for email addresses, usernames etc., so I started adding "007" anytime that was the case because any association with Bond--James, Bond--is fun :)

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 29th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Sommer is my first name. Not a penname. I've really been Sommer my whole life :-)

Leigh, however, is not my real last name. It is my middle name.

When I decided I was going down the publishing route and I wanted to switch over my online presence to dedicate to my writing life and journey towards publication and a writing career, I dumped all my old screen names and decided to write strictly under my name. Except my husband and I decided I would not be writing under my married name. I've mentioned before, but my husband is a high school English teacher and my target audience is YA. He wanted some anonymity when they day comes I finally do publish. Also because my married last name is kind of ugly. I mean, it is German, clunky to pronounce, and difficult to spell. I decided to drop the married name and just go with Leigh.

So, long story short, Sommer Leigh is my name. And honestly, I like Sommer Leigh so much I'm tempted to make it my legal name.

I do use another screen name sometimes, just not here. It is my email address and title of my blog: TellGreatStories.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

abc

Post by abc » October 29th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Alison Brooke Coffey = abc
And I guess I just feel like a lower case kind of person.

polymath

Post by polymath » October 29th, 2010, 4:46 pm

polymath; a person of encyclopedic learning. Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary.

I like the poly suffix for multiple because it reflects my view of technology's influence on existence as a poly proxy reality. Besides, pursuing an encyclopedic learning has appealed to me all of my many years.

I use different sceen names at the many online venues I participate because protecting my privacy is very important to me. It doesn't always work out though. My polymathic voice is kind of distinctive. I've been outed and tattled on once or twice with no happy outcome. And I've been followed by malevolent trolls intent on harshing my mellow.
Spread the love of written word.

Margo

Post by Margo » October 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm

polymath wrote:polymath; a person of encyclopedic learning. Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary.
Dangit. I was sure it meant you knew how to do several kinds of math: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and maybe long division. I was hoping, anyway. ;P
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

polymath

Post by polymath » October 29th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Margo wrote:
polymath wrote:polymath; a person of encyclopedic learning. Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary.
Dangit. I was sure it meant you knew how to do several kinds of math: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and maybe long division. I was hoping, anyway. ;P
I am barefoot count to twenty able, fingers and toes. Actually, I'm up to advanced algebra and considering advanced coursework in trigonometry and statistics. I had so much fun with algebra I'd kind of like to see how much fun those others are.
Spread the love of written word.

Mira

Post by Mira » October 29th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Mira is a part of my real name, which is Miranda.

I'm actually sort of tired of it now - which I could change it. :p

unwieldy

Post by unwieldy » October 29th, 2010, 6:57 pm

I'm awkward and difficult to carry.