what makes you choose a book??

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
tanvi02

what makes you choose a book??

Post by tanvi02 » August 27th, 2010, 7:26 am

is it the title of the book or the cover?? or you read choose to read a book on somebody's recommendation

Sommer Leigh

Re: what makes you choose a book??

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 27th, 2010, 8:21 am

All of the above and about a dozen other random criteria.

The cover and title are all big sells for me. I've purchased books before based completely on the beautiful cover art that spoke to, or drew me into, a place I knew I'd enjoy exploring (hush,hush by Becca Fitzpatrick and Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender to name two outstanding coves and titles). I've also NOT bought books for the same reason. It took me more than a year to pick up the first Hunger Games book because I thought it was a soviet spy thriller and I didn't think I'd like it. Covers with dangling body parts - random posed legs, torsos, feet and hands in particular - really turn me off. I tend to glance over them in favor of others and won't pick them up unless someone pushes them on me.

Which brings me to word of mouth. I read a lot of book blogs, and when I see a book blogger whose taste tends to match mine and they recommend a book, I'll go straight to Amazon and buy it or add it to my wish list for a later purchase.

I'm also a loyal reader, so once an author wows me, I tend to keep them on my radar (thank god most YA authors have blogs and websites!) I almost always pick up their next book when it is released. Those tend to be the ones I preorder.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 27th, 2010, 11:12 am

Back cover copy. Word of mouth. (Though that one hasn't worked out too much lately.) Face-outs and end-caps. (Which cost extra in placing books in stores.) Sometimes the title. I picked up "Princess Ben" based on the title, read the copy, bought it and enjoyed it. Lately it seems like the books that are wildly popular, that everyone is buzzing about, fail to engage me when I break down and buy a copy. I do stick to authors, too. I like when there's a series. I like discovering new authors, too. That's the beauty of the blogosphere.

arbraun

Post by arbraun » August 28th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Word of mouth, and I'll stick with an author if I know he writes well consistently. I don't care about the cover. The book could have the boldest artwork and the brightest colors and, if it's not my thing as far as content, I won't like it, though a sharp cover is nice to look at. Also, availability plays a factor. If I can't find the book I probably won't buy it. Moreover, novels that can be found in paper and on all the available e-readers have a better chance of lightening my wallet.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » August 29th, 2010, 4:25 pm

I'm a terrible sucker for purchasing by the cover at times. Hush Hush was definately one of those times, but it didn't help that I resisted at first and I had a nagging voice in my head saying 'buy that book'. The voice is usually right. I also buy because of that voice.

I also like to read because of my friends but they're only 50% good at me liking things they do so I've stopped listening. They tend to like popular things and I don't.

I love research. I have books because I like to learn obscure things, or things dealing with my book. Such as angels, spiders, clothing, gardening, wolves, and so forth. I have a shelf dedicated to research material.

I also like old books. The way they smell and feel under my fingers. So there's that as well.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

wetair

Post by wetair » August 29th, 2010, 9:27 pm

mostly, word of mouth. blogs and various threads on book social networking sites. author websites - if i like an author, i will visit the website and see what else there is. can't remember the last time i walked in (library or bookstore) and just got a book because the cover or title looked good.

sakura

Post by sakura » September 17th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Word of mouth is a big one for me. But if I'm in the store or library just looking then it's usually the title and the cover that catch my eye. Then I'll read the back and if it sounds good I'll get it.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » September 18th, 2010, 12:56 am

I don't pick books to read after only looking at the cover or even after only reading the blurb. I've very thorough in the 'picking a book to read' process. I go through multiple summaries of the story, look at reviews on various websites, and then maybe skim the chapters or read the first chapter--AND THEN I decide whether I want to read it or not. It's a long process, but it really does make the book worth reading at the end, just because by that point, I know whether it's going to be for me or not. Even if they're recommended to me, they still go through the same process.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » September 18th, 2010, 6:32 pm

I go by word-of-mouth mostly, but I admit buying books based on the awesomeness of the cover art. Sometimes I'm sorry, sometimes not. I rarely read anything on the top ten best-seller lists, so I'm willing to take a chance on lesser known or first time authors. If the title is good, the art on the cover draws me in, and the blurb on the back has a hook, I'll buy it. I might not finish it, but that's another matter.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » September 19th, 2010, 2:29 am

Usually, if people are raving a book, I avoid reading it. I'm not sure why. Occasionally, if something is really hyped I'll read a synopsis and decide if I like it.

I'm a big one for covers. Hunger Games, I resisted for ages until I couldn't bare the hype. I caved, and I actually like it. Bu the thing is, I'll buy a hook with a good cover even if I don't plan on reading it (the house of night books, for instance).

Otherwise, like others, I'll buy something if it's by an author I love. I'm a very loyal reading and even if they disappoint me, I don't give up under the hope that the next one will be brilliant again.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

AMSchilling

Post by AMSchilling » September 19th, 2010, 9:36 am

I admit that cover art is huge for me, as is a title that makes me curious. If one is bad and the other good, that's okay. I just need one to catch my attention. From there I read the blurb on the back. Then I open the book. I read the first paragraph, and I can usually tell by the end of it if it's a "Yes" or a "No" for me. If I'm not sure, I'll go to paragraph two. At the end of that: Did the book suck me in? Did I try to keep reading on beyond those first few paragraphs, with my 4 yr old tugging on my leg and shoppers trying to push past me to get through the aisle? If so, it's a definite buy. And if it's from certain favorite authors, I'll buy it regardless. They've proven to me, over and over, that they hook me in no matter what it is. If I end up with a stinker from them I can deal with it. They usually don't let me down.

If it's a series, and I've enjoyed the first book, I'll buy the next. Even if the reviews are horrible. Just to form my own opinion. The exception to the series rule for me is "The Hunger Games." I didn't read it until recently, and after some of what I read about "Mockingjay," I'm wary to move on to book two. The first one was so good, I don't want to end things with disappointment. So we'll see--the internal jury is still out of that one.
-Amy

"Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open." - Stephen King

http://www.amschilling.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Schill ... 9869525150

Mira

Post by Mira » September 20th, 2010, 5:33 pm

If I see a cover or a title I LOVE, that might tempt me, but I'll still read the reviews before buying it. I guess reputation, reviews, friend's recommendations and books by authors I've read previously are the main reasons I will buy a book.